Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

ST The Motion Picture.

What is your general opinion of ST TMP?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What is your general opinion of ST TMP?

• It was good
    • It was bad
    • I am brain dead and opinion is a word that is subjective

OK, I know I have posted several several times about how I hate generalisations and over simplifications. However, I just wanted to find out the general feeling about this film by other ST fans.

I think I will vote for "It was a good film". I feel this way for many reasons but the most important one is that the film deals with an entity that is larger than the usual fights between humans. There is also the idea that Voyager was built by this planet and so it is a part of us, yet it has the potential to be the ultimate down fall of the human race, hence the unknown is not entirely alien or foreign.

In essence TMP has many different levels of plot and thought provoking themes to experience in ways that ST films have not done since, perhaps it is the fact that it stands out from the rest that allows me the enjoy it. This does not mean that I view TMP as my favourite of the franchise but I certainly do not consider it to be a poor film that is lacking in certain areas (as The Final Frontier has shown).

I am sure you all will, but please post to elaborate on these general statements if you feel so inclined. Many thanks. :blink:

I was just a kid when I saw it and I don't remember much, so I picked braindead. :blink: I'll rent it soon, I swear.

I went to see it somewhere between 5 and 10 times when I was 10 or 11. I loved it, though with the movies since then TMP isn't near the top of the ST movie list.

I know a lot of people who really hate TMP because it is "too slow". I will admit that it does suffer a bit from 70's sci-fi sendrum, however I don't think that this takes away very much from this truly awesome movie. Although not my favorite Trek film, TMP gets my award for best 'classic sci-fi.' It has a wonderful story and it is full of a lot of very interesting ideas. I highly recomend to anyone who saw TMP years ago and thought it was "boring" or "too slow" that they go back and watch it again and this time pay extra attintion. It's not an action film, it's not a comedy, it's not a fast passed thriller. It's simply an excellent movie! I also recomend to anyone who hasn't already that they check out the 2-disc Directors Eddition DVD. They cleaned up the movie very nicely and the bonus features are very interesting.

Storyline - weak. Visual aspects - outstanding! And, since 1970's styling has made a major comeback the wood panelling and strip lighting look contemporary again.

No one mentioned the music!!!!

It had such wonderful musical scores. The music for the Kligons was reused in TNG and of course so was the main theme for TNG!

I loved it. It was not the best but it brought Trek out of the past and gave the fans a chance to show the world that we were not done with TRek.

I remember leaving the theater with my best friend and her and i yelling...

"STAR TREK LIVES! DAMN RIGHT!"

Storyline - weak. Visual aspects - outstanding! And, since 1970's styling has made a major comeback the wood panelling and strip lighting look contemporary again.

Could I ask you to expand on how you thought the storyline was weak in your opinion. Thanks.

I voted that it was good. I did enjoy the plot line..Kirk getting the Enterprise back, much to the chagrin of Capt Decker, and seeing the crew reunited after all those years. I also liked the way Spock developed during this movie. He enters as a cold, logical Vulcan, and after he mind melds with V'ger he discovers there is more to life than logic alone. I loved that. Some parts of the movie were a tad slow. The scene where Enterprise first enters the cloud surrounding V'ger. WAAAAAY too much time watching a silent crew react to a bunch of blue lights on the view screen. I also agree that the Director's Edition did a great job of tightening the movie up, so it didn't seem as slow.

I voted "Good." The first time I saw it I was about 9 and thought it was boring but my Uncle got it for me for Christmas and when I watched it again I loved it! If anyone is thinking about buying it though get the directors edition. The comentary give you so many awsome little facts!

II watched it b4 I liked Star Trek, but I DID try to watch it...and I had NO CLUE what was going on. I'll have to watch it again now that I am a trekkie, but from what I saw...

I think people don’t give this movie the credit. There are some qualities that the movie was lacking, but when you think about it it’s not that bad and in fact it’s a good movie. There might be better ST movies, but for me this is one of the best.

It had a great concept! V’ger!

