Enterprise and the Timeline

What is your opinion?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion?

• The whole timeline is totally screwed up
    • Its very screwed up
    • Its pretty screwed up
    • There are a lot of little glitchs
    • There are a few glitches (I HAVE seen a lot of VOY, DS9, TNG, OR TOS)
    • There are a few glitches (I HAVE NOT seen a lot of VOY, DS9, TNG, OR TOS)
    • There is hardly any problem (I HAVE seen a lot of VOY, DS9, TNG, OR TOS)
    • There is hardly any problem (I HAVE NOT seen a lot of VOY, DS9, TNG, OR TOS)
    • There are no errors (I HAVE seen a lot of VOY, DS9, TNG, OR TOS)
    • There are no errors (I HAVE NOT seen a lot of VOY, DS9, TNG, OR TOS)

Here are some examples:

Phasers shouldn't exist so they used "phase pistols".

Starfleet and the Federation were founded in 2161, but in 2153, they are in Starfleet.

Not really timeline, but it goes Daedelus, Akira (NX class), then Daedelus.

They were supposed to use nuclear weapons, but did they? NO!!!

And the #1 thing...

The Klingons have ridges!!!!!

Here are some examples:

Phasers shouldn't exist so they used "phase pistols".

How is this a problem? :waaaa:

Starfleet and the Federation were founded in 2161, but in 2153, they are in Starfleet.

What episode was this mentioned in? As far as I know, it's common knowledge what year the Federation was founed it, but not Starfleet. Since Starfleet has allways been mostly run by Humans, I think it's a nice touch to have it originate on Earth before the founding of the UFP.

Not really timeline, but it goes Daedelus, Akira (NX class), then Daedelus.

We don't know what the Daedelus-class looks like nor was there a date given for the prototype's launch, so where's the problem?

They were supposed to use nuclear weapons, but did they? NO!!!

Um... That was the 1960's dude. Based on today's tech, we'd probably have something more advanced by the mid-22nd century.

And the #1 thing...

The Klingons have ridges!!!!!

The TOS Klingons had no ridges becuase of a low budget, it would be braking continuity to have Klingons without ridges. Let it go...

I've actually noticed some errors in enterprize, like the first time they met the borg, they got a story a bit mixed up. Also in first contact, they stated that they hadn't seen them before. You'd think that as soon as enterprize met them, it would have created another timeline, and Picard would have had some leadings to the borg for first contact, and the name would be different as well.

I agree Captain....harrykim - i have seen EVERY VOY and DS9 episode imaginable....most of TNG and not much of TOS, but...according to a widely accepted theory - the Klingons experienced an injection of different blood to make them have ridges....it would be an OK reversal (considering the theory is non-canon) to say that the blood was inserted - caused the reversal and then contained with a stigma.

The phase pistols are fine.....who said they couldnt have phasers? The pistols actually look simplier than TOS.

The foundation of Starfleet NEVER canonly was mentioned. Section 31 was founded with Starfleet and the Federation - but ATM - current ENT timeline (ATM=at the moment)) may currently be 2 people, highly patriarcal, wanting the defend the Federation.

Daedelus???? WTF! dude....thats never been mentioned - and yes the ENT looks like the Akira - but its a cool design (actually kinda really nothing like it).

Nuclear Weapons? Where? Did i miss something? - Nukes.......dude. *shakes head* their almost obsolete now.

The Klingon ridge problem is above.

I've actually noticed some errors in enterprize, like the first time they met the borg, they got a story a bit mixed up. Also in first contact, they stated that they hadn't seen them before. You'd think that as soon as enterprize met them, it would have created another timeline, and Picard would have had some leadings to the borg for first contact, and the name would be different as well.

By First Contact - do you mean the movie?

If not, you mean "Q Who"....and you never know B&B may add in an element to explain why ENT's logs are never used again ---- destruction of the ship perhaps?

I don't think that anything that has been set in concrete has screwed up the timeline (I think we can argue our way around the Borg and the Ferengi easily enough) and I think that anything that looks questionable at present could be cleared up by the end of the Xindi story arc - we will just have to wait and see.

Someone mentioned about the foundation of the Federation not being mentioned in canon. Don't ask me which episode but I seem to remember the TNG crew sitting down to a game of poker and Deanna choosing 'Federation' where 2's, 6's and aces were wild because the Federation was founded in 2161.

I love this whole Klingon ridge argument - of course it's true that Kirk's Klingons were as they were due to budgetary constraints and naturally I think we would all be content to leave it at that were it not for Worf's remarks. Something happened, and I for one would love to see the show made that would explain what went on - it would be a classic!

I join the concensus that the Klingon Ridges can be forgiven, I guess the only thing that has ever really bothered me was the name of the ship. I know its a little complaint, but in "Trials and 'Tribble'ations" Sisko said that they saw the first Enterprise (Kirk's ship). Like i said it's a small thing, which could be explained maybe by an error by Sisko or, who knows, an altered timeline. Aside from that, Enterprise has remained very loyal to Trek's history.

