Sign in to follow this  
t'mir

Vulcans: Superior Species?

Speaking as a fellow vulcan, I must say that I am biased on the subject, but bear with me! :force:

Vulcans seem to be so wrapt up in themselves in Enterprise... they really think that they are higher evolved or something than humans just because they had warp drive first. Yet it seems that we help them out more than vice-versa. By TNG era, Vulcans seem more warmed up to humans, i guess out of living with them as allies for so long. What made them stop being so arrogant? Was it just a growing respect for humans after observing them for so long?

Peace and long life,

T'mir

The difference between "early Vulcan" & "TNG Vulcan" attitudes seems to have a lot to do with Humanity's maturing over the decades, caused by our increased contact with other species. The more we learn from other species, the more we grow & mature, and the Vulcans seem to realize it. They also seem to have gotten used to our being so "emotional" after so many years of contact.

Well maybe it was the realization that humans saw through them...that arrogance was an emotion and humans weren't going to let them play the superiority card. Being the practical beings that they are there was no point in wasting your efforts

Vulcans seem to be so wrapt up in themselves in Enterprise... they really think that they are higher evolved or something than humans just because they had warp drive first.

Its not just about Warp Drive, its also the way they think & live their life, they think that all race should do the same.

That's why they can't make peaceful contact with hostile species right away.

"Andorians, that race that Trip or Tucker? was stuck with on a dry & hot planet."

Where Vulcans failed for centuries, humans have made friends with them in few weeks if not a day. With more of this going on, the it is logical that the "Federation" would have humans as 1 of the main leaders of it. Not Vulcans as the top chief anymore.

1 thing i'm not sure though, did Vulcans become part of the Federation? or do they just let their children join Starfleet? for education.

:rolleyes:

1 thing i'm not sure though, did Vulcans become part of the Federation? or do they just let their children join Starfleet? for education.

:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly Sarek was displeased with Spock for joing Star Fleet but I do think they were part of the federation.

Guest Guest
If I remember correctly Sarek was displeased with Spock for joing Star Fleet but I do think they were part of the federation.

Sarek had encouraged Spock to attend the Vulcan Science Academy and Spock chose Starfleet instead. This began their soiled relationship but I think Sarek objected because he didn't trust Starfleet, not the Federation per se - and if he did, why serve as Vulcan's Ambassador to it?

And yes, Vulcan was one of the founding members of the Federation.

Persoanally I think that the vulcans are so nice in TNG is because of some event during the time period between the seires. Like the Romulan federation war, or the Enterpirse saving their buts from the andorians getting a super weapon.

Also with the vulcans seen that the humans could make peaceful first contacts with Civilzations that had no so succesful contact with them.

:rofl: Then that means they are already superior :laugh:

Because they do have emotions & lots of it, they just chose not to show it by suppressing it.

To deny existence of emotions in a Vulcan, would be illogical.

A Vulcan master, who thought Tuvok, said something like that. :bow:

:)

The vulcans are very cool. They're smart. Also, they have a "religion" or at least a series of traditions that they stick too, and I admire that. They don't have emotions, so they can think under stressful situations. They might just be a superior race.

Click for Spoiler:

However, I do also have to say that the Borg are cool too :-)

[The vulcans are very cool. They're smart. Also, they have a "religion" or at least a series of traditions that they stick too, and I admire that]. They don't have emotions, so they can think under stressful situations. They might just be a superior race.

Click for Spoiler:

However, I do also have to say that the Borg are cool too :-)

Vulcan is simular to Earth when it comes to a race of humans, example: On Earth most humans have religion, lets say the Buddist monks who remind me of the Vulcan religion have simular goals, meditation, discipline and focus the difference is on Vulcan there is one religion and Earth many.As a race or species the only difference between human and Vulcan is that Vulcan live longer and are stonger but that does always mean superior example: Spock's half brother Sybok, the renegade Vulans in Enterprise "Fusion" that enjoyed expressing emotions, so the point I'm saying is with out their religion Vulcans are not so superior, T'Pol is slowly getting away from it in my opion. In my opion Vulcan is 95.1 involved in faith the rest are free souls. :laugh:

In my opion Vulcan is 95.1 involved in faith the rest are free souls.

That could be the poll in the 22nd Century, what about the 24th? they all seems to be in touch with their "religion"

So far I haven't seen any Vulcan who aint talking differently then the rest. Well except for those young ones like Vorrik in Voyager who barely got the luxury of time in a Vulcan temple. :laugh:

The difference between "early Vulcan" & "TNG Vulcan" attitudes seems to have a lot to do with Humanity's maturing over the decades, caused by our increased contact with other species.

I would have to agree with the quote above and that Vulcans are not necessarily superior, but just in a cultural contrast to humans in the early contacts. When two societies meet, it takes time for them to climatize to each other and you can understand Vulcan's with there emphasis on control initially feel superior to humans.

When groups meet first they Form, then they Storm, then finally they Norm. In Enterprise and TOS I think we can see the Forming and Storming phases of these two cultures coming together, with the storming visibly lessening during TOS movies. Then during TNG the humans and Vulcans are into a more norming phase.

As for references made to Spock's decision to join Starfleet and the beginning of his conflict with Sarek; this story is cronicled in the novel "Vulcan's Forge" by Josepha Sherman & Susan Shwartz. Half the story takes place with Spock as a boy on Vulcan, and the other half in the present; being just after Kirk's death on Enterprise B. I found it to be an enjoyable read, pretty quick, rate it a 3 out of 5.

Cheers!! :laugh:

CR

Vulcans do not feel pride, many illogical humans mistake their actions since they have no real clue sometimes what Vulcans are doing....especially when young ensigns interrupt their meditation time.

How embarrasing that is. I've fallen asleep at my post many times, right Fen? :roflmao::roflmao: