Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Landing Parties

Should the Captain go on Landing Parties?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Captain go on Landing Parties?

• Yes he should (TOS Fan)
    • No he should not (TNG Fan)

I can see the humor in that statement, but I still think that the captain's place in on the bridge of his ship protecting the rest of his crew and leading them with his experience.

I agree. The captain's first duty is to his ship and her crew. He cannot fulfill this duty if he is not on the ship where he can monitor what is happening.

I can see the humor in that statement, but I still think that the captain's place in on the bridge of his ship protecting the rest of his crew and leading them with his experience.

I agree. The captain's first duty is to his ship and her crew. He cannot fulfill this duty if he is not on the ship where he can monitor what is happening.

yes, but thats what junior officers are for. from the ship you cant fully understand the situation on the planet, things on the ship should be running as always. thus, on the planet he would be of more use.

Should the captain go on away missions? 

As long as he's not wearing a red shirt, he should do just fine.

Lol ! That's why we knew Kirk would be safe with his yellow shirt.

Null vote. There are times when it could be ok and there are times when it would be too dangerous, there should be no absolute standard about this. Whether he can or cannot go should be a choice made depending on the circumstances. I understand this raises the question of, How do you know if it is safe or not?, that are what staff meetings are for, staff voices their concerns but the final choice should be the captains, imo.

I had to null my vote just like life it just depends on the situatiion. You might need the captian to go because the people might be insuled if the first officer went instead but if it looks like a lot of red shirts are going to die he should stay right in that seat. :dude:

Stardate:213438.9

I agree that it depends on the situation but on an average i belive the captain is too important to risk.

I voted no, actually at my house there are 5 votes for no, a captain should not go on away team missions. But as i am the only one registered here....only one of our votes count... darn

A captain dedication is to his ship...

And well, you need the better guy up there to take care of it and to be ready for battle and all.

If all the senior officers has trouble on land, what happends with the ship?