Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Should Star Trek End?

This is it! The uber-question of them all! Are you ready? Brace your self!

Last chance to turn back now!

OK, here it comes...

LAST CHANCE!

OK, too late, you must now read the below question:

Should Star Trek end?

I say no! Sure, I might eventually come to a point and say "this is the last Trek show I'll watch" and enjoy the existing shows up to that point... but, I say Star Trek should go on for future generations!

What's your opinion?

I think they're over doing it honestly. Star Trek will last forever. I mean look at how many young people still watch TOS. They're doing too much. So yes, I think it's time to end it. Or at least no more series.

*running away now* outtahere.gif

NO!!!!!

HOW could you say such a thing??? I think Trek still has a LOT to offer. I have been fortunate to have Trek in my life for most of my lifetime, I hate to think of younger people not having that. If done properly, there is so much to learn from Trek. I say keep on Trekkin'.

Oh, and just in case it DOES end, buy the season sets!!! :blink:

Maybe they should just slow down. They keep coming out with one series after another and frankly it's hard to keep up. A break in between would be nice.

Star Trek should never die. The universe is so vast and so many things can be done with it. It should last forever. They still haven't entirely explored their galaxy, nevermind other galaxies.

Guest Ktrek

Well, people were calling for the death of Star Trek during the first couple of seasons of TNG too. Just because the writing has not been up to our high expectations on Enterprise many fans think it should be over. Those same fans would turncoat if the writing all of a suden became superb. The stories for Star Trek are endless. Just think of the "hundreds" of books that have been written as well as all the episodes. Hundreds of comic stories and fanzine stories. The only limit is the human imagination. If Paramount would put a little more money into production, find more creative writers, and spend more dollars on advertising to draw new viewers, then the show could rise to the levels that TNG had in season 5. Just my opinion! So, no I don't think they should end Star Trek. Even Enterprise is better than 90% of most of the drivel on TV just not up to the quality that us ST fans have come to expect. I do have hopes though. I'm not giving up yet!! :blink:

Ktrek

Agreed Ktrek. We are so spoiled because of the incredible series in the Trek franchise. I would say that 85-90% of programming on television today is garbage when compared to the excellence we have experienced on all of the Trek series.

To answer you question Captain Jean-Luc Picard I want you to know the first thing that popped into my head, it is a quote from Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man-"Are you currently taking any prescription medication?" I think the dosage is a little off. :blink:

I guess I can see why you would ask that if you do not care for some of the series that followed TNG, but it must have been painful to type. I have to say for myself, I could never get into any series after TNG but I don't think they should end Trek. It is a unique set of concepts and ideas that should be allowed to continue as long as there are devoted fans out there like us.

Star Trek is an endless world of ideas and advantages (as long as you get good writers!). If ST remains good and does not get that bad, then it will continue to go. It will always be on (in re-runs at least) and there will always be a fan base.

In the future with continuing series? . . . . no one really can say for sure what will happen

Like I stated there will be a fan base and re-runs, but will there be a new series is the real question . . .

I think that there will probably be one as long as we have good writers and creative ones. And that we as fans keep it alive (but if ST really went down hill with really bad episodes and the like then as a fan I would not want ST becoming some bad show and let it remain in that course . . . so I would want it to end then or at least for a while until bring in some new serries)

I remember Dorn when asked the same question said something like “God yes

But time will tell

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I believe Star Trek should continue. Such a creative vision should not die.

I don't want it to end either!  Just wanted to know what you all though. :P  :blink:

I think we all know that and I don’t think anyone got the wrong impression.

(You probably know that, but just to say it to make sure)

The only valid thing I think people should address is that . . . if ST in the future is not really doing good in terms of quality, then should it then be ended (at least for a quick break if its really bad and then bring it back later on)

Master Q

To some extent it already has. An episode such as A Night in Sickbay that concentrated solely on one character's sexual musings was never a part of the original ST vision. Other series followed TOS and addressed relevant social issues and made a serious and generally effective attempt to present an unbiased and introspective view of the subject. When ENT tried it came across as obvious and condescending.

Seven may say ST is adapting; I just wonder at what point it ceases to be ST and becomes something new.

NO! Star Trek should never end. I have had Star Trek in my life from the very beginning, and I have learned a lot of lifes valuable lessons from the show. But I think that we should all understand that there will be episodes that we do not agree with, that are created to draw new viewers. I will probably be shot, but I think that this is okay, as long as these episodes never become more frequent than the type that we are used to.

I don't think Star Trek should end by any means. There is a big enough universe out there that they could create new shows, movies, books, video games, made for TV movies, mini-series, ect... for ever! I do think that Trek has taken a bit of a dive lately (and for the record I am NOT reffering to Nemesis) but it is still the best thing on TV. If it wasn't for Enterprise I doubt that I would ever watch television. Like all things Star Trek will have it's ups and downs but I have faith that with the right writers they could create a series (dare I say it?) even better than The Next Generation.

Of course we are all going to say no, this is a star trek board after all..ST will be around as long as they can milk $ out of it, If you wanted a Uber question you could have asked..Will you ever stop watching star trek.

I don't think it should end,but after Enterprise finishes their 7th season Star Trek should take a break.Get the fans hungry for Trek again like back in the early 70's.

I don't think it should end,but after Enterprise finishes their 7th season Star Trek should take a break.Get the fans hungry for Trek again like back in the early 70's.

Yes exactly. They need a break badly. The shows are coming one right after the other. I've been a ST fan since early childhood, but it's just too much too fast.

Not only that but so that people can think of and plan a new series with interesting characters, plots, etc. That would help. I vote - Don't end it, give it a break.

Yes exactly. They need a break badly. The shows are coming one right after the other. I've been a ST fan since early childhood, but it's just too much too fast.

Yeah like I said if the series (or any in the future) turn out not that good (and right now ENT to me does not seem that good . . . hopefully that will change) is that then we should have a break untill we bring in the next series.

By no means am I suggesting that if ST gets bad then we should end it.

I think if ST gets bad, then it needs a break for a few years until it gets back up and running.

So I fully agree with the statement "Don't end it, give it a break. "

Master Q

ye aI like the give it a break theroy too..but you have to think like the bigwigs @ Paramount - $$$$ - then again with the cash they are pulling in with the DVD's I am sure they're happy as clams.

Of' course not stop the STAR TREK,

Must start a new era of series and movies

with new cast, new starship, new captain etc...

P.S. New series and movies in the FUTURE!!!

lol!

Well, i'd like it to go on forever, but to be realistic, all things must end (and with Enterprise...I'm sorry. I told myself to stop that. Just wait - I'll watch the show and end up liking it and have to come crawling back to all you ENT fans. So I hereby vow - No more dissing Enterprise. I promise. It all ends here)