Sign in to follow this  
Tina

Why is T'pol so frigid?

BS!!!!!!!!!

T'pol is so frigid because the writers wrote her that way!

Because Vulcans are supposed to have a higher sense of self.But they were never Snotty about it!

Enterprise just reuined my favorite Species on Trek and i hate them for it!

I've found that the Vulcans in ENT are portrayed much like the TNG Romulans...

Arrogant and egotistic...

I agree with you Tina!!!

:waaaa:

I actually agree with you on something....

You probably find that an insult..... :eekout:

To understand T'Pol's attitude in the first couple seasons I think it's important to keep in mind that ENT takes place before the Federation. Vulcan in the 22nd century is a fairly isolated planet. As far as we know, Earth is the only other planet that they have strong diplomatic ties with. Also, the Vulcans are far more technologically advanced, and view Earth as a relatively primitive race.

By Spocks era, Vulcans and Humans had co-existed for over a century together. They were part of a vast alliance of worlds, and had gotten used to each other for the most part.

I think the writers on ENT did a great job showing the culture clash between Humans and Vulcans- it made the show more realistic and dramatic.

T'Pol is arrogant and condescending - IMO that is partly Blalocks inability to act. She couldn't act unemotional and instead chose to go with negative emotions? I have to agree with Tina and WAB - ENT really messed up with the Vulcans.

If I hadn't become more impressed with Archer I'm not sure I'd be coming back for season 4.

Blalocks inability to act

Jolene's a fine actress, she's done a really good job in what must be a tough role. Remember that it is writers and network execs who determine what T'Pols actions are going to be. I do think the past couple series have put a lot of emphasis on physical appearance, rather than scientific talent. But this extends to Voyager, as well as, Enterprise.

It was my understanding, and I believe it was pointed out in season 2, I think it was, by the Vulcan Ambassador Enterprise was called to rescue, that T'Pol was actually far older than she appears. I do not believe it is her youth that hold her "figid". And frigid is an unfair term. Vulcans are taught to suppress their emotions and their responses from birth. This is the reason they react so violently during Pon farr. They are stripped of their Logic.

T'Pol was betrothed in season 1. I missed most of the episode in which she broke it off with her fiance, but I found it odd she could just do that without going through the ritual challenge of Kalifee, as Spock had to in order to divorce T'Pring. One must note here that in certain cultures here on Earth betrothals are taken so seriously that a divorce is necessary to break them off. So, I think that is where the writer's derived the Kalifee ritual. Spock even described his situation as less than a marriage but more than a betrothal, and that there was a short ceremony to come to cement the deal. Of course, he was surprised to be Challenged.

This calling off of T'Pol's wedding may have been the same episode in which she chose to leave Vulcan space command or whatever it is called to stay on board the Enterprise with Archer. I only saw it once, and someone else may better know the answer to that one.

I don't think T'Pol is so frigid as she is disciplined in Logic. Although from the sounds of it, she may be finding some sense of balance, lol!

T'Bree