Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Me on Entertainment Tonight (sort of)

Ok, let me kind of set the stage here. I was going through some old Betamax tapes and have been converting some of them to DVD. I came across one that didn't have a label on it, so I popped it into the machine and started it playing (and recording to DVD). When I checked it later, I discovered that a segment of Entertainment Tonight was near the end of the tape.

\As I watched the segment it occurred to me exactly what it was. It was from the summer of 1987, I believe late June. A local movie theater was playing a 22 episode marathon of Cagney & Lacy episodes, one after the other, all night and it was free to the public.

That theater was the AMC Academy 8 Theatre, at Beltway Plaza in Greenbelt, Maryland. I just happened to work at that theater in the summer of 1987, fresh out of High School yet about a year before I joined the Army. I also just happened to volunteer to work for that entire marathon, so I wound up working for about 24 hours straight that day. I may have fallen shy of 24 straight hours by 30 to 45 minutes.

A local radio station called in and interviewed me and, as you can see below, Entertainment Tonight came and did a story on it as well. I'm in the video, though you can never quite see my face. Before you hit play, you can see me in the still frame below with my back to the camera.

I can be seen a couple of other times, but only a hand or in one case, my nose lol.

I had completely forgotten that they did this story and that I had (partially) been on Entertainment Tonight... Until I just re-discovered it.

Pretty cool (for me, anyway).

3 hours ago, A l t e r E g o said:

Great Nose! About time it got the recognition it deserved.

lol Yeah, I agree. You know, I actually still have the pay stub from that week? I worked something like 98 hours (though that may have been a 2 week period, I forget if we got paid weekly or bi-weekly). You'd think that 98 hours was a big pay check, but I believe it was under $300 after taxes. I'll have to dig the pay stub out, but minimum wage in 1987 was $3.35 an hour.

To tell the truth, I'd probably have worked that job for free lol.

I believe it, I was alive then too. What I can't believe is how worthless money has become. 

A Cagney and Lacy marathon on the big screen, eh? I didn't' know they had those back then. An early version of Fathom Events