Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

NX-class VS Akira-class

Here's an old debate in fandom, but I'd thought I'd bring it back.

NX-class VS Akira-class - Akiraprise?

What do you think of the NX-class? Is it an upside-down Akira? Is it purposely based on the Akira-class for the fans? What are your thoughts?

While it's obvious that the saucer-hull from the Akira-class is the exact same one on the NX-class, all other details and shapres are different. So, the way I see it, they used the hull of the Akira-class, redesigned the back part of the ship, while giving it a 22nd-century era skin of detail. I'm very happen with the design. :blink:

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Guest Mike_Hines01

As a big Enterprise fan myself, and as it is set before the Akiras time, I like to think that the Akira design could have come from the NX design, not the other way around.

Also I'd just like to add that I think the NX is the best looking ship I've seen on Star Trek, and I know a lot of people will probably disagree with that. But I don't care. :blink:

As a big Enterprise fan myself, and as it is set before the Akiras time, I like to think that the Akira design could have come from the NX design, not the other way around.

Yes, in-story wise, you are correct, but I was speaking from the production point of view. :lol:

Also I'd just like to add that I think the NX is the best looking ship I've seen on Star Trek, and I know a lot of people will probably disagree with that. But I don't care.  :blink:

I agree, the NX-01 is the best ship we've seen from the 22nd-century era of Trek. :blink:

I love the NX, I see it as a predecessor to the Akira and there is nothing wrong with that. As CJLP once said it's about linage The NX could be said to be based on a very popular (and brilliant, successful) past airplane design allowing the NX to say it has deep roots in aviation history thus linking all future Ent's to the past in a way other than just by name. :blink:

I agree with everything that has been said, and have always held nearly the same view - no need to debate it. :)

I mainly place more emphasis on the fact that the NX is more than just loosely based on the Akira. Lose the secondary hull, lower the catamarans, and turn up the nacelle struts - that gives you the BASIC overall structure of the NX.

The Akira is my second favorite Federation ship design (behind the gorgeous Excelsior :) ), so I think the NX is also an attractive design. However, I wasn't happy when I first saw the NX - I felt like something had really been taken away from the originality of the Akira. Think it irrational if you wish, that was just the way I saw it. :)

Now I have no choice but to see the Akira as a retro design within Trek. I've accepted it now anyway B) , and only don't care for the profile view of the NX.

ok, because i am bored out of my mind, i will list the reasons why they are the same, yet different.

#1: The nacilles are flipped over.

#2: The Nacilles are melded into the saucer section of the NX, but the AKIRA has them kinda sitting on top.

#3: The nacilles people, look at the nacilles!

MISTER T ROCKS

:cool: :cool: :cool:

#1: The nacilles are flipped over.

The nacelles are not flipped over. Do a search on google and compare pictures of the NX-class and the Akira-class

#2: The Nacilles are melded into the saucer section of the NX, but the AKIRA has them kinda sitting on top.

Do you mean the two structures that extend out to the struts which keep the nacellesa safe distance from the main body? They design, while similar to the Akira-class, is quite different.

#3: The nacilles people, look at the nacilles!

The nacelles are a cross between the Pheonix and the TOS Enterprise nacelles.

In conclussion: It seems to me that you are basing this from quick glances and not detailed studying.

The Enterprise NX-01 was badly designed... Well, it wasn't really designed... it was copied from the Akira class!!!

Here are some pics:

Click for Spoiler:

akira-vs-akiraprise.jpg

AND...

Click for Spoiler:

enterpriselarge-comments.jpg

ALSO!!! READ THIS ARTICLE!!!

Click for Spoiler:

ew-akiraprise.jpg Edited by Alterego

If I had enough spare time, I could draw just as many similarities between the TOS Enterprise & the Enterprise-D or between Voyager and the Enterprise-E. <_< In real life, the NX-class is based on the fan-favorite Akira-class, but in the Trek universe, the Akira-class is based on the NX-class. Why is this so hard to figure out?

If I had enough spare time, I could draw just as many similarities between Voyager and the Enterprise-E. <_<

Well, Voyager and the Ent-E are in the same time period, not OVER 200 YEARS APART!!!!!

You know what I really hate. Nit-pickers.

Yes, they are similar. Enterprise may or may not be based on the Akira class. What does it matter? You either like the show or not. If you hate the show, don't hate it because two ship designs are similar. Hate it because of crummy plots, bad characters or other reasons you may be able to come up with.

I think the whole "Akiraprise" fiasco is just Star Trek fans looking for reasons to reject ENT and show how "bad" it is. I think the "Akiraprise" debate is just one of their attempts to degrade the show. I'll agree, the NX-01 has lots in common with the Akira-class, but does it really matter? Make the Akira-class a lot smaller and turn it into a 22nd century ship and you get NX-01. That was the intention from the get go. There's only two or three details that are exatcly like on the Akira-class, but these can be atributed as being "missed" by the designers who were basing the NX-class on the Akira-class.

hehe <_< the Akira-class is based on the NX-classes of the 2150's...

I agree with Captain Jean-Luc Picard (and Surax on the part where you shouldn't hate a show due to inconsistencies)...

hehe, I mentioned the Akiraprise in the Trivia session....

Here's the link where Harry got his info...

The "Akiraprise" Designlastresort.jpg42.gif

The Adventures of STF.net

You have said that your big concern is the timeline, well 2151 comes before 2370 in the timeline so the Akira Class is a copy of the NX-01. Besides that, So what if the 21st Century model designers borrowed many features of the Akira Class for the NX-01?

Harry, you dislike Enterprise and have proclaimed that in no uncertain terms. Everyone knows of the similarities between the NX-01 and the Akira Class. Enterprise fans don't really care though.

My suggestion to you is this... Get Over It. If you don't like the show, don't watch it. If you don't watch it then why complain? I didn't particularly care for Voyager when it was in it's first run so I rarely watched it but I didn't go out complaining about the show. Get Over It.

Guest Mike_Hines01

You know what Harry, you and your little Basher buddies are starting to get on my nerves. Like many people have said if you don't like the show then don't watch. While you may think you're degrading Enterprise you're not, by watching it to pick out every little thing thats wrong with it you're helping the show by increasing it's ratings. So just stop watching it, be quiet and let the rest of us enjoy the show in piece.

Ok I don't know squat about Enterprise, I don't watch the show, but Harry why can't you just let the fans enjoy their show without constantly telling them how stupid it is? <_< I'm getting really annoyed with this and I'm not even an Enterprise fan. <_<

Guest Mike_Hines01
While you may think you're degrading Enterprise you're not, by watching it to pick out every little thing thats wrong with it you're helping the show by increasing it's ratings.

Ssshhh!!! Don't let him know that! <_<

Sorry Captain, but I'm just getting a little ticked off with their constant whining.

I don't like ENT, and I'm giving the rest of the "Xindi Arc" a miss, I'll rejoin the show at the start of its next season.

But the design of the ship has never really bothered me, to be honest, I like it.

It does look like the Akira, but if you need a justification for its design, I've always thought that Starfleet simply based their "Akira" design on the NX-01, kinda of 'homage' to the old ships's design.

No big deal. The design of the ship does not in any way affect the quality of the show.

It's irrelevant. <_< <_<

Edited by The King

I like my Akiraprise too AE..

Once again Harry you haven't proved anything to me except that you hate Enterprise..I'll just repeat what everyone else has said..The Akira was based on the NX..Again, if you don't like Enterprise don't watch it..

Guest Guest

For God's sake, every freakin' ship in Trek looks almost the same if you compare them with any ships in any other Sci-Fi series.

Well, in the time that the Akira was first shown I believe it was in FC, which occured in a time when old ship designs were being adopted to increase battlements against the Borg, and Dominion? Uh oh... that precious canon backfiring now ain't it... <_<