Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Spin-off Series

OK, someone on this forum (dunno where) had said that a spin-off series is a tv show that stars a character who was a regular or recurring character from a previous tv show.

If this is the case, then TNG, DS9, VOY, & ENT aren't spin-off series. So, what are they called? Sequal-series?

Or am I just reading too much into this? :blink:

Sequal-series, I like that! :blink: I'm not sure what they would be called, but they aren't spin-offs. At least I wouldn't call them that.

I think franchise is the best term as the series are all connected. TNG could be called a sequel to TOS but I don't think you could call DS9 or Voyager sequels to TNG. Enterprise is a prequel though.

The television PTB seem to be embracing franchise series more than before with examples being Law & Order (the original, SVU and CI) and CSI (the original and Miami).

So did DS9 Become a Spin-off when thet added Worf??  :blink:

No because they were already well into their run when Worf was added. The only way DS9 could be considered a spin-off would be because of O'Brien but I don't think DS9 centered on him enough to be considered a spin-off.

OK, someone on this forum (dunno where) had said that a spin-off series is a tv show that stars a character who was a regular or recurring character from a previous tv show.

According to the American Heritage dictionary the above quote is an "example" of the "definition" that a spin-off is something derived from an earlier work. Under that definition all the ST series are spinoffs of TOS.

Or am I just reading too much into this? :blink:

Probably, but I can't sleep.

By definition a spin-off is anything that is created using the same primary premise of something else. This would make all of the shows spin-offs. Simply because they are all based off the same premise.

By definition a spin-off is anything that is created using the same primary premise of something else.  This would make all of the shows spin-offs.  Simply because they are all based off the same premise.

By that definition would you consider Andromada a spin-off from Star Trek, if you know the story then you'd understand how Capt. Hunt got to the future, but anyway before he was kept in suspended animation by that wierd thing his ship got stuck in the way everything was run was evadently bassed on Star Trek, meaning the same Primary Premise, hense Andromada being considered a spin-off, but it isn't.

So please elaberate the definition.

By definition a spin-off is anything that is created using the same primary premise of something else.  This would make all of the shows spin-offs.  Simply because they are all based off the same premise.

By that definition would you consider Andromada a spin-off from Star Trek, if you know the story then you'd understand how Capt. Hunt got to the future, but anyway before he was kept in suspended animation by that wierd thing his ship got stuck in the way everything was run was evadently bassed on Star Trek, meaning the same Primary Premise, hense Andromada being considered a spin-off, but it isn't.

So please elaberate the definition.

I think for it to be a spin off there has also got to be a direct link to the original. Like with Joanie Loves Chachi was a spin off from Happy Days, not only because of the characters but the direct link of them to the original show.

The Ropers was a spin off from Three's Company in the same way. Mork And Mindy was a Spin Off from Happy Days even though Mork was only on 1 or 2 episodes of Happy Days. So for it to be a Spin Off there needs to be that direct link along with the origin of the shows premis.

So the fact that Enterprise is based on all of the history of Star Trek and the "Future" of the show will lead to Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway makes it a spin off. Enterprise would not exist without the existance of the previous 4 series.

I believe that DS9 is a spin-off of TNG, and VOY is a spin-off of DS9. My reason is the first episode of each of these series. The first episode of DS9 features the TNG cast, because the Enterprise is docked at DS9 to drop off Miles and Keiko. We then see why Sisko doesn't like Picard-as Locutus, Picard led an attack by the Borg that killed Sisko's wife. The first episode of VOY shows a newly launched Voyager arriving at DS9 before heading off to the badlands to catch the Maquis.

Here's how I see it...

Star Trek - the original series

Star Trek The Next Generation - TOS spin-off

Star Trek Deep Space Nine - TNG spin-off

Star Trek Voyager - TNG spin-off (becuase it's set in the TNG era)

Enterprise - TOS prequal

Make sense? :blink: :P

Well, now that I think about it... Would VOY be considerred a TNG or a DS9 spinoff? :D

Enterprise - TOS prequal

Spin off and prequel are not mutually exclusive terms; TNG was a spin off and a sequel; ENT a spin-off and prequel. They were all based on Gene Roddenberry's vision of a United Federation of Planets that is patroled by starships. These starships in turn are crewed by graduates of Star Fleet academy.

Well, now that I think about it...  Would VOY be considerred a TNG or a DS9 spinoff?

You could also call it a TOS spinoff; TOS was the original work.

As for Andromeda being a spin-off I'm not sure I follow the logic. There is no Federation or Star Fleet. It's just another SciFi series about people on a space ship.

FYI - The wierd thing was a black hole. Some of the differences - The Commonwealth encompassed entire galaxies - something beyond Star Trek technology. They travel by slip stream not warp and Earth isn't a major player. The characters of Andromeda as a whole are better looking.

:blink:

true, I didn't look into it enough, for that point I didn't even think of the slip-stream, sorry. And I guess I forgot a lot about exactly what was goin' on in Andromada, haven't seen it for a while now. Again sorry.