• Donovan McNabb
    • Micheal Jordan
    • Anyone in the Military
    • Police Officers
    • Firefighters
    • Paramedics
    • Teachers
    • Answeres 6-10

Any soldier who is there just to earn a medal often earns something he or she doesn't want. A pine box. A soldier's medals tell a story of who they are, where they have been, and what they have done. for example, in a unit I was in a few years ago, we had a Colonel who had the Southeast and Southwest Asia service medals, Kuwaiti Liberation Medal, and a few others. you can tell by looking at him that he'd been alot of places. most soldiers don't TRY to earn Medals, they earn them because of who they are. Anyone who is in the Military, or is a police officer, or a firefighter, or a teacher, or a parent, is not in this for the personal gain. if they are, they probably need to find something new.

Edited by hardcharginsarge

Hmm, what does my Fruit Salad say about me? it says I've served my country with honor, and that I have participated in action supporting the Global War on Terrorism. like the Sergeant said, your awards tell a story of who you are. someone who serves in the military and never earns a single medal is someone who probably got discharged as an UHC, or OTH.

My hero is anyone who has earned one of the following: Purple Heart, POW/MIA medal, Congressional Medal of Honor (or the foriegn equievelents)

if you have earned any of the above, you are certainly worthy of much respect and admiration for your courage and toughness.

True these people are heroes -

But your post reminded me of something else. These people would have never have gotten to their hero status if someone hadn't been around to feed them every three hours, change the didi's, rock them, nurse their ills...etc. when they were small. What I'm saying is there are a lot of people who every day out of love or duty do mind-numbingly routine tasks for the benefit of someone else. They never get awards, trophies or even recognition(until their eulogy). While it is true some people are called on to make great sacrifices and commit great feats - I think we're a bit short sighted to think they are the only people who do anything worthwhile.

I think as a nation we'd all be better off if we were more appreciative of all the service that is done by the little people in our lives.

To me the ultimate hero is someone who lives by principles (when those principles are based on love) and serves others despite personal inconvenience or the ridicule of society. That includes soldiers who serve faithfully without ever getting a medal.

You really touched me there TUH, because it made me think, i've been the worst little brat to my mother, when she looked after me regardless, *thanks mum*, i wouldn't be the intelligent, caring person who'll help anyone who needs it, even if they're dying i'll risk my life to help, if they are being beaten i'll risk my safety for a stanger anyday, all thanx to my mother who's a nurse, and taught me all my medical knowledge, and helped form my principles.

Hmm, what does my Fruit Salad say about me? it says I've served my country with honor, and that I have participated in action supporting the Global War on Terrorism. like the Sergeant said, your awards tell a story of who you are. someone who serves in the military and never earns a single medal is someone who probably got discharged as an UHC, or OTH.

Okay so maybe I used an incorrect analogy because I am unfamiliar with military protocal. Maybe you can't get out of the service without a medal. I think most people got my point -

To be honest when I was a child my heroes were Wonder Woman, the Bionic Woman, the Six Million Dollar Man, Batman and Superman.

I was young but today I know those were only fantasies not realities. When you are young that doesn't matter. Sometimes you played make believe that you were one of these heroes. Don't get me wrong, I admired Wonder Woman and the Bionic Woman for what they stood for. Being a young female of the 1980's, I could really relate to what they were saying. "Women can do anything that they set their minds to".

In today's world, I know this to be true. There are female police, female firefighters, medics, teachers, doctors ect.

These are my heroes as well as their male counterparts.

:assimilated::waaaa::assimilated::assimilated::assimilated::assimilated::assimilated::assimilated::assimilated::assimilated:

Anyone from 6-10.

Sometimes my job means for me to work with paramedics and doctors and when you see them doing what theyre best at, its just amazing. They save lives and watch families rejoice that their loved ones are healthy.

I trained to be in the RAF but then realised that a counselor was more what i wanted to do but the people listed in the poll from 6-10 are amazing people and where would this world be without them.

I Picked 6-10.

However I am partial to the answer to Anyone In The Military. I would be in the Air Force now if I didnt have corrective spinal surgery when I was a teenager.

Alot of people try to get into the US Military, make it in, and graduate Basic training, only to go to Medical before their first school, and find something that the docs at Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) missed, and they end up getting a Medical Discharge. it's sad. some of these people could have been great additions to our military.

Alot of people try to get into the US Military, make it in, and graduate Basic training, only to go to Medical before their first school, and find something that the docs at Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) missed, and they end up getting a Medical Discharge. it's sad. some of these people could have been great additions to our military.

They don't meet the minimum standards. Whether this is discovered at the MEPS or at the unit makes no difference. If they don't meet the standards they don't belong.

Is it the soldier's fault? Hell no, and I'm all for allowing them some separation pay for their time and inconvenience. But keeping them in the military puts others in the military at an increased risk.

Oh, yeah, forgot what I wanted to say.

The problem with heros is everyone has their own standard as to whom they consider a hero. I marked those serving in the military as my heros, although I can think of some individuals I've served under who don't deserve to wear the uniform. I consider the cops who actually protect, defend, and serve the public as heros, but this does not include the ones who are just glorified ticket writers. I consider QUALITY teachers to be heros, but many of them don't deserve to be teaching.

But what about the "whistleblowers" at, say, Enron and Worldcom? They weren't exactly in a life or death situation, but they put their livelihoods and careers in jeopardy by doing the right thing and exposing their company's corrupt business proctices. Time Magazine made them their "People of the Year" for 2002.

I think Bill Mahar said it best. "Victims" are those who find themselves in harm's way. "Heros" are the ones who PUT themselves in harm's way.

Guest Tribbleman1000

6-10. There always trying to help us and willtry to work their best at it. And there being heroes every other day. But that's my opinion! :tank: :tomcat: :) :cops:

[glow=]PS I agree with u van roy.[/glow]

Edited by Tribbleman1000

it is hard to be away from home, in hostile territory. those who can handle it usually are the ones who survive. those who don't, do something stupid and get themselves killed. I'm one of the former, though anyone who has been in combat and says they weren't scared either is lying about not being scared, or is lying about being in combat.

I'll say Anyone in the Military but only because there wasn't an "Other" option.

I don't really have "heroes" now but growing up as a teen I'd have said Ronald Reagan. I've always admired him.

My family are my heroes; my parents, children, and ex-husband (although we are divorced, I know that he is still there for me). :)

Edited by Warrior_Princess