Edited by TransporterMalfunction

I love this whole Klingon ridge argument - of course it's true that Kirk's Klingons were as they were due to budgetary constraints and naturally I think we would all be content to leave it at that were it not for Worf's remarks.  Something happened, and I for one would love to see the show made that would explain what went on - it would be a classic!

Worf's comments were intended as a joke in a spoof episode. :clap:

I join the concensus that the Klingon Ridges can be forgiven, I guess the only thing that has ever really bothered me was the name of the ship. I know its a little b**ch complaint, but in "Trials and 'Tribble'ations" Sisko said that they saw the first Enterprise (Kirk's ship). Like i said it's a small thing, which could be explained maybe by an error by Sisko or, who knows, an altered timeline. Aside from that, Enterprise has remained very loyal to Trek's history.

Maybe Sisko ment the first NCC-1701 Enterprise and not the first Starfleet ship named Enterprise?

Edited by Alterego

I voted There are no errors (I HAVE seen ALL of VOY, DS9, TNG, OR TOS)

The Klingon ridges mean nothing to me but if anything, Worfs statement could be explained during ENT making everyone happy with a closure to this issue.

The phase pistols rock!

As far as I know, it's common knowledge what year the Federation was founed it, but not Starfleet. Since Starfleet has allways been mostly run by Humans, I think it's a nice touch to have it originate on Earth before the founding of the UFP.

I agree.

The daedalus-class (what ever it is or whatever it looks like) comes later in the timeline.

Regarding the Borg and timeline continuity, I once read a post at st.com I've never forgotten: Any errors seen in the series after ENT are a mis-telling of history, what we see on ENT is what REALLY happened. :clap:

I know its a little b**ch complaint, but in "Trials and 'Tribble'ations" Sisko said that they saw the first Enterprise (Kirk's ship). Like i said it's a small thing, which could be explained maybe by an error by Sisko or, who knows, an altered timeline. Aside from that, Enterprise has remained very loyal to Trek's history.

Maybe Sisko ment the first NCC-1701 Enterprise and not the first Starfleet ship named Enterprise?

I agree Captain, obviously there is a distinction between StarFleet and the Federation.

--The daedalus-class (what ever it is or whatever it looks like) comes later in the timeline. ----

The daedalus class is an early star ship.It was mentioned as being the type of ship that was crashed-landed on the TNG episode where Troi,Data and O'Brien were "possessed" by the group of disembodied prisoners.According to the Star Trek chronology book they were decomissioned in 2196-so that would put them after Enterprise. They look like a standard Starfleet ship except the primary section is actually a sphere and the enginerring section is log shaped. It honestly looks more primative than the enterprise-it would be cool if they made the Enterprise look more retro.

I voted that there is hardly any problem and I have seen a lot of the other series.

Starfleet Academy insignia says 2161 however, the Star Trek Encyclopedia says that Starfleet was 'incorporated' when the Federation was founded. What I think is that 'Starfleet' on Enterprise is still UESPA but the nickname Starfleet has come about and fallen into common use. So when the Federation was founded Starfleet was incorporated under the name Starfleet as UESPA would no longer be appropriate.

Other than that there may be a few glitches here and there but no series has escaped making continuity errors.

--The daedalus-class (what ever it is or whatever it looks like) comes later in the timeline. ----

The daedalus class is an early star ship.It was mentioned as being the type of ship that was crashed-landed on the TNG episode where Troi,Data and O'Brien were "possessed" by the group of disembodied prisoners.According to the Star Trek chronology book they were decomissioned in 2196-so that would put them after Enterprise. They look like a standard Starfleet ship except the primary section is actually a sphere and the enginerring section is log shaped. It honestly looks more primative than the enterprise-it would be cool if they made the Enterprise look more retro.

Well, the "supposed" design for the Daedalus-class has never been seen on screen beyond a model in Sisko's office, on DS9, that fans assumed was the Daedalus-class. If it is indeed the Daedalus-class, it's smaller and primitive in comparrison to the NX-class. I'd like to see either a new design or a complete upgrade of the what people think is the Daedalus-class.

I voted that there is hardly any problem and I have seen a lot of the other series.

Starfleet Academy insignia says 2161 however, the Star Trek Encyclopedia says that Starfleet was 'incorporated' when the Federation was founded. What I think is that 'Starfleet' on Enterprise is still UESPA but the nickname Starfleet has come about and fallen into common use. So when the Federation was founded Starfleet was incorporated under the name Starfleet as UESPA would no longer be appropriate.

Other than that there may be a few glitches here and there but no series has escaped making continuity errors.

That doesn't make sense. I've never heard of UESPA in any of the shows, not even ENT, so why on Earth would they use it, hmm? My interpretation is that Starfleet goes from a Human organization to a Federation organization after being incorporrated in 2161.

Personally, I think the UESPA is silly and that it's something only hard-core fans would know of, leaving the casual viewer confused.

