Sign in to follow this  
gul_nodrog

Sisko "made into a god"

I was watching the special features for Season 7 a while back (we always watch those first before we start watching episodes).

Now usually I'm right with Behr about everything he says, but it seemed to me in the final season we had an extreme parting of the ways. He said something about he wanted to end the series by making Sisko into a god. Now I liked the whole Emissary thing and I enjoyed any episode that dealt directly with that topic. However, I really wish they had just let Sisko build his house on B'ajor, have his baby with Kasidy and live happily ever after. Joining the Prophets in the celestial temple was the last thing I had in mind for his character, not before he'd lived a good, long life and died of old age on B'ajor.

I really didn't like the way DS9 ended for any of the characters (I know that some of you completely disagree with me), but Sisko's finale was particularly irritating. Especially after the wonderful episode "The Visitor" (?) where Jake spends his whole life trying to bring his father back from an alternate dimension. Old man Jake dies to save Benjamin because "young Jake Sisko needs his father." Now why wouldn't young Jake Sisko still need his father a mere 3 or 4 years later when Dad is shipped off to join the Prophets possibly never to be seen corporeally again?

I would hear from others who agree with me on this. But I know that I'll probably hear from more of you who DON'T agree with me .... aaah well, such is the order of things. :dude:

I'm in agreement with you on this one. I'm not happy with the way the series ended. In fact a while ago I posted a similar topic and poll..

DS9

DS9 Opinion

I'm in agreement with you on this one. I'm not happy with the way the series ended. In fact a while ago I posted a similar topic and poll..

DS9

DS9 Opinion

Hi there! I voted in your poll and responded to your posts re: What you Leave Behind. I really wasn't trying to repeat ... my main issue with this post was just the Sisko thing.

Obviously, I have many issues with the series finale and the way DS9 is/was treated by TPTB. Did you watch that interview with Behr on the Season 7 DVD box set? If you haven't watched it yet, I'll try not to give anything away for you .... but I think ol' Ira had gone a bit off the deep end by Season 7. His comments and observations, particularly in regard to how Sisko should end up, were just a little too weird for me. Weirder than usual, I should say. In the first six seasons' interviews with him, I was like "right on, brother," and during the Season 7 interview I just kept shooting puzzled looks across the room at my husband like, "Man, is it just me, or is this cat just too bizarre?"

Sisko, a god? :dude: :) The way I see it, the Prophets are just aliens whom the Bajorrans believe to be gods. As for Sisko, I believe he was beamed to the celestial temple AKA wormhole to be trained for his next task. He saved Bajor, maybe they're training him to save Earth? :rofl:

DS9

DS9 Opinion

Hi there! I voted in your poll and responded to your posts re: What you Leave Behind. I really wasn't trying to repeat ... my main issue with this post was just the Sisko thing.

Obviously, I have many issues with the series finale and the way DS9 is/was treated by TPTB. Did you watch that interview with Behr on the Season 7 DVD box set? If you haven't watched it yet, I'll try not to give anything away for you .... but I think ol' Ira had gone a bit off the deep end by Season 7. His comments and observations, particularly in regard to how Sisko should end up, were just a little too weird for me. Weirder than usual, I should say. In the first six seasons' interviews with him, I was like "right on, brother," and during the Season 7 interview I just kept shooting puzzled looks across the room at my husband like, "Man, is it just me, or is this cat just too bizarre?"

Yes, he was a bit too wierd in that interview. Maybe that's why DS9 ended up the way it did. I have a problem with how some of the main characters departed the station at the end. They handled the Sisko departure badly I thought. That image of Jake and Kira looking out into space at the end; I'll never get that image out of my head..Not how I want to remember this wonderful series..But that's the image I'm stuck with!

Edited by spacetigger

Stardate:214437.3

Well I kinda like the way they ended DS9.I agree maybe they shouldnt of turned him into one of the prophets but I like the way he sacrificed his life to kill Dukat.Dukat was like the Khan to Sisko's Kirk.Arch enemies facing off at the end.

I feel it was a satasfactory end to the show. I am not pleased that Sisko dies, even if he is re-born to exist with the 'prophets' but considering that, it fitted in with the story that preceeded it and I think it was the right way to go.

Sisko, a god? :)  :rofl: The way I see it, the Prophets are just aliens whom the Bajorrans believe to be gods.  As for Sisko, I believe he was beamed to the celestial temple AKA wormhole to be trained for his next task.  He saved Bajor, maybe they're training him to save Earth? :dude:

I didn't say Sisko was a "god", that's what Ira Steven Behr said in his interview on the Season 7 box set. Apparently that's what we were all supposed to get from Sisko being beamed into the wormhole ... that he is now a "god." Funny, I didn't quite catch that inference watching "What You Leave Behind." I guess Behr was channeling the prophets when he put that series finale together ... it was vague and made little sense.

Sisko, a god? :waaaa:  :assimilated: The way I see it, the Prophets are just aliens whom the Bajorrans believe to be gods.  As for Sisko, I believe he was beamed to the celestial temple AKA wormhole to be trained for his next task.  He saved Bajor, maybe they're training him to save Earth? :assimilated:

a prelude to the next movie?

Sisko, a god? :waaaa:  :assimilated: The way I see it, the Prophets are just aliens whom the Bajorrans believe to be gods.  As for Sisko, I believe he was beamed to the celestial temple AKA wormhole to be trained for his next task.  He saved Bajor, maybe they're training him to save Earth? :assimilated:

I didn't say Sisko was a "god", that's what Ira Steven Behr said in his interview on the Season 7 box set. Apparently that's what we were all supposed to get from Sisko being beamed into the wormhole ... that he is now a "god." Funny, I didn't quite catch that inference watching "What You Leave Behind." I guess Behr was channeling the prophets when he put that series finale together ... it was vague and made little sense.

Behr must be smoking... :assimilated: The Prophets are aliens and Sisko is a man. :assimilated:

Well, I'm not sure. Maybe. There's no plans for a movie, but I suspect that the reason for the cliffhanger finale was to leave room for the fans discuss what "could" happen and to leave a door open for a possible movie.

Behr must be smoking... :rolleyes: The Prophets are aliens and Sisko is a man. B)

Sisko wasn't totally 'a man'. Part of him was wormhole-alien as well. I believe that when he appeared to die, he was sort of throwing the shackles of his human body and joining the plain of the aliens. Maybe proving his worth. Since the aliens are timeless, they knew what was going to happen and put him in place to prevent the rise of the Pah Wraiths. I think that they had aplan for him all along, unknown to him. Though I wonder: is Jake part alien as well? When the alien possessed Sisko's real mother, was he the product of a human joining/biology or was a part of the alien in him as well?

Help me out here, because I haven't watched Deep Space Nine in a while. But wasn't there an episode where Sisko asked the prophets to close the wormhole to a fleet of Dominion ships that were about to come through? And then the prophets told him that he'd have to repay them somehow? Could having to live with them be the payment? I, too, wish Sisko could have just gone to live in his house on Bajor. But it would have seemed like an empty promise if the series ended and he hadn't repaid his debt.

Help me out here, because I haven't watched Deep Space Nine in a while. But wasn't there an episode where Sisko asked the prophets to close the wormhole to a fleet of Dominion ships that were about to come through? And then the prophets told him that he'd have to repay them somehow? Could having to live with them be the payment? I, too, wish Sisko could have just gone to live in his house on Bajor. But it would have seemed like an empty promise if the series ended and he hadn't repaid his debt.

I think you're merging 2 different things together, he did ask them to 'get rid' of the Dominion fleet... which they did and when he was about to get re-married they told him that if he did that there'd be pain or words to that effect meaning that it would be a short lived marriage.

Sisko, a god? :laugh:  :laugh: The way I see it, the Prophets are just aliens whom the Bajorrans believe to be gods.  As for Sisko, I believe he was beamed to the celestial temple AKA wormhole to be trained for his next task.  He saved Bajor, maybe they're training him to save Earth? :P

Well, I'm not sure. Maybe. There's no plans for a movie, but I suspect that the reason for the cliffhanger finale was to leave room for the fans discuss what "could" happen and to leave a door open for a possible movie.

I think a movie would be awesome because then we will get to see how the lives of the remaining people on the station changed after Dominion war ended and plus I would've liked to see Sisko return from celestial temple but it's but a dream because I don't think there will be a Deep Space Nine movie anytime in the foreseeable future. :flowers: