Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

How to become a Star Fleet

Is graduating from Star Fleet academy the only way to become a Star Fleet officer? Or did they have programs like our current military where college graduates can enlist for officer training or college students can join the ROTC. I think they mentioned something like officer training in Voyager. It seems they need a lot more officers and crew than could fit in one year at the academy? Anybody have any history on this?

To become an officer you have to go to the Academy. They also had enlisted personnel who did not attend the Academy. I think the most they talk about enlisted personnel was in The Drumhead as Simon Tarses was enlisted and he discussed with Picard why he didn't go to the Academy. O'Brien was also enlisted.

To become an officer you have to go to the Academy.

Thanks, I guess I'm asking what is your source for that. I understand the difference between enlisted and officers but I know in an episode of Voyager they were discussing a recently demised crewmember who had been considering officer training. So I was wondering if there was anything written about it? Or if anyone else had ever thought about it before?

Can someone explain the difference between enlisted and officer?

Probably someone who has served in the military could better answer this but enlisted people start at the bottom; there are non-commissioned officers - these are the people that start out as enlisted and rise through the ranks. I believe Sargeant is a noncommissioned rank. Commissioned officers start out as officers. They can graduate from one of our military academies or they can attend ROTC during college. For example Senator McCain graduated from the US Naval Academy at Annapolis; Secretary of State Colin Powell entered the Army from ROTC. I believe college graduates can also attend Officer candidate school and become commissioned officers - I had a friend who did this. Star Trek uses the ranks the Navy uses - which is different than Air Force and Army.

Commissioned officers are the ones with the prestige.