Sign in to follow this  
TheDoctor

I hate the English language!

It just doesn't make any sense!!!

Some word's are spelt so they make sense but other ones that sound the same are spelt completely differently! And what about silent letters?! it's just stupid!

And words like scycho and scycology! I can't even spell it?! And I don't even know what letter it start's with so I can't find it in the dictionary!

It's crazy!!!

Just had to get that off my chest.

English is one of the most complex languages on Earth, being that it is built on several differant languages, mainly German and Latin.

English is one of the most complex languages on Earth, being that it is built on several differant languages, mainly German and Latin.

People who made English were too lazy to make their own language so they copied off everyone else. lol

ø - it's Greek - I forgot the name of the letter but that is where you get psych as in psychology.

oh well the symbol showed up until I posted. :laugh:

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

It's actually very rare, even amoung the educated to see a person ultilize the english in the proper form. To tell you the truth I don't think I used the comma correctly but what can you do? :laugh:

ø - it's Greek - I forgot the name of the letter but that is where you get psych as in psychology.

I believe that symbol is known as theta I could be mistaken though :laugh:

That's how you spell psychology!

I can never remember if it starts with a P, S or C.

Was the letter psi? or phi?

I have a chart on the computer that shows all the Greek letters.

Alpha Beta Gamma Delta Epsilon Zeta Eta Theta Iota Kappa Lambda Mu Nu Xi Omicron Pi Rho Sigma Tau Upsilon Phi Chi Psi Omega

in that order.

lol

Just the General English Language.

The letter Psi...

psi.blue.jpg

Edited by thedoctor

hehe. Smart Seaseme street...

today's show was brought to you by the letter Iota and the number 1 googleplex.

And words like scycho and scycology! I can't even spell it?! And I don't even know what letter it start's with so I can't find it in the dictionary!

It's crazy!!!

Just had to get that off my chest.

I know what ya mean thedoctor, I have the same problem, sometimes.

Around 1400, the pronunciation of most English long vowels was changed, in what is called the Great Vowel Shift. Also, The 'e' at the end of words like "take" was no longer pronounced. By around 1500, Middle English had taken an early form of Modern English. Even though there were many changes in pronunciation, the printers of the time continued to use the old Middle English spellings. The 'k' and the 'e' in "knave" were kept, even though those letters were no longer pronounced. This is why there are a lot of inconsistent spellings in modern English.

The funniest thing I find in all of this is the word "phonics." Of all the words in the English language, you would at least expect this one to be spelled phonetically.

Fonix.

Around 1400, the pronunciation of most English long vowels was changed, in what is called the Great Vowel Shift.  Also, The 'e' at the end of words like "take" was no longer pronounced.  By around 1500, Middle English had taken an early form of Modern English.  Even though there were many changes in pronunciation, the printers of the time continued to use the old Middle English spellings.  The 'k' and the 'e' in "knave" were kept, even though those letters were no longer pronounced.  This is why there are a lot of inconsistent spellings in modern English.

The funniest thing I find in all of this is the word "phonics."  Of all the words in the English language, you would at least expect this one to be spelled phonetically.

Fonix.

Ohmigosh, this is the first time outside of the classroom I've ever heard someone discuss the Great Vowel Shift. I used to bring it up to kids in my classroom, but I think the history of the English language is fascinating.

Lazy? Nah - the island of Great Britain just got invaded too many times! Besides living in the great mixing pot named the United States - (Yes, I meant to say "mixing" and not "melting.")

So, hey - if the Spanish Armada had actually made it to England, we might be speaking a more Latin-based language than we already do!

English is a great language, I think :bow: . Try to learn German- that's way harder! ;)

Mrs. Captain Picard

English is a great language, I think  :lol: . Try to learn German- that's way harder!  ;)

Mrs. Picard,

I beg to differ. IMO, German is the most logical human language on the planet (without considering computer languages). It is extremely consistent in its word and grammar structures.

If I had not been raised an English speaker, I doubt I would have enjoyed learning it.

Aside from English and German, I have also studied French and Spanish. I find nothing to love about the so-called "romance" languages. :blink:

BTW Mrs. Picard, love your avatar. "I, Claudius" was the finest mini-series of all time. :blink:

to an infant all languages are equally complex and as easily acquired.

As adults we look at other languages from the context of the language we speak. As a native English speaker I think I would have a difficult time with a tonal language

I had a heck of a time with the der, die, das but I still have a soft spot for German - I did have a lot of German ancestors not that that would make any difference.

The old adage:

If you're going to pray speak Spanish

If you're going to make love speak French

And if you're going to yell at your dog speak German

I greatly admire anyone who speaks English as a second language.

Oh I take that as a compliment, thank you :blink:

@ edmcgon

Hm, I'm German, and I don't see any logic in our language ;) It's complicated and has so many rules. I admire anyone who speaks German as a second language. :lol: I think it's way harder than English - at least most parts are. :force:

And thanks for the avatar compliment, I love "I, Claudius" as well. Pat is so wonderful in it. :blink:

Mrs. Captain Picard

I had a Navajo roommate once - when I'd hear her talk on the phone to home I'd realize that English was her second language. Somehow that just struck me that she had to learn a "foreign" language just to survive in her own country.

I greatly admire anyone who speaks more than one language. It took me a long time to pick up Spanish, and I dont think I have the patience to attempt a third language.

Hats off to you multilinguists

:blink:

The old adage:

If you're going to pray speak Spanish

If you're going to make love speak French

And if you're going to yell at your dog speak German

:blink: