Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

How Would You Rate "Proving Ground"?

What rating would you give "Proving Ground" out of 10?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Proving Ground" out of 10?

Click for Spoiler:

I loved that ep right from the beginning. That scene when you could see Jon in front of the screen concealing Shran - when it looked like as if Jon had those antennas - priceless!!!

- :cloud9: One of my favorite scenes.

Nicely done episode...I gave it a 9.

Click for Spoiler:

There had to be an episode with some "bumps in the road" in the developing relationship with the Andorians. It would not make sense to struggle with the Vulcans and have easy riding with the Andorians. Also the fact that Archer chose to blow up the weapon rather than let the Andorians threaten Vulcan with it, showed how well Archer understood the intensity of the feelings the Andorians had against the Vulcans. Until this episode however, Shran did not know the instensity of the humans in their committments. The fact that Archer, as committed as he was to saving Earth, still made sure that Vulcan was not imperilled, teaches Shran something he did not know..that you take care of your friends as well as yourself. And he sends the data on the weapon secretly to Archer.

I don't believe Talas could have sent the data because she had not had suffcient contact with humans to cause her to go against authority, or to see things outside her own perspective.

I do not think they got the weapon "too easily." The Xindi humanoids were arrogant, according to their fellow Xindi, and did not anticipate such a move. Plus in many other encounters with humans the Xindi had had the upper hand.

Edited by mjham

Click for Spoiler:

....Also the fact that Archer chose to blow up the weapon rather than let the Andorians threaten Vulcan with it, showed how well Archer understood the intensity of the feelings the Andorians had against the Vulcans. Until this episode however, Shran did not know the instensity of the humans in their committments. The fact that Archer, as committed as he was to saving Earth, still made sure that Vulcan was not imperilled, teaches Shran something he did not know..that you take care of your friends as well as yourself. ....

I wonder what effect this will have on the Vulcans?

Click for Spoiler:

....Also the fact that Archer chose to blow up the weapon rather than let the Andorians threaten Vulcan with it, showed how well Archer understood the intensity of the feelings the Andorians had against the Vulcans. Until this episode however, Shran did not know the instensity of the humans in their committments. The fact that Archer, as committed as he was to saving Earth, still made sure that Vulcan was not imperilled, teaches Shran something he did not know..that you take care of your friends as well as yourself. ....

I wonder what effect this will have on the Vulcans?

I don't know. But somehow in all this we should begin to see a transition from their condescension to a position where they respect humans enough to even accept their

leadership.

I gave it a 7.5 cool episode :frusty:

Ditto

I don't know the acting just seemed a little stiff to me, the dialogue felt, eh I don't just one of those off feelings (don't ask me to explain it), and I laughed at the view screen trick with the antenae, but I just thought to myself "I my God, did they just do that?" It seemed very juvenille to me.

But over all it was a good episode. I love seeing the coming together of the Federation with Shran and Archer.

I saw the Andorians taking the weapon. that being said, it was a great episode Coombs (sry if the spellin is out) is definatley one of my favourites. I never really saw DS9 enough to get an idea of his talents, but he is blowing most of the cast outta the water.

I thought this episode was fantastic. I like Jeffery combs in whatever he does and Shran has a depth which means he is sincere in repaying debts (although he goes against Archer in this episode he is doing so for the greater good of his own people and you can see that he doesn't make the decision lightly). The only thing I have to moan about this episode is that the Xindi seemed a bit stupid in letting Shran's ship enter and exit the system so freely. If the weapon was so important why didn't they remove any chance of duplicity by blowing his ship up or at the very least attacking it? All in all a good episode though!

This was a great episode. The only complaint I had was the scene where we see Archer with Shran in his viewscreen and antennae sticking out of Archer's head. I thought this should've been the opening scene/image of the episode and if they'd wanted, they could've done the earlier parts through flashbacks it necessary.

I love this ep and I love the Andorians - Mr Combs is a great character actor and wouldn't it be fun if he is not only instrumental in cementing relations between his people and we 'pink skins' but also became a member of the Enterprise crew on a kind of exchange programme or something?

10 - Excellent. It is always great to see Shran and Jeffery Combs is such as great actor, i liked the scene at the end where archer was prepared to detonate the weapon inside the andorian ship.

Who else thought Lieutenant Talas was Hot, Hot, Hot.

Sign in to follow this