Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Is it time to go to Mars?

Should we send a manned spacecraft to Mars?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should we send a manned spacecraft to Mars?

• Yes
    • Yes, I volunteer to go!
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Other Opinion ?

I heard on the News this morning that President Bush wants to send a manned spacecraft to Mars and he wants to establish a station on the moon. What do you think of these ideas? Let's start with the Mars question first. Do you feel it's time that we landed men on Mars? Do you think that we are capable technologically to pull off such a trip?

My opinion is yes and truthfully I was really excited this morning when I heard about it. Course I'm always looking up at the stars and dreaming.

What do you all think?

It's a stupid idea we don't have the technology to do it yet and won't for many years because attempts for a self producing bio dome have proven unsuccessful. I think Bush is just attempting to stir excitement but these will never happen with in the next years, station on the moon maybe but a manned mission to mars could not occur because of the lack of space available to store mass amounts of resources such as food and water as well as equipment. So I think its stupid.

Ah, but remember, in 1961, we did not have the technology yet to go to the Moon, yet when President Kennedy challenged America to put a man on the moon, we answered the challenge in a way in which only America can. we didn't put ONE man on the Moon, we put TWELVE men on the moon.

At this time I have to say no. Excellent Mars science is happening now.

As much as I'd love to see us land people on Mars I believe in the robot sciences as a cheap EFFECTIVE way of getting science back to earth about Mars.

Everyday I watch the NASA Mars briefing on CSPAN2 and everyday I learn something about Mars I did not know before. Spirit has not even left the landing pad and already its instruments have made important discoveries about the area it sits in.

A couple of examples: It has discovered Carbonates (a tracer for past water) and soil with high concentrations of Co2 (an indicator of much higher levels of Co2 in the atmosphere in the past.)

With-in a week or so another of these marvels of modern robot technology will be (hopefully) making a landing on the opposite side of Mars and the dataflow from the red planet will double and I'll be right here in my armchair sharing in the discovery's as they happen via CSPAN and my old space buddy NASA TV.

Technology is wonderdful, and Humans are also improving on it by leaps and bounds. 100 years ago, Orvill and Wilbur Wright never would have concieved that, becasue of their invention, we have routine space travel, and we have put a man on the mars. also, the Space Shuttle is hardly the cutting edge of technology. the computer I am writing this post on has more power than the entire space shuttle's computer system. I think it is entirely possible that, within the next ten years, we could be ready to send people to mars. actually, to tell you the truth, the computer I am on, while more powerful, seems slow by comparison. (It's a PIII 550, and the newer P4 and AMD processors blow it out of the water.) also, with newer composite materials, we can build a spacecraft that is stronger and better than the Enterprise class Orbiter, all while at the same time making it lighter, if it is the same size. but before we go to Mars, I think we do need to establish some sort of a forward base, like a refueling station on the moon, because the breakaway from Earth will consume alot of fuel.

Ah, but remember, in 1961, we did not have the technology yet to go to the Moon, yet when President Kennedy challenged America to put a man on the moon, we answered the challenge in a way in which only America can. we didn't put ONE man on the Moon, we put TWELVE men on the moon.

And lots of people died because improper testing and maintence and if an accident should occur it would greatly damage the space program as people are a lot more used to successful space mission rather then fatal failures.

I think this is just Bush trying to get some more popularity after all the flak he has recieved over the war with Iraq. It would be nice to have men on mars but I dont think it should be rushed just to make a politician more popular, perhaps when we have developed our space technologies some more....

It's technologically difficult, uses massive resources, and will give no more scientific

information than unmanned missions.

We have to go! It's the human spirit. Humans have never been content to stay where they are. Without exploration, we languish, and we die.

I truly believe that we sould try to build a station on the moon, so at least the communication with the mars probes will be easier at times.

this would come at the expense of the Space Shuttle Program and the ISS Program in the US being aborted.

:dude: Why am I reminded of kids who prefer playing with the box instead of the toys that came in it... What a waste of money this is, imo.

I think going to the moon and building a base on it would be the first step. If we can’t build a base on the moon then we are not going to be able to go to Mars. It would be a good test run and we would learn a lot about long term missions.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I vote NO.

My reasons:

People have estimted that sending men to mars could cost at least $500 billion.

And that's on the low end.

The two (as in both) the mars rovers entire mission is about $600 million.

That means we could send about 1,700 rovers for the same cost as one mars mission.

I say skip the mars and moon programs and go for cheap unmanned missions. We will learn volumes more and we could send out probes with super-high resolution 3D cameras to see the sights of the solar sytem. Then you go to your nearest 3D movie theater and do a closeup flyby of Saturn's Rings for 8 bucks plus the cost of popcorn.

Sounds like a superior deal to me!

I was just there last week, sure would have liked some company, come on u guys get your butts up here! No seriously, we could have gone to mars n 1965, Saturn by 1970-research it-Project Orion, Project Daedalus, NERVA(Nuclear Engine for Rocket Vehicle Application), VASIMR(Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket)! Let's Go! :)

In My opinion,I don't think we have the tecnology to Mars. And i believe that we have better things to spend our tax dollars on than going to Mars..We already spent billions on the first two probes that crashed.Now Bush says he is going to send us back to the Moon.Why? To pick up the trash that we left up there the last couple of times..

Back to Mars..I think instead we should focus on Peace for Earth first or get a coalition of Countries(like England,Canada,Russia and others) to help with the cost of going and developing the tecnology

Mars go for it! I don't think it is a matter of having the technologies. I think it's a matter of having the reason to invent the technologies. Moon Base I agree would be a vital first step in learning what exactly it will take to get to Mars and stay there. Sure it will cost money, eeverything does but it will also be a way to make money as well. I mean look NASA already puts satilites up for a lovely fee, not to mention they'll fly youor creamated remains up there as well for a nice fee. So yeah I think we can do it. It will take some time though. :)

I voted not sure but I think AE and Xeroc have stated it pretty well. We can get more knowledge for the money with unmanned flights for the time being. And those that said this was a political ploy - I agree.

Besides, a handful of people in confined quarters for several years. That's way beyond technology - we may develop the technology to land the ship but the crew would drive themselves crazy.

I voted not sure but I think AE and Xeroc have stated it pretty well.  We can get more knowledge for the money with unmanned flights for the time being.  And those that said this was a political ploy - I agree.

Besides, a handful of people in confined quarters for several years.  That's way beyond technology  - we may develop the technology to land the ship but the crew would drive themselves crazy.

TUH,

Actually, astronauts driving each other crazy is not much of a possibility.

The Soviets developed (and NASA later adopted) the practice of having astronauts/cosmonauts spending long periods of time in seclusion together on Earth BEFORE they ever go into space. This way any potential personality conflicts or problems will show up long before they ever get into space.

Regarding the issue of it being a policitcal ploy, I think it has more to do with the Chinese going to the moon than politics. The idea of the Chinese potentially setting up a moon base with nukes has the military worried.

It's an easy thing to say this is a political ploy but the truth of the matter is that as a political matter it would be a risky move at best. Plus where is the political gain for this President? None of the things outlined will happen during this term or his next term if he wins re-election.

I believe that if we don't prepare now then we're being negligent to the future. We have to start now on the designing and building of the ships needed to go to Mars. We need to work now on the ability to live away from Earth for extended periods of time, otherwise when the time comes to actually go we won't be ready and we'll need another 20 years or so to begin building ships and habitats.

Are we ready to go right now? No, should we go right now? No, we aren't ready to. Now is the time though to begin getting ready.

In my view it is just really shortsighted to say "We aren't ready now so we should focus on other things". If we don't focus on it now, then when?

It's not political, just long term thinking.

I support the idea of going to mars buy I think in reality that we just can't do that with our type of Technology. NASA is slowing down First Contact!!!!!!!!