Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike_Hines01

Moving To Mars

Guest Mike_Hines01

Hello everyone, I watched a really interesting programme the other night, called Moving To Mars. It talked about all the ideas of sending people to Mars, new ship designs and stuff like that. What I found really interesting though, was that in a century or two we may be able to turn Mars into an Earth like planet with everything that we have right here on Earth.

I just wanted to know if anyone else thinks that we would be able to do this.

Guest Mike_Hines01

Yes, I agree that we may have men on Mars in a decade or two, but i wanted to know what you thought about terraforming Mars.

And no, I dont think we will find any aliens on Mars, except maybe things like bacteria and extremophiles.

Stardate:21433.9

I love the idea of terraforming Mars.The idea of colonizing other worlds is very exciting.

Well, terraforming mars is a little harder that most people think. It just about never gets above freezing and has just about no water in anywhere but (maybe) the poles (which, of course, are even colder) The only way to effectivey terraform it would be to:

• Move its orbit into the fully habitable zone

• Genetically Engineer an organism to survive on the fridgid, barren surface

• Thicken or heat up the atmosphere with something

Prospects are not to promising for the near future.

But, you never know...

I THINK I SAW THE SAME PROGRAM MIKE

I TOO THOUGHT IT WAS COOL,HELL I WOULD

LIKE TO LIVE THERE :blink:

SUNSET ON MARS MUST BE SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!

someday maybe it would be cool to be there when it happens. maybe are great, great,great grandchildren will take part

It might be possible, given our current level of technology, to terraform Mars in a century or more.

The key to colonizing Mars is to find something useful there. Nobody is moving to Mars just for the sake of moving to Mars. Whether it is a rare element to be mined or year-round skiing, there has to be some kind of economic incentive involved. Otherwise, you end up with a few bases for scientific research like we have in Antarctica.

Edited by edmcgon

Guest Mike_Hines01

The programme I watched suggested that terraforming Mars could be done a lot quicker by melting the dry ice in the southern pole, this would release CO2 into the atmosphere and start off the Green House effect and warm up the planet. They also said that there could be water just a few metres under the surface, and if we could get to it we could start to plant trees and send up algea which would start to produce oxygen.

Mike, are you asking about the moral implications of terra forming - if indeed there is bacterial life should we "interfere" with the natural evolution of Mars life by replacing it with our own.

Actually, I have read that people are discussing this. Here's one website:

Thinkquest

Others just support colonization -

Mars Frontier

I'd probably have to give this more thought but my general feeling is the presence of bacteria isn't a moral bar to colonization. If left alone it may over several millenia evolve into an advanced lifeform but it may not.

I think there will always be adventurers lured by a new frontier who will want to colonize space - Star Trek and this bb are examples of how people feel that drive. Besides - we've kind of run out of places to colonize on Earth.

I think there will always be adventurers lured by a new frontier who will want to colonize space - Star Trek and this bb are examples of how people feel that drive.  Besides - we've kind of run out of places to colonize on Earth.

TUH,

There is plenty of room in Antarctica to colonize. My point is that if we are not moving to someplace as free and open as Antarctica, why would people move to Mars, which is LESS hospitable? Even terraformed, Mars would still be colder than Earth.

I have nothing against visiting Mars. I just think we will need an economic incentive to stay there.