Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

How Would You Rate "Proving Ground"?

What rating would you give "Proving Ground" out of 10?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Proving Ground" out of 10?

Hi it's me again, Captain Bolivar, with what has become my weekly post. And sadly the only post of the week at that. I've shifted my priorities around in life to concentrate more on my career goals. Anyhow, I hope everyone is doing well! And I hope you enjoy Enterprise tonight! I look forward to reading what you think about it. Because I do have time to at least check out your opinions on Enterprise after all... ENJOY THE SHOW!

Well I just finished watching it (this 2nd paragraph is the edit) and I thought it was pretty good! I was certainly happy to see the return of the Andorians. I also liked how they built up a friendship and then shattered it at the end. But it leaves hope for a friendship in the future because it didn't end horribly. They did after all send the scan data to Enterprise. This was not my most favorite episode of the season, but it was a good inclusion to the arc. Also I was impressed with "Weyoun's" acting. He didn't seem like Weyoun! I'd use his real name but that's how we all know him is it not! I find it rather hard to give this episode a rating but like all episodes of the season it was good and it deserves a good rating. I can't give it less than a 7.5. It might be worth an 8 or 8.5 but due to the REALLY spectacular episodes this season I will mark it relative to those and give it a 7.5! By the way, I love the blue skins! :P

Edited by Captain Bolivar

Watching it right now and so far, so good. (Speaking of priorities, I should be writing a paper right now. :P )

Click for Spoiler:

I thought that this was another great episode. I love it when the Andorians are on because you get a real feel for the alliance that will one day come about. Coombs delivers another great performance as Shran and Archer shows some real toughness in his dealings with Shran. Almost everyone was involved except Phlox (Though I think Billingsley was probably involved in work on "Doctor's Orders" a future ep in which he is very much involved).

The thing I really enjoyed was the humour. Shran's Andorian Mining Consortium sales pitch was gold! (Archerite! :P Priceless). Plus the Andorian antennae always make for some good moments. Like the way the Shran's antennae 'ducked' under the beam in Archer's office.

Overall, a 9 out of 10.

I voted 10, it almost slipped to 9.5 but rebounded to a 10 right at the end.

The cause of the near slippage was:

Click for Spoiler:

The way it looked like they would leave the Andorian/Human relationship. When Shran (or whoever it was) transmitted the specs for the Xindi weapon though it made the near future relationship look a lot brighter.

I loved this episode! It seems that the Andorian episodes have been some of the brightest spots of each of the 3 seasons so far.

When Shran had to put Archer into an escape pod and his officer looked at him and his antennae pointed downward you could sense that he had a strong feeling of betrayal and that he very much regretted having to do so.

I think Shran will be instrumental in building an alliance between Andoria and Earth and thus Earth will play a vital role in helping forge an alliance between the Andorians and the Vulcans and thereby cementing Humanities role as a leader in the quadrant.

9.5 for me. A fantastic episode. The Andorian episodes are always great. This one was very good.

Click for Spoiler:

I liked that Lt. that was working with Reed. She was interesting and it's a good thing Reed kept an eye on her..Too bad they couldn't get their hands on that Xindi weapon..At least they managed to get a hold of the Andorian scans at the end...You could tell that Shran hated betraying Archer like that...

Awesome episode..

Excellent Mr. Combs....excellent as usual.

Click for Spoiler:

Andorians really dislike Vulcans, eh? To the point of betraying the humans without doubt. Good thing Shran likes Archer....or else I just don't think I could bare it. (obscure movie reference) Yes...at least there is a shimmer of hope still left in Andorian/Human relations.

The one thing that I thought was odd in the episode was when Degra saw that Enterprise was in range and approaching the weapon. He didn't seem to taken aback by the fact that Archer has made so much progress in the Expanse and that the humans were upon them already.

I loved the scene with Trip and Shran talking about Earth. Part of the reason why Shran can't bring himself to betray the humans.

Good episode. 9.0/10

Was Lt. Reed pulling the old Kirk maneuver on the Andorian Talas?

This was a really good episode- I can see the Federation coming together just listening to Archer and shran kick back with a drink.

I think they both knew (and respected) what the other was dealing with in this episode- and that is what made it so good- the unspoken dialogue.

A good solid 8 or 8.5 out of 10. I had a few nitpicks (come on, Archer punches out Shran on his own bridge and one of Shran's guards didn't crack his skull :P ) but overall I really enjoyed it.

COMBS ROCKS. Jeffrey's performances energizes everything and everybody. He makes Bakula better because they crackle when they clash. We weren't hammered over the head with conflicted Shran. We were shown. Agreed about the ending adding a nice finishing touch. I loved that Reed got decent, meaningful screen time for a change and wasn't that a suprisingly lovely scene between Trip and Shran? Those kind of character moments have been lamentably few this season. Who would have thought that Tucker and Shran would be the ones to give it to us? Shran is a surprisingly decent soul and Trip is still hurting....but he's not a hothead. He knows what his job it. Both actors did well with an enriching moment.

I liked it. I liked it. :P

Damn missed it again. That's two in a row, and oddly I was more upset when I missed 24 this week. Oh well. There's always next week.

Well, you didn't exactly miss 24, it wasn't on. Bush made his state of the union address so it was pre-empted. Unless that is what you are referring to.

Guest Ktrek

I really enjoyed this episode. I like how they recapped the expanse arc in the beginning to refresh your memory. ENT is proving to be a very good Star Trek show. It has taken time and B&B letting go of their baby and not having so much control. The new writing staff I think has the right stuff. If they could just tweak things a little more I think ENT could be the best Trek show ever. I think any Trek fan that doesn't like it hasn't really given it a chance. Perhaps their preconceived predjudices have blinded them to reality?

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

Was it just me?

Click for Spoiler:

Or did anyone else see a little of Brunt in Shran when he was talking to the Xindi? I loved the "Archerite" too though. :P

Stardate:21460.9

Very good episode.Liked it from the start,escpecially how they recapped everything to remind everybody what was going on.

Every single episode involving the Andorains is just plain awsome.Maybe it's because we all know what the eventual outcome of this allaince will be.I liked how they were able to recover most of thier database.I knew that had some sort of emerency backup.Shran was good as usual.I loved the Andorain Mining consortium.That was funny.Also the Trip/Shran scene was very good.It shows that he is very compassionate to what happened to earth.The end was very good as well.

The question is who sent the transmission.Shran or the Lt.?

Overall 8/10

Stardate:21460.9

The question is who sent the transmission.Shran or the Lt.?

My feeling is that it was from Shran, just seems logical (pardon the pun) because of his character development.

I gave it an 9.5, what an awesome episode!!

Combs was, as usual, great as Shran. It seems as though all episodes that involve Andorians turn out really good!

The episode was very exciting and dramatic, but at the same time they had the character moments which I have been missing so much this season. The scenes between Trip/Shran and Reed/Talas were great!

This was definitely on my top three list of best episodes this season!

Jeffrey's performances energizes everything and everybody.  He makes Bakula better because they crackle when they clash. We weren't hammered over the head with conflicted Shran.  We were shown

I loved that Reed got decent, meaningful screen time for a change and wasn't that a suprisingly lovely scene between Trip and Shran?  Those kind of character moments have been lamentably few this season.

MR has hit the nail squarely on its proverbial head. Those of us who have been clamoring for character development mean exactly what we got last night: demonstration, not explanation, of motivations and emotions. It's what jefffitz refers to as "unspoken dialogue." As one of my mentors says, "Show, don't tell." Love the verb "crackle," moulin -- that's exactly what Shran and Archer do together.

I gave "Proving Ground" a nine. That's darn good for me. The only episodes I've given tens are "Dawn" and "Twilight."

Love those Andorians! :P

Great episode reminded me why I like Enterprise so much. The whole episode really fit well in the whole Xindi story arch, well acted by Jeffery Combs as always, and the rest of the cast.

This was an excellent episode! Jeffery Combs as usual was awesome. The whole Mining Consortium bit had me laughing my butt off.One of the best episodes this season.

9.5 I just don't hand out tens. I thought this was definitely one of the better episodes of the season.

Also answered some very long standing questions about the Star Trek Universe

Click for Spoiler:

yes they still have potato chips -

and yes they still get bathroom breaks

I love Schran's use of words - his pointed comments on how no one else came to be our allies.

And that scene with Trip and Schran was what I've waited all season for. This was definitely a terrific episode.

Also answered some very long standing questions about the Star Trek Universe

Click for Spoiler:

yes they still have potato chips -

and yes they still get bathroom breaks

I have to say TUH that when I read your 'Spoiler' I laughed out loud..So true..It does answer some old Trek questions... :P

I gave the episode a 9.5.

Proving Ground was a good episode. Jeffery Combs is quickly becoming one of my favorite non regular characters in a Trek series (I loved his Vorta character in DS9). I also gave applause to Archer for having the balls to strike Shran for trying to take the Xindi weapon. Nice to see the Captain finally show his balls.

I hope that Paramount keeps up the good work with thier episodes. If every episode were as good as this one then there would be no way that they would consider shutting down Enterprise.

I can't honestly decide what rating I think it deserves. :lol:

I love the Andorians.

I love the character Shran.

I loved the extra screen-time of the Andorian cruiser. :P

Also: the Trip/Shran scene, every word that came out of Combs's mouth, and the dynamics of the Archer/Shran relationship.

(Not a gripe - more like an unfulfilled wish. I wish they could've found some way to redeem Suzie Plakson's female Andorian character from "Cease Fire". She would've been incredible if given Talas's lines, plus we're familiar with her. I know you it would be hard to work with the trust aspect there, but I would've loved to see her again.

:P ,,,anyway...)

Click for Spoiler:

My gripe is with the up and down pace. I felt like I was on a rollercoaster - started out getting up to full speed, raced around for a while, threw a few loops, but the end just felt like the wait while the coaster slows down at the gate. I.E. - I thought it was kindof a bland ending to such an interesting episode.

I also thought they got the weapon a little too easily.

Overall, though, I did like it, and will probably give it an 8.75. It's got to be one of my 10 favorite eps so far. :grin:

I loved Proving Ground! I laughed, I cried, I fumed and I laughed some more.

Click for Spoiler:

I adore the Archer/Shran relationship. It really has become a highlight of the show. I also enjoyed the repartee between Reed and Talas. Did anyone else see some sexual tension between the two??? :laugh: The scene with Trip and Shran was really poignant and I liked the polite distaste that was shown between Shran and T'pol. I rather panicked at the end and thought the whole Archer/Shran dynamic would be shot but what a save! It left me all warm and tingly. It was a wonderful character driven show and I hope to see many more like it. I gave it an 8.5, It dropped from a 9 because I thought the weapon was too easily taken.

I also enjoyed the repartee between Reed and Talas. Did anyone else see some sexual tension between the two??? :lol:

Did I SEE it? I saw, heard, and smelled it! Golly day, Reed practically jumped into her uniform! I was glad to see it -- didn't know ole Malcolm had it in 'im. :lol:

I gave it a 9.5.

Click for Spoiler:

I loved the Archer/Shran interaction. Loved the Trip/Shran interaction. Loved that T'Pol and Hoshi had been working together to ressurect the Xindi data

The only places where it dropped points, for me were:

Click for Spoiler:

If they can send the data on the weapon to Earth why doesn't Earth send back a complete copy of the Xindi database? Surely Archer would have sent a copy of that to Earth? Also, again, Trip was left out of all command decisions and reduced to maintainence-man. :lol:

But they are minor glitches. This is a very good season of solid, well done stories.

9.5 for me

Eventually I was able to see that ep and I loved it

Click for Spoiler:

I loved that ep right from the beginning. That scene when you could see Jon in front of the screen concealing Shran - when it looked like as if Jon had those antennas - priceless!!!

I also liked the scenes between Malcolm and Lt. Talas. It was so much fun to see the knocking heads in the frist place and than developing a good co-operation. And I sensed a certain attraction/crackle in they way they wer looking at each other. Like that.

Great the reference to "The shipment" which is one of my fav eps! "The shipment reflects my notion of Star Trek at it's best.

Archerite - I couldn't stop laughing. Shran was brilliant in that scene - ok, like in the whole eoisode.

I would not judge Shran's way of action as betrayal. IMO that's a too hard expression. He had his obligations to his people (and his superiors) which feel threatend by the Vulcans. It was obvious that he struggled hard to meet his orders AND his wish for an alliance with the humans. I agree, I think he was the one who sent the specs to the Enterprise.

The Trip/Shran scene was really a touchy one. Trip had only few scenes in this ep but good ones.

Sign in to follow this