Sign in to follow this  
headborg

What does the NCC stand for?

I know that in the real world, Gene Roddenberry copied the registry number from his plane tail number, but some "meaning" has to be assigned to it. Example : the U.S. Navy assigns designations like CVN for aircraft carrier nuclear, SSBN for Ballistic Missile Submarine nuclear-so what have the Trek minds came up with for NCC? While I'm on the subject- U.S.S.- i've heard the enterprise called United Space Ship, United Star Ship, United stellar Ship-which is the correct designation?

I don't believe any designation was ever given to NCC..Matt Jefferies copied it from an aircraft and from what I've read he added an extra C because he thought it looked better..

Now with USS my first instinct is to say it is the United Space Ship Enterprise..I can remember Kirk saying those words..

USS I think is there just as a prefix for the ships. it could be that it stands for United Federation of Planets Star Ship. as for NCC, Your guess is as good as mine.

why would U.S.S stand for United Federation of Planets Star Ship? instead would that be UFPSS?

but on the NCC thing..maybe they chose cuz it looked cool... :cool:

like wut does NX mean?...they could have chose it because it looked good..

i dunno.... :force:

:eek:<--- so me

NCC- Line Starship

NAR- Reserch Vessel

NX- Experimental

IKS-Klingon Vessel

HMS-No longer in use

USS-Formerly US Navy designation meaning "United States Ship", currently used by Starfleet.

USCGC-Coast Gaurd Cutter, the 20th/21st century equivelant of Starfleet

NCC- Line Starship

NAR- Reserch Vessel

NX- Experimental

NX also stands for prototype in the Trek-universe. :force:

IKS-Klingon Vessel

HMS-No longer in use

USS-Formerly US Navy designation meaning "United States Ship", currently used by Starfleet.

We allways hear them call the ship the "Federation Starship" so maybe U.S.S. stands for United Federation of Planets Starship instead of United States Ship?

USCGC-Coast Gaurd Cutter, the 20th/21st century equivelant of Starfleet

Cool. :eek:

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I 've heard the Enterprise called a United Space ship and United Starship. I have a non canon answer for the NCC question that kind of fits. NCC stands for Naval Constuction Code. I saw this in an old ST novel called Final Frontier.

IKS-Klingon Vessel

Correct, but incomplete.

There are two prefix designations for Klingon ships. IKS stands for Imperial Klingon Scout. You typocally find this on Birds of Prey. IKC stands for Imperial Klingon Cruiser and is for larger ships.

There's a less futuristic explanition for what NCC is. If you have the book "The Making Of Star Trek" it's explained in there, I'm not too sure of which page but I'll try to find it if anyone wants me to. This isn't a direct quote but the NCC comes from a combonation of 2 thing. the first "NC" is from the real life registry numbers on air planes in the United States. The second C was added as recognition for the then Sovit Union's space program. I don't remember off hand exactly what about it (the second C) represents the Soviet Union but if my memory is correct it's because "CCCP". Like I said, if anyone really wants me to I will try to locate the exact page and quote for that bit of information. Just keep in ming though, it's a 415 page book and it may take a little time to find lol..

In the mean time I found this:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/miscellaneous.htm