Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

What movies should NOT be remade

Some movies are just part of the times they were made and artistically and/or culturally it just seems wrong to do a remake. What movies do you think deserve the reverential treatment because they are classics.

Here's a few to to get started

Casablanca

Citizen Kane

Star Wars

Gone With the Wind

The Day the Earth Stood Still

I definitely agree with Casablanca, Citizen Kane and Jaws. I'll also throw in all of the Star Trek movies should never be re-made.

I was just talking about this with some friends of mine. The movie that should not be remade because you can't remake perfection is Monty Phthon and the holiy grail and that is not ment to be a joke.

I was just talking about this with some friends of mine.  The movie that should not be remade because you can't remake perfection is Monty Phthon and the holiy grail and that is not ment to be a joke.

Fred, you are on to something here. Comedy cannot be remade. In order to remake a comedy, you really have to make a lot of changes to make it "new". By doing so, you run the very strong risk of losing a lot of what made the original funny.

"Monty Python & the Holy Grail" is a great example. How could you remake that? Part of its charm was the running gag of it being a low budget film.

Most dramas can be remade and improved (whether they do get improved in a remake is another issue).

Here are a few personal classics...

Tron

Forbidden Planet (A Definate Classic!!!)

The Shawshank Redemption

Enemy Mine

Already a lot of greats on this list!!!

Gone with the Wind. They would probably get some bimbo to play Scarlett and the flavor of the month to play Rhett. I just couldn't bear to watch a remake of that. It would be too painful. There are just some classic movies that it would just be foolish to try to remake. I'll have to think on this a little more...

Casablanca

Citizen Kane

Star Wars

Gone With the Wind

The Day the Earth Stood Still

add Indiana jones

LOTR(yes LOTR)

I think the three movies that shouldn't be remade are:

• Forbidden Planet
  • Logan's Run
  • Sleeper

doctorwho42avenger@hotmail.com

Commander John J. Adams: About a million years from now the human race will crawl up to where the Krell once stood in their great moment of triumph and tragedy. And your father's name will shine again, like a beacon in the galaxy. [...] it will remind us that we're after all not God.

Adams's closing speech to Altaira aboard the cruiser (Forbidden Planet [1957])

ONE FILM THEY SHOULD NEVER REMAKE IS

"SUPERMAN"

IT WOULD BE-LITTLE CHRISTOPHER REEVE!!!!

THE ONE AND ONLY SUPERMAN.

ONE FILM THEY SHOULD NEVER REMAKE IS

"SUPERMAN"

IT WOULD BE-LITTLE CHRISTOPHER REEVE!!!!

THE ONE AND ONLY SUPERMAN.

I guess you won't be seeing Superman in 2006 then, eh?

Personally, I'm glad they're remaking Superman. They made Clark Kent a clutz and Lex Luther a goof ball in the Reeves movies.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Personally, I'm glad they're remaking Superman. They made Clark Kent a clutz and Lex Luther a goof ball in the Reeves movies.

I agree with you about Luthor, a new film could do allot to realign this character towards what we've seen in Smallville (unless Luthors goofiness in the future is a long term side effect of the kryoptnite in his brain :unsure: ) but Clark being a klutz was part of his disguise.

I forgot to add Blade runner to my list

That movie is just classic

I totally agree that Blade Runner should not be remade..

I would also like to add The Excorsist, and The Omen to the list.

IMO they are the best horror movies ever made!

I think the three movies that shouldn't be remade are:

•  

• Forbidden Planet

• Logan's Run

• Sleeper

doctorwho42avenger@hotmail.com

Commander John J. Adams: About a million years from now the human race will crawl up to where the Krell once stood in their great moment of triumph and tragedy. And your father's name will shine again, like a beacon in the galaxy. [...] it will remind us that we're after all not God.

Adams's closing speech to Altaira aboard the cruiser (Forbidden Planet [1957])

FYI, Logan's Run is on the drawing boards for a remake....

