-"In the comics, Peter Parker designed and made Spider-Man's synthetic spider web and the mechanical wrist guns that fire it. In the movie he shoots the web from his own body. Director Sam Raimi answered the protests of comic book fans saying that it was more credible to have Peter shoot web this way than for a high school boy to be able to produce a wonder adhesive in his spare time that 3M could not make."

I would respectfully disagree with Mr. Raimi on this. Part of the comic's premise was that Peter Parker was a scientific genius. If anyone was smart enough, they could come up with something which may not occur to 3M. :spidy:

It doesnt come out here in holland till next week but i will be going to see it if i dont get it on DVD rip first :(

I am looking forward to seeing (most likely next Friday, July 9) I thought the first movie was great and enjoyed it. My favorite part was when he tried to remember how he shot the webbing from his hand "FLY!"

I too loved the animated series on FOX and have been somewhat of a Spider-man fan a very long time.

:spidy:

Ebert says it's possibly the best superhero movie ever made, I always listen to what Ebert says. We're going this week-end.

About the web argument; how logical would it be that the spider bite would alter Peters physiological makeup to include so many other spider abilities except the ability to spin webs? Personally I'm happy they opted to make the webbing part of his own physical ability and not some contraption he straps on.

I saw it Thusday night. I would give it :spidy: :spidy: :spidy: :spidy: (out of 4).

It is a classic.

I agree with Roger Ebert's comment about it being the best superhero film of all time. This film has action, depth, emotion, a message, and even some humor.

If you have not seen it, do NOT read the spoiler:

Click for Spoiler:

Random thoughts about the movie:

The train scene is a classic. I literally found myself getting a little dizzy watching it. And the end of it was just heartwarming. :clap:

Speaking of heartwarming, so was the speech by Aunt May to Peter where she tells him why we need heros. THIS was the true message of the movie, reinforced later by the train scene.

The relationship between Peter and MJ was played perfectly. I loved the resolution at the end. :theforce:

Doc Ock (Alfred Molina) was a tremendous villain. VERY believable and NOT 2-dimensional.

The battles between Spidey and Doc Ock are quite original and fun to watch.

Actually, part of the beauty of this film is how much depth the characters do have. Tobey Maguire is a master of the "awkward silence". Kirsten Dunst builds on the character she built in the first movie. You can even sense that MJ will eventually have problems with Parker's dedication to his "calling", no matter what she says.

Even Aunt May's character gets fleshed out. The funny thing is I never liked her character in the comic books. In this movie, she's great. I loved her "action" scene. :P

The only 2-dimensional character is J. Jonah Jameson (J.K. Simmons), but it is fun to watch him "chew the scenery". He provides some good comic relief. I especially loved the part where he is "mourning" Spiderman's retirement, and then changes his tune when Spidey steals his costume.

The Harry Osborne subplot builds well to the next movie.

While I can't relate to Harry, he does remind me of people I have known. On the other hand, I can relate to Peter Parker. Watching him, I think "If I had super powers, my life would be just as screwed up as his." :P

BTW, is there anyone left in New York who does NOT know Spiderman's secret identity? :hug:

Sam Raimi continues to earn my respect as a director.

Some good cameos by Cliff Robertson and William Dafoe. An especially good cameo by Bruce Campbell (does Raimi ever make a movie without Campbell?) as the usher at MJ's play. Did everyone else catch the cameo by Stan Lee?

Click for Spoiler:

Some good cameos by Cliff Robertson and William Dafoe. An especially good cameo by Bruce Campbell (does Raimi ever make a movie without Campbell?) as the usher at MJ's play. Did everyone else catch the cameo by Stan Lee?

I'm Sure He's Done...A Few Without Campbell, And Yeah..I Saw Stan Lee :theforce:. Great Review Man.

I thought the movie was AWESOME!!! I mean, they really outdid the first one, and Stan Lee's appearance was great as always (it's practially well known he appears in at least most of the marvel movies, thanks to NBC,ABC, CBS). And honestly, i think kirsten dunst is a great actor, much better then Tom Cruise's ex :P (dunst first major appearance was as the adolescent vampire girl in Interview with the Vampire, i think that says much). Regarding the spiderwebs, i don't have a problem with it, although there won't be that shock value when he get's the symbiote shooting organic webs. I'd like to see peter make the mechanical shooters as a backup, just in case something screwy occurs with the natural webbing.

Click for Spoiler:

You gotta love how Bruce Campbell acts, he's great as comic relief (albeit annoying comic relief this time). You just HAVE to love the part of the train scene after spidey saves the passengers.

I true enjoyed watching the movie. I will see it again this weekend! :spidy:

Guest Mike_Hines01

I rather enjoyed Spiderman 2, I didn't think I would so it was quite a suprise.

Spiderman 1 was a good Movie But Spiderman 2 was An AWesome Movie,I loved it!!

^^Kirsten Dunst is kind of a boring actress (at least to me). Someone a little more dynamic may have made MJ more interesting, but then again I think the dialogue was a bit of a losing battle for Dunst. That romance was the weak spot. And leaving that guy at the altar was not cool, even if she did it to be with Tobey MacGuire ... oops, I mean Peter Parker.

That said, may I just say that I cannot stand Harry Osborne and I hope Peter Parker seriously kicks his spoiled whiny rear-end in Spiderman 3.

Spidey 2 was a fantastic movie, just as good if not better than Spidey 1.

Yep, I loved Spider-man 2. Before I saw either of them I couldn't have cared less about Spider-man, but the movies changed my mind! They were great, and the second one was "definatly" better. Did you see that ending? When his friend founf that room in his house behind the mirror? Do you think he'll be the villain in 3?

Did you see that ending? When his friend founf that room in his house behind the mirror? Do you think he'll be the villain in 3?

Yes I do.

This is how it should go.

***These are just MY OWN PERSONAL IDEAS for the next couple of movies***

"Spider-Man III"

Spider-Man is dealing with Harry Osborn as the Second Green Goblin, also Captain John Jameson is on a Moon or Mars mission with NASA and brings back the "Venom" symbiont, and he becomes Venom. Harry has the grudge against Spidey, and Venom hates Peter for taking MJ from him, so Harry and Venom team up.

During the movie, Harry is almost killed in battle with Spider-Man in the same way his father died (getting speared by the Glider) but this time, Spidy saves him. He explains that's how his father died, and they make peace with each other. In the meantime, Venom is out of all control and and Spider-Man and the Goblin must work together to stop him. But during the battle, Mary Jane is again targeted by Venom and Harry dies to save her.

John is eventually freed from the symbiont which transfers itself to a another person called Cletus Cassidy who escapes (for a later movie). At the end of the movie, MJ and Pete decide that with him being Spider-Man, it's just too dangerous for them to be together, so she leaves NYC.

"Spider-Man IV"

The basic plot will be that after Harry's death, OsCorp has been struggling and will be the target of a takeover bid by avation tycoon Dr Adrian Toomes and his company Toomes Aerospace. He becomes "Vulture" the main villain for this movie. The other villain is Dr Curt Connors. He's devised a new treatment which will allow amputees to grow back their limbs using reptile DNA, but he tests it on himself and becomes "The Lizard". Kirsten Dunst will not be in this movie.

:waaaa::waaaa:

Edited by The King

Spider-Man is dealing with Harry Osborn as the Second Green Goblin, also Captain John Jameson is on a Moon or Mars mission with NASA and brings back the "Venom" symbiont, and he becomes Venom. Harry has the grudge against Spidey, and Venom hates Peter for taking MJ from him, so Harry and Venom team up. 

During the movie, Harry is almost killed in battle with Spider-Man in the same way his father died (getting speared by the Glider) but this time, Spidy saves him. He explains that's how his father died, and they make peace with each other. In the meantime, Venom is out of all control and and Spider-Man and the Goblin must work together to stop him. But during the battle, Mary Jane is again targeted by Venom and Harry dies to save her. 

John is eventually freed from the symbiont which transfers itself to a another person called Cletus Cassidy who escapes (for a later movie). At the end of the movie, MJ and Pete decide that with him being Spider-Man, it's just too dangerous for them to be together, so she leaves NYC. 

The apparent lack of Dunst in IV is quite humorous. I like the Idea with the Green Goblin and Venom too. I don't think, however, that Harry should die; there are too many people close to Peter Parker that have already died. Dunst, for movie lovers' sake, should be kept as romantic interest.

The apparent lack of Dunst in IV is quite humorous. I like the Idea with the Green Goblin and Venom too. I don't think, however, that Harry should die; there are too many people close to Peter Parker that have already died. Dunst, for movie lovers' sake, should be kept as romantic interest.

OK then. Let's keep Harry alive, but his company must be in trouble in IV so Toomes can pose a business threat, which is a good way to link the two characters.

I do like Kirsten Dunst, but I'm not sure what else she can do in these movies with her character. But I'm sure they can think of something, so she can stay. To make it more interesting, they could introduce Gwen Stacey or allow Betty Brant to become a new love interest to compete with MJ. Maybe Gwen can be introduced as Adrian Toomes daughter or something. But of course, she must die, possibly in "Spider-Man V" which I would suggest features 'Electro' and 'Carnage'. "Spider-Man VI" should feature 'Hydro' and 'Sandman', I'm not sure about the last movie though, but the plan is for seven Spider-Man movies.

Edited by The King

I also saw Spiderman 1 and 2 had alot more action and other stuff + i'd have Figured that maybe Harry Osborne might be in the the 3 in the film trilogy as the second Green Goblin as well ("doubtful there will be 7 Spiderman films but who knows all depends on box office tickets")still eventually going to buy Spidrman 2 on DVD as well and the 3rd after i saw it to complete the Spiderman Trilogy.

:) :waaaa::waaaa: :o

I like your ideas The King. But, two villain origin stories in one movie is a bit much to do, don't you think? The Green Goblin and anyone else is fine, because we already know the story behind Harry.

I like your ideas The King.

Thankyou very much. :waaaa:

Here's what I would suggest, for villains and origins:

Vulture / Dr. Adrian Toomes

Similar to Doc-Ock, mentally controlled wings which cause an inbalance in Adrian Toomes mind. For an added story, he ages very fast and must drain the youth from other people. Perhaps he could do this to somone and Peter must save that person before they die? It could be also considered that Peter and the "young" Adrian may know each other and be friends at first, while "Old" Adrian is his enemy. That would be useful if Adrian's personality was different while he is "young" to how it is when he is "old". I can see some kind of final confrontation between Vulture and Spider-Man up in the evening sky, possibly on and around a 747 or something. Vulture tries to bring the jet down, but Spidey saves the plane and kills Vulture, possibly by throwing him into one of the jet engines.

"Lizard" would survive. He would not be killed. I would suggest that a cure is eventually found for his condition at the end of the movie, since he's not really "evil", but just acts on instinct.

Hydro and Sandman

I would suggest that Hydro is also made into a scientist, one working with water and using salt water to power a car or something? He experiments and he becomes "Hydro". Sandman could suffer a similar origin. Some kind of accident. As a way of killing these two guys, perhaps Spidey could somehow force them to merge, water and sand turning them into a large pile of mud or something which hardens and Spidey just blasts it apart.

Electro / Max Dillon

He should be a friend to Pete. Similar to the Animated MTV show, where he's hazed and thrown into an electric generator which disrupts the electromagnetic whatever in his body and turns him into Electro.

In the final movie. At first I was thinking they could use Hobgoblin, but maybe not since I don't think that using a "Goblin" type villain will work for a third time. So then I thought of "The Absorbing Man", who becomes whatever material he touches. He's a "Hulk" villain, and it was hinted at in a sense in the Hulk movie, but not fully. So I think Absorbing Man would be the best choice for the final villain. Visually it would be interesting to see a villain who could turn into rock, metal, water, electricity, wood etc......

:waaaa:

Isn't it funny that in the comic book, they have altered Spider-Man so that he can shoot webs directly out of his limbs, just like in the movie?

Isn't it funny that in the comic book, they have altered Spider-Man so that he can shoot webs directly out of his limbs, just like in the movie?

It was James Cameron who initially suggested that change in his original screenplay which eventually became the first movie.

To be honest, it always made more sense to me that Peter would produce webbing from his own body, rather than from shooters. I never liked the webshooter concept.

:biggrin: