Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Is Voyager really a small ship?

Is Voyager really a small ship that the crew make it out to be? It's 15 decks with a crew of about 150. However, in starship comparrison charts, the Constitution-class (23 decks thick), Excelsior-class (30 decks thick), and the Intrepid-class (15 decks thick) are all the same thickness when looking at them on the chart. Perhaps someone didn't scale them correctly? If they are correctly scaled, then Voyager is huge for a 15-deck thick ship, if they aren't scaled correctly, then I would agree with Voyager being a small ship.

What about you guys? Also, just out of curriousity, let's say you're a Lieutennant in Starfleet. How would you feel about serving on an Intrepid-class ship?

I'd rather be on a constitution class. Seem more cozy.

(I deleted the other double post CJLP. That's what you wanted right?)

I think that Voyager had to be a small ship. Having over a thousand people lost in the Delta Quadrant would have been kinda hard to qualify in terms of a lot of the storylines and the merging in of the smaller Maquis crew. Say the Enterprise D had've gotten lost then they wouldnt really have needed many of the Maquis crew to help them out. I mean - small crew, heavy casualties = First Officer Chakotay, etc etc. Forcing them to bond and merge. The smaller ship suggests more 'family' and closer boonds than the bigger classes. And sets the series apart to an extent. Giving it a sense of vulnerability.

Plus! The Enterprise could separate, the Defiant could cloak. The Voyager had to have something special which was the ability to land. Small scale needed there too.

Voyager isn't a small ship, she's just got a small crew. she's 350 meters from bow to stern, that trasnlates to 1,056 feet, or roughly the size of a Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier. and she's about as tall. a Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier has a crew of 5,000+ and the ship isn't exactly a cramped place. so Star Trek's sense of size is way off. if a ship of that size had a crew of only 150, then each crewmember should have their own rather nice stateroom.

Voyager isn't a small ship, she's just got a small crew. she's 350 meters from bow to stern, that trasnlates to 1,056 feet, or roughly the size of a Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier. and she's about as tall. a Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier has a crew of 5,000+ and the ship isn't exactly a cramped place. so Star Trek's sense of size is way off. if a ship of that size had a crew of only 150, then each crewmember should have their own rather nice stateroom.

Well, calling a ship small is relative. For example, in the current series, the 7 or 8 deck Enterprise is considerred to be a big ship, while in VOY, Voyager is more than twice as big and considerred a small ship. Calling a ship small depends on the average size of ships in the current fleet.

Here's a fleet chart (some of the ships are fan-made or conjecture):

Click for Spoiler:

fleet-chart-1060.jpg

I believe that the Exceslior-class is represented as being too small and that the Intrepid-class is being represented too large. What do you guys think?

There's the 23-deck Constitution-class:

Click for Spoiler:

orgentcutaway.jpg

Here's the 35-deck thick Excelsior-class:

Click for Spoiler:

orgentbcutaway.jpg

Here's the 15-deck Intrepid-class:

Click for Spoiler:

orgvoyagercutaway.jpg

So, how come all 3 of these ship classes are shown as relatively the same thickness in the fleet chart I posted above? If you go by the deck-charts, Voyager is a small ship, but if you go by the fleet chart, she's a medium-sized ship. Hmm...

I'd rather be on a constitution class. Seem more cozy.

(I deleted the other double post CJLP. That's what you wanted right?)

There was a double-post? I thought it didn't post the first time. Anywho, I just wanted a reply. :P

Oh. Lol. Well there was two. Lol.

Still, though, a ship that is 344 meters long, probably 150 meters wide, and 15 decks tall, that's alot of room for a ship with a crew of 150. I mean, I was on an Ohio Class FBMS and those have a crew of around 150, in a hull about 160 meters long and MAYBE 15 meters wide, and 3 decks tall. it was cramped.

The primary storyline reason that Voyager was so small was so that it could navigate through the Badlands in search of the Maquis.

As far as realative ship scale between Voyager and other Starfleet ships... see the following link...

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schemati...-chart-1060.jpg

This will allow you to see the Intrepid class size in compairson to other ships that you have seen in the Federation.

:cool:

Maybe it's my experience with ships about the same size as Voyager that has me thinking it's a big ship, but I can't comprehend a ship that big being considered small <and by my standards, the Enterprise E is huge>

Click for Spoiler:

fleet-chart-1060.jpg

(Off-topic- Just felt like pointing out that each of these ships is canon. As to their size, I'm not positive as to how accurate it is or is not.)

I see your point phaserman and the besst excuse I can come up with is maybe most of the ship is Computer space, labs, shuttle bay, cargo holds ect. Best reasons I can come up with for a ship thats size to carry so few.

I tell you what, if the US Navy had a ship that large with such a small crew, you can bet your behind that it would be packing some serious whoop ***

Guest Guest

Voyager has to be a small ship at least in comparison to the rest of the ships in the fleet. A constitution class ship is to large to safely land on a planet. Voyager is capable of landing on a planet therefore it must be smaller than a Constitution class starship. As far as the amount of room and and size of the crew well remember Voyager may be as large as an aircraft carrier, but remember that a lot of that space is going to be taken up by other item. The warp core is several decks high. You need storage space for photon torpedoes. The Holodeck and sick bay take up a fair amount of space. Plus there is the deuterium tank, and the anti-matter pods. Transporters, shuttle bay and everything else that takes up space within the ship. 150 is probably the necessary crew number for that size of vessel.

We are forgetting one thing as regards to what the crew would have thought of serving aboard a "small" ship. Intrepid class is not the smallest ship in the fleet.

I mean, take a look at the Nova class ships (as per the fleet chart link and the Voyager episode "Equinox") which only has a crew of 80

Edited by Shuttle

I think VOY is to small they should have,

made it a galaxy class ship,the back end of VOY

looks way to small but thats a small detail that we

dont see much of.

Making it a Galaxy ship would have reduced the tension of Voyager. Compare Little Ship lost in the Delta Quadrant' to 'Big, Powerful ship lost in the Delta Quadrant'.

I would be fine with serving aborad an Intrepid. The little ship I wouldn't want to serve on would be the Defiant. No Holodecks, No relaxation areas and I'd have to sleep in bunkbeds!

The primary storyline reason that Voyager was so small was so that it could navigate through the Badlands in search of the Maquis.

As far as realative ship scale between Voyager and other Starfleet ships... see the following link...

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schemati...-chart-1060.jpg

This will allow you to see the Intrepid class size in compairson to other ships that you have seen in the Federation.

:cool:

Well, the question is not if it's small by the crew's standards, but rather in comparrison to most Starfleet ships.

I posted about the ship scale. It's gotta be off, other wise, how do you have the 23-deck-thick Excelsior-class be the same size as the 15-deck-thick Intrepid-class?

Maybe it's my experience with ships about the same size as Voyager that has me thinking it's a big ship, but I can't comprehend a ship that big being considered small <and by my standards, the Enterprise E is huge>

Well, as I said, it's a matter of perspective, in ENT, the NX-01 is considerred a large starship, where in the TNG-era, it'd be considerred tiny. :P

Click for Spoiler:

fleet-chart-1060.jpg

(Off-topic- Just felt like pointing out that each of these ships is canon. As to their size, I'm not positive as to how accurate it is or is not.)

Seven of them have never been seen on screen. :P

Well - I'm sure that any generation of Starfleet would consider the Nova class small. Although, I think the Equinox, being smaller then Voyager, did pretty well in the Delta Quadrant

Click for Spoiler:

fleet-chart-1060.jpg

Seven of them have never been seen on screen. :P

Don't wink at me when I know what I'm talking about. :P j/k

Each and every one of those has been seen on screen as an actual ship, except for the Daedalus which was seen as a model. I'm sure it's "TBoBW" kitbashes that are throwing you. The New Orleans, Springfield, Challenger, Cheyenne, and Niagara were all in the infamous graveyard scene. The Curry, Yeager, and Centaur were of course kitbashes used in DS9 (I think the Curry's scene was in "Sac. of Angels" if I'm not mistaken.) Let me know if you want any of this cleared up further.

Edited by Ace

Click for Spoiler:

fleet-chart-1060.jpg

Seven of them have never been seen on screen. :laugh:

Don't wink at me when I know what I'm talking about. :laugh: j/k

Each and every one of those has been seen on screen as an actual ship, except for the Daedalus which was seen as a model. I'm sure it's "TBoBW" kitbashes that are throwing you. The New Orleans, Springfield, Challenger, Cheyenne, and Niagara were all in the infamous graveyard scene. The Curry, Yeager, and Centaur were of course kitbashes used in DS9 (I think the Curry's scene was in "Sac. of Angels" if I'm not mistaken.) Let me know if you want any of this cleared up further.

The following ships have not been seen on screen:

New Orleans-class

Cheyenne-class

Springfield-class

Challenger-class

Niagra-class

Freedom-class

If you feel these ships were in TNG "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II", then please, let's go start a thread about it in the TNG forum as I'd like to see what you think. :wow:

The Daedalus-class has been mentioned, but never seen. The model in Sisko's office is just a model, it was never referrenced as Daedalus-class, fans just assumed it was. :dude:

Just for everyone's information, I know as a fact that voyager's decks are slightly taller than some other classes. Also, The USS Voyager is approximately the same legnth as the saucer section of the Galaxy class is wide, and they are approximately the same thickness. Yes the intrepid class isn't (by comparison to our ships) small, but it is in reference to most of it's starfleet cousins.

Edited by Tench745

Just for everyone's information, I know as a fact that voyager's decks are slightly taller than some other classes. Also, The USS Voyager is approximately the same legnth as the saucer section of the Galaxy class is wide, and they are approximately the same thickness. Yes the intrepid class isn't (by comparison to our ships) small, but it is in reference to most of it's starfleet cousins.

What about the Excelsior-class? It has 35 decks versus Voyager's 15 decks, and their the same size? :laugh: As for Voyager's decks being taller, why would they be taller? :laugh:

I have no idea why but it's true. I think I read somewhere that they are 3 metres tall, which is higher than the Ent-D's. Although your right, that wouldn't make up 20 decks worth.

I know it makes the corridors fell nice. My only guess is that using space economically is not a imperitive part of Voyager's design, (unlike the Defiant) and tall corridors just add ambiance.

I heard the decks on Voyager were 4 metres tall and on most ships they are 2 1/2 metres tall or something like that.