I think George Lucas is a Genious- But he keeps adding to the Original Three Star Wars movies and its getting me annoyed

Also wasn't the student film of THX and THX(remade) the best ? I'm sure those would suck as a remake

Even though I love all the original movies mentioned I think all are remakeable. Take away ego and profit find the right stars the right chemistry and bingo.

Robocop

Mighty Ducks

and sports movie that deals with a group of kids

Any move before 1990

That covers them.

I think pretty much any film that is viewed as a masterpiece should be left alone. Gus Van Sant found that out when he decided to remake Psycho. It was a huge flop, and fans of Hitchcock rightly panned it as inferior. The mid-70's remake of King Kong was a terrible film, although I did like Jessica Lang. The new Planet of the Apes was unwatchable in my opinion. The new Texas Chainsaw Massacre was idiotic, while the oroginal was a horror masterpiece thanks to the genius of Tobe Hooper.

To my mind there are only really two examples of remakes that were just as good or better then the original:

The Thing (1982) Dir: John Carpenter.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) Dir: Francis Ford Copella

In truth I'm really tired of how Hollywood seems to have utterly run out of ideas. Do we really need a film based on The Dukes of Hazzard? It really sends a bad message to Hollywood when a lousy film succeeds...I understand we might al have to suffer "Scooby Doo 3". As for Blade Runner, I have seen it convincingly argued that Ridley Scott's film, while cetainly a great film is essentially a remake of Fritz Lang's 1925 classic Metropolis. The similarities are uncanny...

Peter Rabbit ,

Jemima Puddle Duck ,

Wind in the Willows ,

The Adventures of Toad ,

The Adventures of Robbin Hood ,

Oliver ,

Grease ,

Annie ,

Mary Poppins ,

The Never Ending Story 1 & 2 ,

Star Trek: Nemesis

Airplane! 1 & 2 ,

E.T. ,

Forbidden Planet ,

Ghostbusters ,

The King and I ,

The Railway Children ,

West Side Story ,

Bugsy Malone ,

The Wizard of Oz ,

La Fedé ma Gardé ,

Coppelia ,

oh ok I think I've listed enough! B)

I didn't want George Romero's original Night of the Living Dead to be remade,because the film was so iconic,and so well acted (especially by Duane Jones).

Not just a horror film,NOTLD dealt with racism,and lots of issues which were taboo in the 1960s.

But,I have to say that Tony Todd nailed his performance in the role made famous by Duane Jones.And I usually like anything Patricia Tallman is in,since she's an awesome actor as well.

I suppose I'd hate to see classic religious films like The Ten Commandments or King of Kings remade,UNLESS...they are remade by a Christian production company.Secular studios wouldn't do justice to these films,and would probably throw in a lot of things which would be offensive to Christians.

I didn't want George Romero's original Night of the Living Dead to be remade,because the film was so iconic,and so well acted (especially by Duane Jones).

Not just a horror film,NOTLD dealt with racism,and lots of issues which were taboo in the 1960s.

But,I have to say that Tony Todd nailed his performance in the role made famous by Duane Jones.And I usually like anything Patricia Tallman is in,since she's an awesome actor as well.

I suppose I'd hate to see classic religious films like The Ten Commandments or King of Kings remade,UNLESS...they are remade by a Christian production company.Secular studios wouldn't do justice to these films,and would probably throw in a lot of things which would be offensive to Christians.

349058[/snapback]

Disclaimer: Validus is not trying to turn this thread into a religious debate.

I can't say that I agree with that. Mel Gibson, an ardent Christian if ever there was one, botched the Jesus myth by taking great liberties with the Gospels. You can't blame a "secular studeo" for that. Cecil B. Demille, who made the 10 Commandments (twice actually) was a Jew, so any weakness in it cannot be blamed on the studio for the same reasons...he had carte blanche.

Enemy Mine. I just saw it again lot too long ago, and, despite the fact that the openning battle scene was horrible ( :blink: ), the rest of the movie is simply perfect the way it is. There's no reason to change it at all.