Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Spock and Sarek

I liked the idea of Spock having a disapproving father. It added a whole new dimension to Spock's character. Because Spock was half human, he had feelings - as much as he tried to dispel them on the outside. And his father's approval seemed to mean a lot to him. Remember his guilt in Star Trek 5: "so human". Spock was sort of between a rock and a hard place. Not like his mother, nor his father. She was the warm and the comforting while the father was the hard, and the sincere. I loved Journey to Babel because we see how the son and father manage in an awkward sort of relationshiop. It is clear that they love each other yet show it in a strange way. I often find myself having a similar relationship with my father. Awkward, but underneath all the masculinity - caring. In Star Trek 3 Sarek is almost emotional in his out burst with Kirk - "WHY did you leave him on Vulcan!!??!" Through the movies and eventually TNG this relationship continues, and we learn Spock never melded with his father. In the end, it is Picard that allows Spock to 'touch' his father.

A great relationship. Im glad they left Sarek out of Star Trek 5. That whole Sybok crap needed no further development.

Sarek and Spock never relised there bond. as father and son. Until it was to late. Sounds almost human?

I know this probably doesn't need to be said but Spock didn't have feelings just because he was 1/2 human., He had feelings because he was a living sentiant being. All vulcan's have feelings (especially Sarek) they just deeply supress and deny them. Sarek had feelings by the ton and Mark Leonard was fantastic in how he let us in on them. He was a loving husband, a passionate ambassador, harsh in his judgements sometimes and a loving proud father. His final recocilliation with Spock was wonderful. However, I feel his best performances were his mind meld with Picard and his final break down and loss of control. Sarek was a great character played by a fine actor. A best friend of James Dean BTW. :laugh:

Mark Lenard was a very good actor and portrayed Sarek very well even up to his final performance in Unification.

The Father-Son dynamic between the 2 of them really took on a new life with Star Trek III though.

It's a very human story where the parent and child have completely different views and ways to handle a situation, and still love each other but may never say it. It's just a great storyline that I'm sure Leonard had huge hand in developing