Sign in to follow this  
ddillard

The Omega Directive

I just watched the episode in which the Omega Particle is detected, and the computer starts the alarm to notify the Captain. It is later explained that only Captains and above have any knowledge of the Omega Particle or the Omega Directive which demands its destruction at any cost. What makes me curious is, if only Captains and above know about it. What would happen if a Captain were killed in action and the First officer were to take command, and during this time the Omega particle were detected. How would he/she know what the Alarm was even for let alone what they were supposed to do. Seems to me that the First Officers at least, and maybe the security chief should have information on such matters.

I know that this is a crazy topic, but I just wanted to see what you all thought on the subject. Feel free to be as supportive, creative or brutal as you want.

You make a good point but I think it's one of those situations where failure is not an option for the Captain. :blink:

I was referring more to situations where Captain had been killed before the Omega warning was received. Maybe there is a book in the Captains ready room that says "Read me when the Captain bites the big one" :blink:

I was referring more to situations where Captain had been killed before the Omega warning was received.  Maybe there is a book in the Captains ready room that says "Read me when the Captain bites the big one"  :blink:

If you lose a captain, star fleet would be notified right away and probably either send a replacement asap or promote the commander and give him all the info.

Obviously, Voyagar's case was unique and they'd be more or less be screwed.

Guest -*CADET MaQuIs_PrInCeSs*-

Thatz an interesting topic, I suppose in Voyager's case they would discover it, then think of options and then they would eventualy decide to destroy it. And if they decided otherwise, then they would be virtually screwed. :blink:

Yes, this is true, except in cases like voyager. But it does make you wonder how long a new captain has to study just to get up to date on all the information.

uhh.... wow thats a good question.

This is only a thought, but maybe the computer keeps a tab on the captains life signs, so it knows when the captain dies. If so, the computer may announce to the first officer: "Commander Whatever, please proceed to the captains ready room." or something like that. On her monitor would be a note from an Admiral or something telling the whole deal with the Omega particle. Maybe..... :)

that is a very good topic but it raises a bigger question for me ........

If the Capt" bites the big one" what happens to all the codes? you know the ones that have the capts security codes? what if the capt dies and was unable to pass the codes over then what? is the crew locked out of certain things till a replacement is handy ? what if the crew was thousands of lightyears away??

I know I think to much but still !! :bow::D

That is a very valid point. I had always just assumed that the First officers codes would become effective at that point for those systems, but now I am not sure. Maybe I am overthinking this whole situation. In a case where the ship was withing comm range of Starfleet the codes could be reset manually, but in cases like VOY they would be screwed.

There probably is just some "Now that you're the captian" thing for him to read that tells about all the stuff that is Captian's eyes only.

I would think that once the first officer becomes the Cpt he or she would then be given access to all of the information that the Captain has. I would also think that a computer briefing would be given to the new captain explaining what Omega is and what his or her duty is if it is detected.

I just watched the episode in which the Omega Particle is detected, and the computer starts the alarm to notify the Captain. It is later explained that only Captains and above have any knowledge of the Omega Particle or the Omega Directive which demands its destruction at any cost. What makes me curious is, if only Captains and above know about it. What would happen if a Captain were killed in action and the First officer were to take command, and during this time the Omega particle were detected. How would he/she know what the Alarm was even for let alone what they were supposed to do. Seems to me that the First Officers at least, and maybe the security chief should have information on such matters.

I know that this is a crazy topic, but I just wanted to see what you all thought on the subject. Feel free to be as supportive, creative or brutal as you want.

I would have to say that no one will be able to open the file.

& that the Commander will just have to inform HQ of their problem & the HQ will send a ship after the Omega. But that's under normal circumstances.

If Janeway died, the Computer will know Chakotay is incharge & surely there's a protocol there to inform the new captain everything Starfleet knows.

or the Computer will keep telling Chakotay to hail Starfleet to tell them of their situation, lol

:dude:

Thinking back on this discussion the analogy that comes to my mind in all of this goes back to World War II, when Roosevelt died in 1945 Truman knew nothing about the Manhattan Project. It fell to the Generals and Secretary of War to brief the new President of it's existence and potential/destructive power.

In this situation in Star Trek there would have to be something similar in place.

Very interesting I did not know that Truman did not know that. I really do not know anything about the Manhattan project other than the name sounds familiar.

Very interesting I did not know that Truman did not know that. I really do not know anything about the Manhattan project other than the name sounds familiar.
The Manhattan project was the name given to the program that developed the first atomic bombs that were dropped on Japan. The two bombs that were dropped were named "Fatman" and "Little Boy".

I believe "Fatman" was a uranium based bomb and "Little Boy" was a plutonium based bomb. I might have that backward though.

There's a Paul Newman movie named "Fatman and Little Boy" that is very interesting that you might enjoy.

"Little Boy" was uranium highly enriched with U-235 and "Fatman" was plutonium.

I imagine that there are many projects and operations that only the President and those directly involved are aware of within our country.

"Little Boy" was uranium highly enriched with U-235 and "Fatman" was plutonium.

I imagine that there are many projects and operations that only the President and those directly involved are aware of within our country.

I thought I might have it backwards but was about to go out and didn't have time to double check it.

I'm sure everything has to be taken in context.

If the CO, XO, and most of the officers died in a battle that is still going on and a young Lieutenant has to assume command I'm sure the slim chance of encountering Omega during the battle is not the largest priority. Briefing the new caption (by position) can wait.

I'm also sure that "all starship captains" does not include captains of freighters, transports, etc.

If for some reason a ship encounters Omega and the ship isn't in a position to address it, such as one of the above reasons, the computer wouldn't need to instruct the crew to contact Starfleet. It could do that automatically.

Most starship captains would go their entire careers without encountering Omega. They may get briefings and updates periodically but it isn't going to be a topic of everyday conversation.

The only ship we know to have encountered Omega was Voyager. That ship was in a unique situation. We simply don't have enough information from one episode to know how a ship in a more common situation would have reacted.