Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

World Populations and Available Acreage

Are you concerned about exploding World populations?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are you concerned about exploding World populations?

• Yes but not too worried yet, there is still lots of room left to go around.
    • Yes, something should be done before it's too late.
    • No, it's not my problem. I've got all the space I need now and will be dead before it really matters.
    • No, we're all going to be dead soon anyway.
    • No, Christ will return before it gets too overcrowded.

Here is a map of the World at night for you to see just how much people have multiplied and spread out and measure available room to grow.

Map of the World at night

If you think it looks like there is a lotta room remaining remember we need places to grow crops and have parks & forests etc etc...

Well AE I didn't vote because neither of those answers quite fits. Some countries have actually reached zero population growth - in fact some countries have fallen below the birthrate needed to maintain the population.

However, I am concerned about the situation in the U.S. Too many little girls are having babies at too young an age. That means new generations every 13 to 15 years rather than every 25.

Here's a chart comparing numbers between replacing the generation every 15 rather 25 years.

Ow well the chart didn't make it ...lets just say the population doubles much faster when you lower the replacement age

There are other concerns as well such regarding teenage parents.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I stand by the statement I made in the other thread. There is plenty of room. We just have to use it.

TUH,

I think "babies having babies" is a societal problem, but not because of overpopulation concerns. If it became more common, it could cause an overpopulation problem. Fortunately, I think the stigma we attach to it has kept it from becoming epidemic.

I have to say other actually because I believe Christ has already come, but he'll take care of it before it becomes a problem.

Sweet Picture I could see my city, TUH the teenage pregnancy thing I agree with to an extent but since it also lowers life expectancy from generation to generation so don't get to worried and it will also help to spread diseases so that will help with the population and level things out.

Whoa. That's alot. I may become a problem in the future, but for now (other than the super-populated centres like China and India), we should be fine.

Hay I live Australia the population density 'ere is about 2-3 people per km^2 but still while there may be plenty of land left on this world I dont know how much of that land is actually habitable.

Hay I live Australia the population density 'ere is about  2-3 people per km^2 but still while there may be plenty of land left on this world I dont know how much of that land is actually habitable.

Yeah we have the Arctic here in Canada and its very densly populated, the arguement of overcowarding is about greed and the distrubution of natural resources. If we continue this rapid incline of population we will enter a depression of biblical proportions.

Hay I live Australia the population density 'ere is about  2-3 people per km^2 but still while there may be plenty of land left on this world I dont know how much of that land is actually habitable.

Yeah we have the Arctic here in Canada and its very densly populated, the arguement of overcowarding is about greed and the distrubution of natural resources. If we continue this rapid incline of population we will enter a depression of biblical proportions.

Not all countries have a population growth issue and I've read of some European countries concerned about having negative population growth and how it will affect the workforce (tax base) etc.

I also wonder whether these projections of growth take into account the global AIDS epidemic. It is decimating parts of Africa.

I also read something about China, they took drastic steps to curtail growth but now it may be worse than they planned because they don't have a normal ratio of males/females. They have more males which makes opportunities to reproduce hard to come by. (off topic but this has caused additional social woes (

For the truly interested I found this site: I did not read the entire thing

MathModels

Malthus essay on population and misery written in 1798 - I plan to read this at some point

Malthus

Another site predicted global population will max out in 2040 and begin to decline.

IMO, I think war and disease will keep the population from growing as fast as predicted.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter