Sign in to follow this  
starsinmyeyes

Favourite Authors- non Star Trek

My favourite author is Anne McCaffrey of the Pern Series. I like all of her books except maybe for Death of Sleep Series. Also like Stephen Donaldson, Hienlin, Janny Wurts, Tolkein. Favourite genre- Sci-fiction and fantasy and any books about astronomy!

Use this topic to post your favourite authors/books.....

When I was younger, my favorite author was Ray Bradbury. I read everyone of his books. As I got older the reading list became a little more serious. Right now my two favorite authors are none other than Arthur C. Clarke and Michael Crichton. If you never read the Rama series by Clarke, please do so. They are long but fascinating none the less. Science fiction that really deals in science fact. And lets not forget the classic "Childhoods End". As for Crichton, the list for him goes all the way back to "The Andromeda Strain", a very scary book even by todays standards right on up through "Prey". I recommend all these titles to the unintiated when it comes to real believable science fiction.

Loved Andromeda Strain and have read and enjoyed a part of the Rama series by Clarke.... Never tried Ray Bradbury seriously .. I'll have to give him a go. Thanks :tear:

Guest Ktrek

Well, since I don't have alot of time to read most of my reading lately has been Star Trek books. However, I really love the Lord of The Rings trilogy and almost anything by Robert Heinlein. If I'm into lightweight brainless fluff and entertainment I really enjoy Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels or any of the James Bond novels. The author doing Bond now, Raymond Benson has written some really great exciting stories that are quick reads. His Bond is more like the Pierce Brosnan Bond but enjoyable. I'm also still a big Doc Savage fan. Remember the Doc Savage books that Bantam put out during the 60's to the 80s'? Kind of a pulp superhero kind of thing but fun. It's like what Flash Gordon is to movie lovers, Doc Savage is to book lovers. Very cult classic. As far as mystery/suspense books I really like P.D. James's Adam Dahgleish books or Patricia Cornwall's stuff. That's all I can think of right now but if I think of something else I'll add it.

Ktrek

For me its Steven King and Tom Clancy.Mr.King does really good horror (The Stand,Carrie,Dead Zone),and Mr.Clancey does the best techno thrillers (Hunt for Red October,Patriot Games,Clear and Present Danger).

I agree that Raymond Benson is really good. He writes some great Bond books, but Ian Fleming will always be the best.

Anyways, I also love John Grisham. He has some great books. I think my two favorites are The Testament and The Street Lawyer.

Also, I really enjoy reading Micheal Crichton. Especially Sphere. I read it before I saw the movie and I absolutely loved it!

Well, I personally don't care who the author is, as long as it's Star Wars I'm happy, aspecially if it's more about Bounty Hunters or Smugglers.

I like horror mostly especially Stephen King and Dean Koontz. I was partial to pulp novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs non-tarzan works (Lost Continent and Beyond the Farthest Star.) Also I'm into Harry Turtledove, the master of alternate historical events. His best work is probably "The World's at War" series which tells the tale if Aliens from space did an all out attack during the out break of World War II. I like how he weaves actual historical characters in the story to make the setting more believable.

ah here we go. Clive Cussler , Dean Koontz , John Grishman and my fav right now James Patterson of Kiss the Girls and Along came the spider fame, I've also been thinking of getting into some CSI books as I can't stay awake to watch the darn show anymore.

I have many favourite authors in each form of writing (i.e. Novels, plays, poetry etc) and in several genres.

But seeing as the majority of this board are American, then I shall focus on my favourite US author, who is....(drum roll please)... Arthur Miller.

My favorite sci-fi author is Isaac Asimov - plus I've read some of his non-fiction books as well. I think Peter Jackson should set his sights on "The Foundation Trilogy" when he's finished LOTR. I would love to see that made into a movie but it would have to be done well - I don't think most directors could do it.

I haven't had a lot of time for reading lately and read non-fiction a lot when I do. I enjoyed reading C.S. Lewis and Jane Austen, and did read one Tom Clancy which was excellent

I love Dean Koontz, my fave book is probably Mr.Murder, though all the ones iv'e read are great. I also read a book called Swan Song about a girl with special powers who would be the world's saviour, that blew me away. I THINK the author was Robert McCammon but not sure.

Peter David (Various Trek Novels [e.g.: "Star Trek: New Frontier"]), Jon Vornholt ("Genesis Wave"), Sue Grafton ("Q Is For Quarry"), Edna Buchannon (Real Life 'True Crime' Reporter for "The Miami Herald" Newspaper & Author, "Never Let Them See You Cry".)

You,v propably not heard of him but my favourite author is called Robert Rankin the funnyest writer on the planet. If you ever get the chance to read one of his books do so he is great. :look: Or visit his fan site Here. Read his biograph. I allso love Terry Prattchet

Patricia McKillip - All her books are wonderful, but the Riddlemaster trilogy is probably still my favorite. Her style is incredibly beautiful and haunting.

Tolkien - I read the trilogy about once a year.

Clarke - The City and the Stars is still my favorite, tho I'm rereading the Rama series now.

Heinlein - Time Enough for Love, of course.

David Brin's Uplift series - I'd love it if the Enterprise met up with the Tymbrimi.

Ann McCaffrey - All her books are great.

Robert Parker - Especially the Spenser series, but I like his new characters, too.

Dorothy Sayers - Read the Lord Peter series about once a year, too.

Spyder Robinson - The Callahan series.

Alan Dean Foster - The Flynx series, and he wrote some really good Star Trek, too.

And then there's James Herriot, JK Rowling, Georgette Heyer, Alexander Dumas, Ursula K. Leguin, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Issac Asimov, Gordon Dickson, Lucy Walker, Gene Stratton Porter, Landford Wilson and Samuel Becket.

Gosh, this was a really hard question. :laugh:

Definately add Edgar Allen Poe to my list! I especially like: The Cask of Amontillado, The Raven, The Fall of The House of Usher, The Telltale Heart, and Black Cat!

V.C. Andrews (A few of the family series books)

Stephen King(Carrie;Christine;The Dark Half ect)

When I was younger, my favorite author was Ray Bradbury.

oh yeah, I like his books.

I've also gotten started on terry pratchettt, which were recommended to me by abakai. and J.R.R Tolkien. I haven't had time to read a lot of books lately, but I'm sure my list a favorite authors will grow this summer when I have more free time :lol: ahh! don't you just love summer?

Some of my favourite authors are...

Brian Aldis

Robert Heinlein

H.G.Wells

Frank Herbert

Isaac Asimov

Poul Anderson

James Blish

Ray Bradbury

Philip.K.(Please stop me from cursing)

Aldous Huxley

Anne Mccaffrey

Michael Moorcock

Frederick Pohl

Robert Silverberg

Clifford Simak

A.E.Van Vogt

Kurt Vonnegut

John Wyndham

I have to agree I like Isaac Asimov I have read foundation and earth over 8 times I also like Terry Brooks, Margret Wies and Tracy Hickman and I can't leave out Peter David

i like ken follett< and his books -pillars of the earth and -a place called freedom.id rank them as must reads!!!!

When i was about 12-or-13 I discovered S.E.Hinton's novels in the school library.I read The Outsiders,That Was Then,This Is Now,and Rumble Fish, so often that year, that the librarian just ended up giving me those books at the end of the school year.that summer I wore them out,cover-to-cover.I mean they just literally fell apart.In high School I started reading Ray Bradbury,Clive Barker,and Stephen King.At first I was a huge Barker fan(I had read his short stories,Books of Blood,etc),but his larger works didn't seem to be as good,and were often difficult to follow/understand after about the first three hundred pages.I've since developed a great fondness for stephen King.the man's a genius.He can write about any subject and keep you captivated.one of his best stories is about a little league baseball team from Maine(I love baseball).It was great.Lets see,I've enjoyed Tolkien and Roald Dahl.My all-time favorite book is Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes.I read that one as a child too,and still have my ratty old copy of the paperback.I could just go on and on.I have thousands of books and am a compulsive reader.I go through about four books a week.I'm presently re-reading King's Dark Tower series.After that,I'll tackle my John Saul collection.Haven't read but one or two of his works before,though I've owned many of his books for years.I just wish I could get my nephews interested in reading.Too much tv is not good('cept,Star Trek,of course). :blink:

Roguedawg

I just wish I could get my nephews interested in reading.Too much tv is not good('cept,Star Trek,of course).

How old are your nephews?

I had a class of mostly boys aged 9-12 who just weren't hooked into reading. Then they discovered Emily Rodda's books The Deltora Series and now they just devour books. The series 8 books in all are fairly easy to read with adventure, horrible creatures, goodies and baddies and puzzles to solve.

Help this helps.