For science fiction that’s as good as they come

The movie literary had art and was made out of it (not total), with the graphics / the sound / and so on

It is a great movie and wish more people knew that and appreciated it

The Directors Edition is great and you can see a very large difference between the original and this one. It seems much better! Not only in enhancements from DVD quality and things to that nature, but with the sense with Spock when he was going to receive the colonor (sorry I don’t know how to spell it)

And dsbs I think if you watch it again and once you pick up on what its about, then I think (and I hope) that you will see that it really is a good movie

And to me this movie comes down to . . .

2001 A Space Odyssey vs. Star Trek The Motion Picture

And personally out of the two ST TMP wins hands down

What does everyone else think about that? (2001 vs. TMP)

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I read somewhere that TMP was put together practically at the last second because of a "mix-up" at Paramount (which was really just them being stupid), and that the budget was small, the movie nearly wasn't made, and they kept on changeing their mind and confusing poor gene Rodenberry. With all that taken into account, even what I DID see and understand was darn good!

When it came out I liked it because it was Trek, but I was disappointed and couldn't figure out why. I asked a friend of mine and she told me if I 'zipped' through all the 'flash and glitter' special effects I might like it better. So, I tried her suggestion and low and behold it worked! IMHO, If they would have stayed with the characters rather than the so-called 'special effects' I would have loved it from the beginning.

Katy

I own this I dont watch it really with the rotation of my other trek movies, Special effects are great for the time, but the pace of the movie and the story is too slow, i find this the least favorite of the trek movies

I voted it was good.

Not my fav. movie. But it was the first and brought trek back to the masses.

IMO if not for this movie i do not think that future trek (Tng, Ds9 and so on )Would have been made.Because it made paramont money. They thought we missing something here.

It made trek cool again.Something some of us have always known.

The Motion Picture holds a special place in the heart of any Trek fan who is old enough to have watched TOS during its original run. We are the fans who kept Trek alive after it was cancelled. We are the ones who started conventions, fanzines and fan clubs all for the love of Star Trek. We kept it alive for all those years when there was no new Trek (not including TAS). So when the movie came out, we could hardly contain our excitement while standing in line for tickets. When the movie began and we heard the familiar refrain of the Trek theme, I can honestly tell you that there was not a dry eye in the house. The whole theater wept with joy. While other better Trek movies certainly followed, the emotion that we felt at the first movie has never been duplicated.

Its good and it has a theme that is at the core of Star Trek.

However, it is far from being the best trek film because it is so slow and the uniforms are hidious. If the pacing was improved with ST II uniforms, it would be great.

Brain wash? you seriously are trekkies!

I watched it for only the 3rd time the other night!

The Motion Picture holds a special place in the heart of any Trek fan who is old enough to have watched TOS during its original run. We are the fans who kept Trek alive after it was cancelled. We are the ones who started conventions, fanzines and fan clubs all for the love of Star Trek. We kept it alive for all those years when there was no new Trek (not including TAS). So when the movie came out, we could hardly contain our excitement while standing in line for tickets. When the movie began and we heard the familiar refrain of the Trek theme, I can honestly tell you that there was not a dry eye in the house. The whole theater wept with joy. While other better Trek movies certainly followed, the emotion that we felt at the first movie has never been duplicated.

316791[/snapback]

I agree with Kor about how fans kept Trek alive. Syndication of TOS also helped it win new fans.

still Kahn would of been a better 1st movie

316797[/snapback]

I agree. Wrath of Khan should have been the first movie.

316848[/snapback]

Also agree Wrath was a way better movie true to the series. Better uniforms, great villain, and creatures in their ears!

I voted : It was a good movie,loved the musical scores,and the great

tour of the newly refit Enterprise by Scotty..

Edited by Raja62

I voted that it was good. It does not rate as high on my list as Voyage Home, Wrath of Khan or any of the TNG movies.. but still was pretty good.

I voted good. I also watched it 6 - 8 times.. mebbe I'll watch it again tonight. I was wondering, why no one wver thought of making Star Trek XI: The Return of V'Ger.