Sign in to follow this  
poguemahone

Is Starfleet Military?

if I may, I am a Bostwain's Mate 3rd Class in the US Navy Reserves, and perhaps I can shed some light here. Starfleet, in it's organisation, is a military force. As is the United States Coast Gaurd. if you would, I would compare Starfleet to the USCG because, like the Coast Gaurd, their PRIMARY mission is the safety of others, and they also do alot of scientific work, including exploration and mapmaking. however, in a time of war, the USCG is activated as an auxilary force for the US navy. I'd also note that the majority of Coast Gaurd cutters have some form of weapons system aboard, and Coast Gaurdsmen are armed. In fact, as we speak, there are USCG vessels operating in the Persian Gulf, supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. so, yes, Starfleet is a military organisation, but it is more along the lines of the Coast Gaurd than the Navy. and by the way, the Navy also operates a number of exploration and reserch vessels <USS Dolphin, AGSS-555, for example.>

So, Noone is contesting that Starfleet could be analogous to the USCG? Perhaps I need to inform my friends in the Puddle Pirate Brigade that they could be trhe forerunners of Starfleet?

I've put lots of thought into this, and here is my conclussion:

Starfleet is a military ("The Expanse" messes this up, though), but their goals are not that of today's military.  While they do defend those in need and go on the offensive when neccessary, I'd like to believe that Starfleet's main goal is to explore the galaxy, go on scientific missions, and aid those in need.

What do you guys think?

One difference could be that Starfleet would probably never try to conquer another country with military force, that has been done many times in our time for many different reasons. I agree that Starfleet is a military, however they are not the same as the military we have today.

I was simply trying to point why I think Starfleet is not military in the meaning we have for the word today..

Starfleet is a military ("The Expanse" messes this up, though), but their goals are not that of today's military.  While they do defend those in need and go on the offensive when neccessary, I'd like to believe that Starfleet's main goal is to explore the galaxy, go on scientific missions, and aid those in need.

What do you guys think?

I'm curious to know what you believe today's military's goals are.

What do you guys think?

I would think primarilly defensive, and if neccessary, offensive. Of coarse there's more to it, but if you feel you could sum up the Military's primary goals in a sentence, please share. :laugh:

What do you guys think?

I would think primarilly defensive, and if neccessary, offensive. Of coarse there's more to it, but if you feel you could sum up the Military's primary goals in a sentence, please share. :laugh:

I think you're confusing "Goal" with "Mission". Offensive and Defensive postures, using weapons and killing the enemy are all part of accomplishing whatever the President and the Generals say the mission is but the Primary goal of the military is peace. Think about it, if there is a war who dies? The military. Soldiers don't want to die, they do so because it's part of the "job" and they do so so you won't have to. But the overall primary goal of the military is peace.

What do you guys think?

I think you're confusing "Goal" with "Mission". Offensive and Defensive postures, using weapons and killing the enemy are all part of accomplishing whatever the President and the Generals say the mission is but the Primary goal of the military is peace. Think about it, if there is a war who dies? The military. Soldiers don't want to die, they do so because it's part of the "job" and they do so so you won't have to. But the overall primary goal of the military is peace.

I love the way you put that. THANKS. :laugh:

VBG is right. My "team" <the four guys I work with on inspection missions, that's who I am heading to Iraq with> and I have an unofficial motto, and that is "Peace through Superior Firepower." this I think is the basic goal of the US Military. we will achieve peace, should it be neccisary, through skill and shear firepower. We in the armed forces are trained for war, but we would always prefere that the UN work things out before we have to do our thing. Trust me, No sane warrior likes the thought of taking another human's life. in fact, my uncle had a mental breakdown because he killed someone in the line of duty. Our Goal is peace, and we achieve peace by taking on the missions required of us that are handed down from the Commander in Cheif (President in the US, NOT the Secretary General of the UN. he is not in my Chain of Command, and therefor his orders mean little to me unless I recieve similar orders from the CinC.> for the defense of the nation, which may require an offensive operation (Afghanistan. I don't see anyone protesting Afghanistan)

Star Fleet has a militaristic structure. HOWEVER, it isn't military. It's a combonation of varrious programs, all bundled up into one program - Starfleet.

You have soldiers, doctors, counselors, commanders, pilots, engineers, scientists, and so on. You have warships, battleships, explorration ships, science ships, scout ships, and so on.

After seeing the U.S.S. Grissom, in STIII:TSFS... well, do you REALLY think that Starfleet is completely military?

I say being a military is only a "function" of what Star Fleet does, and it's structure was adopted from the Navy.

I don't know if anyone else called you on this one, but I should say it's worth note that the US Navy has all of the bolded items, as well. All of those things you mentioned are essential to the operation of a successful Navy.