Sign in to follow this  
shadowfigment

Reality TV = "Real Lie" TV

What Do You Think Of Reality Televison?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think Of Reality Televison?

• I Love It
    • I Hate It
    • I Dont Care (I Only Watch Enterprise)
    • I Dont Watch Television At All

I was channel surfing though my numerous channels and found loads of Reality Television shows. I am not a Reality Television fan, what is the general purpose of this kind of television and does anyone else think of it as a cancer eating at the brains of mortals?

What do you think?

:cool:

I will admit thet when the first couple reality shows came out and they hadn't really taken off yet, I liked them. Then a couple realy good ones came out (Real World, the original Survivor, Big Brother) and the networks saw that 'hey, these people are accually wasting there time and watching this junk' and decided to make it in every possible pointless flavor. That is why we have to suffer landing on one on those shows every other channel. And yes, I voted that I hate them. :huh:

I voted - I Hate It

I'm not a big TV watcher as I prefer movies aside from Trek & SG-1, but I think reallity TV is crapola. It's just a cheap and crude way to improve the network's ratings. Really, what's the point? Who cares about some stranger on some island or whatever? I watch TV to be entertained. What entertains me is well written, well acted, and well directed drama with a sit-com on the side. :huh:

I only watched 1 season of Survivor. It was cool, but not enough to get me to watch the next season. Everything else I've seen is pretty awful so I voted I hate it.

I voted I hate it...How many people do you know that eat worms or have been stranded on an island or have people lined up tp date them? So why is it reality TV? :huh:

The only reaily tv I watch is suvivor. I like it because I like seeing who is going to get voted off that show. But most of the other stuff is just crap. They are just trying to bank on the fame of suvivor.

I watched the original Survivor, and it really bothered me..........I can't get into all of the back stabbing, vicious, "I'll do anything for money," behaviors...............it's just not my kind of entertainment.

I openly say it, I HATE THE DANG BLASTED "REALITY" TV.

In Britain we have 5 terestrial channels and 3 of them air this, this...grrrr

I swear I spend so much time online because of it and I have cable and we have at least four channels showing the stuff for a min of 12 hours straight grrr!

Edited by Unadopted Angelic

What I think is interesting about "The Real World" and "Survivor" is that camera crews shoot as much footage that they possibly can, and then edit the footage to show the audience what they want everyone to see.

I voted - I Hate It

I'm not a big TV watcher as I prefer movies aside from Trek & SG-1, but I think reallity TV is crapola.  It's just a cheap and crude way to improve the network's ratings.  Really, what's the point?  Who cares about some stranger on some island or whatever?  I watch TV to be entertained.  What entertains me is well written, well acted, and well directed drama with a sit-com on the side. :eek:

My question would be this, for everyone (not just CJLP) that hates these shows.

Have you ever watched them? When I say "watched them" I mean from episode one to Episode 13 of a full season (13 episodes of Survivor per season).

There is at least one member of this message board that had the same reaction to Survivor "I hate those shows, what's the point?", I convinced this person to give it a chance and watch this season that started on Feb 1. After watching the first Episode this person is now hooked. I will let that person remain anonymous unless he/she wishes to say who he/she is, but it goes to show that if you don't give something a chance you might be missing something really interesting.

The interesting part of Survivor is the personal interaction of the outcasts. How to they deal with each other. One show a tribe member opened a can of beans and ate them (with one other tribe mate) while the other 6 people were away. How do you deal with someone that you can't trust with the tribes food?

If you want to learn about human interactions in extreme situations I think Survivor is a good show to watch. It is manipulated through editing of course but that doesn't change the actions and reactions of the people in the video.

I would urge anyone that hasn't given the show a chance by at least watching 1 or 2 to give it a chance. If you don't like it after seeing a couple and you still hate it I can respect that, just don't shoot it down before givint it a shot.

BTW I didn't vote becaise I don't see all "reality shows" as the same. Some are more "reality" then others. It would be like judging TOS based on watching Lost In Space. They are both Sci-Fi but still completely different.

Mr. President. I can parallel with what you are saying...

I would urge anyone that hasn't given the show a chance by at least watching 1 or 2 to give it a chance. If you don't like it after seeing a couple and you still hate it I can respect that, just don't shoot it down before giving it a shot.

However… I can not parallel with you on the following section…

If you want to learn about human interactions in extreme situations I think Survivor is a good show to watch. It is manipulated through editing of course but that doesn't change the actions and reactions of the people in the video.

I think that the Eco Challenge is a better representation of human interactions in extreme situations. If you have not heard of this endurance race (or seen broadcasts of the competitions on television) I implore you to keep an eye out for it. Team members must overcome numerous hardships and work together in very difficult situations to make it to the end of the race.

Now while Survivor is a test to make it to the end of the game by completing puzzles, working with team members, and completing other activities. I do not see the player’s situations as being all that extreme or difficult.

My money is on the Eco Challenge for true interactions in extreme situations.

http://www.ecochallenge.com/race.html

Edited by shadowfigment

I voted - I Hate It

I'm not a big TV watcher as I prefer movies aside from Trek & SG-1, but I think reallity TV is crapola.  It's just a cheap and crude way to improve the network's ratings.  Really, what's the point?  Who cares about some stranger on some island or whatever?  I watch TV to be entertained.  What entertains me is well written, well acted, and well directed drama with a sit-com on the side. :bow:

My question would be this, for everyone (not just CJLP) that hates these shows.

Have you ever watched them? When I say "watched them" I mean from episode one to Episode 13 of a full season (13 episodes of Survivor per season).

I usually watch a whole season before deciding if I like it or not unless it's really bad, really borring, or just not interresting.

There is at least one member of this message board that had the same reaction to Survivor "I hate those shows, what's the point?", I convinced this person to give it a chance and watch this season that started on Feb 1. After watching the first Episode this person is now hooked. I will let that person remain anonymous unless he/she wishes to say who he/she is, but it goes to show that if you don't give something a chance you might be missing something really interesting.

I don't see a point to the shows becuase it's not telling a story. I really don't give a flip what Sally and Bob are doing on an island. :bow: I watch TV for drama, comedy, and the news. B)

The interesting part of Survivor is the personal interaction of the outcasts. How to they deal with each other. One show a tribe member opened a can of beans and ate them (with one other tribe mate) while the other 6 people were away. How do you deal with someone that you can't trust with the tribes food?

I really don't care about their relationships and interractions. As I said before, there's no story. These are strangers. I don't care what strangers do in their spare time. As for seeing some person steal a can of food? How pointless! Who cares! Good grief. That's another reason why I don't like reallity shows. The cast members are completely morally corrupt people.

In my opinion, it's all about the shock value.

I would urge anyone that hasn't given the show a chance by at least watching 1 or 2 to give it a chance. If you don't like it after seeing a couple and you still hate it I can respect that, just don't shoot it down before givint it a shot.

I aallways give a show 3 complete episodes before dismissing it as junk unless it's perverted or extremely violent.

BTW I didn't vote becaise I don't see all "reality shows" as the same. Some are more "reality" then others. It would be like judging TOS based on watching Lost In Space. They are both Sci-Fi but still completely different.

I agree here. Some reallity shows stink while others are borring. Hmm...

In conclussion: If they were to do a reallity show about a family on a farm, I'd be thrilled and very entertained. Unfortunately, most of reallity TV is nothing more than shock-value.

I usually watch a whole season before deciding if I like it or not unless it's really bad, really borring, or just not interresting.

So does that mean you have seen a season of Survivor? Which season? The one in Africa wasn't too good.

I don't see a point to the shows becuase it's not telling a story.  I really don't give a flip what Sally and Bob are doing on an island. :bow:  I watch TV for drama, comedy, and the news. B)

But they are telling a story. Not all stories on TV are scripted. There is drama and there is comedy. No real news is in the story other then the news of the show itself. I get the feeling you are going on your initial impulse on what you believe the show is without giving it a chance.

I really don't care about their relationships and interractions.  As I said before, there's no story.  These are strangers.  I don't care what strangers do in their spare time.  As for seeing some person steal a can of food?  How pointless!  Who cares!  Good grief.  That's another reason why I don't like reallity shows.  The cast members are completely morally corrupt people.

Like I said, there is a story there it's just not a scripted story. These are real people doing real things in real life. If anything, going by that logic it could be said "Who cares about fake people in a made up future doing things that no human being will ever do, I don't care about Hoshi and Mayweather and who cares if Archer has Porthos with him. They are all make believe, and a war between giant ants and humans? How pointless! Who cares! Good grief."

In my opinion, it's all about the shock value.

Of course there's shock value, why else do you think they show T'Pol taking her shirt off?

I aallways give a show 3 complete episodes before dismissing it as junk unless it's perverted or extremely violent.

But you just said you give it a full season :bow:

In conclussion: If they were to do a reallity show about a family on a farm, I'd be thrilled and very entertained.  Unfortunately, most of reallity TV is nothing more than shock-value.

They have, with Paris Hilton called "Real World" (I think that was the name). I don't think it was one you would have enjoyed though, I didn't see any of the episodes but have been told it was pretty bad.

How about this I challange you to watch every one of the remaining 11 episodes of Survivor All-Stars and in return I will watch an entire season of a show you pick.

The only one I like personally is, The Amazing Race, just because they go all over the world and you can learn so much by watching it.

I hate reality tv shows theres one here in holland called TEMPTATION ISLAND

its just stupid going to a island with your partner and being split up and put in a

villa with single girls or boys whos job it is to get you to fall for them.. :bow:

VBG, I'll watch those 11 episodes if you download and watch the first season of either Roswell or Stargate SG-1. Whichever you've seen less of, including later seasons.

As for wether or not reallity shows are any good: The reason why I don't like them is because anyone can pick up a camera and film strangers doing challenges and just hanging arround. What I like to see is a well scripted, well acted, and well directed drama, usually a sci-fi drama. Yes, it's ficitional, but to me, that's the whole point. I want to be entertained by a truelly fictional show for an hour. If I want to watch reallity TV, to me, it's the same as going and sitting in a stranger's house and watching what they do. It's either borring, disgusting, or shock-value.

VBG, the Survivor show you want us to try 11 episodes of, please tell me it's not the same one with a naked man.

I hate reality tv shows theres one here in holland called TEMPTATION ISLAND

its just stupid going to a island with your partner and being split up and put in a

villa with single girls or boys whos job it is to get you to fall for them.. :bow:

To me, temptation is related to evil. For example, Satan would tempt you to go do something where as God let's you choose of your own free will.

Why on Earth anyone would go to place called "Temptation Island" and actually expect their relationship to survive is beyond me.

i had to put i dont watch tv at all because i dont have a dish/cable to actually WATCH the reality shows, and i don't want to watch any, because they seem boring, and they are all about money, its (in the words of the great austing powers) not My Bag, baby

The scary truth is that although these shows are easily cobbled together. They are expensive to make and the more they push out to make and recouperate costs the more we get annoyed and inevitably switch (as is the case in Europe).

The reality television phenomenon is becoming one of ever decreasing returns and will be replaced, one would hope, by quality television.

I voted 'Yes Love them!' But let me say I don't love all of them. The Bachelor and Bachlorette are crap, so is Joe Millionaire and other dating hookup shows.

But I really do love to watch Survivor! To me thats some great entertainment on that show with people you actually grow to like and hate, for Me I love Rupert, hate Richard and Jenna.

I also love to watch Big Brother, The Amazing Race, The Mole (Even Celebirty Mole), The Real World and Fear Factor

I look at them more as game shows than reality TV,And I like a good game show, they all are playing for money and prizes and its entertaining to watch these people try and out-do each other to win the game.

I'll admit, I like MTV's Real World that was the first "reality" television show and ofte gave an experience of the world to the youth that they maynot have had otherwise. But also it wasn't canned television, there were no challenges and such pithy escuses for entertainment.

The real world also helped enlighten people about lifestyles and illnesses such as AIDS. This was an example of quality "reality" television. All these contestant gameshows masquerading as "reality" television should look at what really makes up good television for the masses.

VBG, I'll watch those 11 episodes if you download and watch the first season of either Roswell or Stargate SG-1.  Whichever you've seen less of, including later seasons.

VBG, the Survivor show you want us to try 11 episodes of, please tell me it's not the same one with a naked man.

Yep it's the one with Richard Hatch (The naked man) but they never show him nude. They always cover him so nothing can be seen. But that's the fun part of the show, hoping he gets voted off next and rooting for him to lose.

If you would rather do this challange when you can see a full season (you've already missed the first 2 episodes) we can do this next season but that's about 6 months away. Or if you would rather you can download Season 7 of Survivor from Suprnova. They have the full season up there, they also have the 2 episodes from this season you have missed.

As for wether or not reallity shows are any good: The reason why I don't like them is because anyone can pick up a camera and film strangers doing challenges and just hanging arround.  What I like to see is a well scripted, well acted, and well directed drama, usually a sci-fi drama.  Yes, it's ficitional, but to me, that's the whole point.  I want to be entertained by a truelly fictional show for an hour.  If I want to watch reallity TV, to me, it's the same as going and sitting in a stranger's house and watching what they do.  It's either borring, disgusting, or shock-value.

But have you watched any of them? Do you know from first hand knowledge that the shows are no good? Do you know from first hand knowledge that all it is is some guy with a camera being bored, shocked and disgusted?

How many episodes/seasons of which show/shows have you watched to form that opinion?

When the first survivor came out it looked really dumb and did not watch it except the end of the last show. Then for some reason I did watch the next season and was hooked. I have watched every season since then. I really like watching and seeing what is going to happen and who will be voted off next. I have never watched big brother or real world so I can't say I like of dislike those. I do like fear factor and dog eat dog but I do consider them game shows not reality tv.

When the first survivor came out it looked really dumb and did not watch it except the end of the last show.  Then for some reason I did watch the next season and was hooked.  I have watched every season since then.  I really like watching and seeing what is going to happen and who will be voted off next.  I have never watched big brother or real world so I can't say I like of dislike those.  I do like fear factor and dog eat dog but I do consider them game shows not reality tv.

I've seen almost all of the Survivor episodes now, but the first season I only watched a few here and there and then watched the final episode. My initial reaction was that it was a good show but they seemed to play the whole "naked gay man" thing a little much. I understood why though, especially since his closest ally on the show was the exact opposite. A Navy SEAL that didn't much care for gay men.

One thing about the show, they have a good cross section of people. Of course with All-Stars it's all about conflict but you still see a good cross section IMO.

Reality TV isn't real, I think. you want Reality TV, try live feed from Downtown Mogidishu. THAT'S reality. Sticking 5 couples on an island with 20 beautiful singles, that's just a ratings ploy. if you want real reality TV, then do a LIVE show (meaning none of this 5 second Delay) in an STD clinic.

Reality TV isn't real, I think. you want Reality TV, try live feed from Downtown Mogidishu. THAT'S reality. Sticking 5 couples on an island with 20 beautiful singles, that's just a ratings ploy. if you want real reality TV, then do a LIVE show (meaning none of this 5 second Delay) in an STD clinic.

It depends on what you classify as "reality TV". I wouldn't lump Survivor in with Joe Millionaire just like I wouldn't lump Star Trek in with X Files yet both of those are considered "Sci-Fi".