---Starfleet Academy insignia says 2161 however, the Star Trek Encyclopedia says that Starfleet was 'incorporated' when the Federation was founded. What I think is that 'Starfleet' on Enterprise is still UESPA but the nickname Starfleet has come about and fallen into common use. So when the Federation was founded Starfleet was incorporated under the name Starfleet as UESPA would no longer be appropriate.---

This is actually one of my major nits with Enterprise. The show started only 1 year after the United Earth government was formed in 2150 and they are already calling it Starfleet? It would have been a major nod to canon and old school Trekkers if they called it UESPA. UESPA stands for United Earth Space Probe Agency and it was mentioned a few times in TOS as the operating authority of the Enterprise ( Tomorrow is Yesterday is notable episode where its mentioned,and the US pilot from the 1960's Kirk says it to is shocked to hear United Earth :clap:

PS I also heard at a Star Trek convention that a UESPA patch was included in a glass case of patches in that bar shown in the Enterprise episode First Flight

Edited by MichaelJCO

I really have to say that ,despite the fact I think its being well done, my other big disappointment with Enterprise is the the Xindi storyline. I was hoping that Enterprise would have a Sol-Alpha Centauri- Wolf 359-Vulcan-Tellar-Andoria-Axanar- Romulans type of axis.The shows where it did were among my favorites. Hopefully we will see more of these in years 4-7. The Xindi storyline is a good precursor to forming the Federation as well-if it is done right.

Edited by Alterego

I voted hardly a problem with Enterprise and I've seen everything Star Trek.

The Klingon Foreheads not a big deal, We first see them like that in Kirk's time in the first Star Trek film. Worf says they don't like to talk about it, then I accept that as a good answer.

As for the Ferengi and Borg episodes, they can both be totally explaned and can fit into the timeline perfectly.

Enterprise is a great show that has stayed well within the continuity and timeline of the Star Trek universe.

I would vote for an option that was not added in the poll, i.e. 'I don't care about timelines and continuity'.

As long as the series scripts are of good quality then I'm not concerned if every acpect does not hold with previous series'.

I don’t think that there are too many errors so far, but remember that there is a lot of conjecture in this period of Star Trek, and not a lot of fact. So who cares if the writers take the conjecture and give it form.

A good example is the movie First Contact...

Before the eight Star Trek movie… the year of First Contact had been established as 2061. This number was derived from the back story in The Original Series Episode “Metamorphosis.” Since there had been no viewing of this event "officially" in a series (or movie) then this information was conjectural. After the movie, the date had been set as 2063 and conjecture was turned into fact.

And if you "really" want to get technical, the NX Enterprise looks nothing like the Enterprise shown on the recreation deck of the Enterprise refit in "Star Trek: The Motion Picture."

My point: Quit sweating the small stuff, and let the writers of Enterprise develop this unknown section of timeline.

:cool:

I really only have small nits about the timeline as when the Xindi arc started daniels stated that the timeline was changing do to the person that warned the Xindi about earth so at this point in the show they can do what ever they want and say it goes with that. But the things I don't like are more superficial like I would think that their uniforms would look more like TOS or maybe its because I don't like them. I do think that the phase pistols do look to advanced to sleek. I would think they would look more like the pistols in the cage. IMHO.

The phase pistols are fine.....who said they couldnt have phasers? The pistols actually look simplier than TOS.

In "A matter of time" Worf said phasers didn't exist until the 23rd century. Also, in "The Cage" (about 100 years after ent) they use laser weapons so phasers obviously werent in common use yet.

In "A matter of time" Worf said phasers didn't exist until the 23rd century. Also, in "The Cage" (about 100 years after ent) they use laser weapons so phasers obviously werent in common use yet.

You're right, phasers aren't invented till the 23rd century. They use phase pistols. :eek: As for laser weapons, um... We already know lasers can't be used like that so it'd be retarded to have Archer and crew use laser pistols. :)

Seriously, so what if somebody said this, that or the other thing. How do we know they knew what they were talking about? They could've made a mistake, just like any one of us. Trek scripts are not holy.

You're right, phasers aren't invented till the 23rd century.  They use phase pistols. :) As for laser weapons, um...  We already know lasers can't be used like that so it'd be retarded to have Archer and crew use laser pistols. :eek:

What do you mean that lasers can not be used as weaponry? If you think this then you are sadly mistaken. Lasers can be used as weaponry. Surely you have heard of SDI (Star Wars Defense Initiative). The technology is there.

You're right, phasers aren't invented till the 23rd century.  They use phase pistols. :eek: As for laser weapons, um...  We already know lasers can't be used like that so it'd be retarded to have Archer and crew use laser pistols. :eek:

What do you mean that lasers can not be used as weaponry? If you think this then you are sadly mistaken. Lasers can be used as weaponry. Surely you have heard of SDI (Star Wars Defense Initiative). The technology is there.

Did I say laser weapons can't be used for weaponry? No. :) I said they can't be used as they were in "The Cage". :)

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I just enjoy ENT so much and I love timeline stuff...I voted for hardly and I watch a lot.....they can do anything with the time line and fix it in another time line or turn it into a dream, its entertainment and I love and so far its great.

It's totally screwed up. Come on don't you think we've had found the Xindi by now? If there's so many species? I mean B&B have never seen an episode of TOS. I do remember the UFP flag flying at starfleet headquarters in an episode...? Why???

Someone's not been able to read the Star Trek Encyclopedia!!!!!!!!

Someone's not seen TOS!