One question that I have thought about long and hard (well for at least 2 mins!!) concerns the creation of the character Riker. Which other character do you think he is largely based on, Kirk or Decker?

On one hand the Riker Troy relationship is the same as Decker was intended to have on ST Phase 2, BUT on the other hand, Riker gets all the ladies and has led many landing parties as Kirk also did.

So, what do you think?

I can see a little bit of both. Even in his name Willard(or Will) Decker + James T. Kirk = William T. Riker. I'm sure that the character probably originally came from the role that Decker was to play on Phase 2, but along the line after the Picard character was created Riker probably took on the traits of Kirk that Picard lacked. That's my theory anyway.

:tear: Who is decker?

Decker was intended to be the executive officer to Captain Kirk during the Enterprise's second five year mission, which would have been shown in the aborted series: Star Trek Phase II. It was then decided that Star Trek should be turned into a film and was confirmed due to the domination of Star Wars. Hence, Decker can be seen in Star Trek The Motion Picture, although he does not survive the film and has been changed to a Captain, the basis of the original character remains with his former relationship with a certain Deltan.

Guest Ktrek
I need to go rent the motion picture, it's been years since I've seen it.

Uhura Riker, If you rent The Motion Picture be sure you rent the "new" directors edition and not the other older version. There have been some really good re-editing jobs by the director and also some special effects have been removed and replaced with better. It is actually a much better movie now then when it first came out. It flows better too!

Ktrek

I need to go rent the motion picture, it's been years since I've seen it.

Uhura Riker, If you rent The Motion Picture be sure you rent the "new" directors edition and not the other older version. There have been some really good re-editing jobs by the director and also some special effects have been removed and replaced with better. It is actually a much better movie now then when it first came out. It flows better too!

Ktrek

Some it is an improvement but I found that the triming down of certain scenes took away from the tension of the film. I do like the CGI stuff that has been added but not the removal of that computer voice saying "Red Alert".

i think riker was meant to be the `kirk` of the series...or at least have some kinda hunky overgrown boyscout charm about him....i just watched hide and q, and i couldnt help but think...wait! thats kirk hair!

Interesting question. I see Riker and Wesley as being very similar but of course that's not who he was written to resemble. That was just a happenstance. I would tend to agree though that he had a lot more in common with Kirk than Decker though.

He may have borrowed some personality from Kirk, though personally I don't find the two very much alike. Riker, especially in the later seasons seems much more serious and morose than Kirk ever did. He is also a much bulkier man than Kirk, though I suppose that shouldn't affect his personality. Anyway I guess I never saw the same boyish giddyness in Riker that I did in Kirk. They do both score with the women though. If that is what matters. But then again so does Picard when he loosens up a little.

Decker had only one movie unless I missed something. Difficult to guess what he would have been like.