Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Uncertainty Principal

What do you think about the Uncertainty Principal?

One of the issues that we looked a bit at in Star Trek & Physics Weekly is this principal. It is very deeply connected into quantum mechanics and as a result will be tied into quantum gravity.

Of course we have had this principal for a long time now and still there is the sense of uneasiness with it (and this shows how far we still have to go to understand quantum mechanics and something like quantum gravity).

My question to everyone is how do you feel with this principal?

Do you agree with it, will it be replaced in the future, is there something else that explains this principal and will replace it, . . . .?

What do you think Yillara_Soong & Xeroc?

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I am sure as time goes on and science makes advancements that a new way to determine the uncertainty principle with be derived. I do not think we will ever be rid of that principle, as even as we get more precise we will always have uncertainty. And I agree that it does cause uneasiness in people, many of my classmates complained about the difficulties of figuring out the uncertainty, or even what variables to place in it.

I am sure as time goes on and science makes advancements that a new way to determine the uncertainty principle with be derived. I do not think we will ever be rid of that principle, as even as we get more precise we will always have uncertainty. And I agree that it does cause uneasiness in people, many of my classmates complained about the difficulties of figuring out the uncertainty, or even what variables to place in it.

I agree.

I remember from the official ST boards one person was taking this principal very radically.

Only doing the math for example sometimes gives an incomplete picture. Even in something like and as simple as classical mechanics. The mathematics is covered in calc and its logic for velocity to acceleration (derivatives! and so on). But if you look at some truly unique conceptual problems, then that mathematician who is only worried about the math is going to have problems. Quantum mechanics is a good example of that. Not just for the math, but the concept it self. Quantum mechanics is hard sub-subject in physics

Master Q

From my own days in physics classes I seem to remember this topic being discussed in depth. One of the things that I remember about it is that if we could actually see an atom, the electrons don't necessarily follow a set orbit or pattern like a planetary system, which seems to be the most common perception. The electrons move so fast and in such an irregular orbit or pattern that if we could actually see an object that small, it would appear more like a cloud around the nucleus. This, I believe, is what the uncertainty principle trys to address. How anyone could calculate where the electrons of the atom would be at any given time in a 360 degree range is as close to impossible as can be. I would have to agree with the venerable Arthur C. Clarke on this one and say that because of this uncertainty, a transporter like device may possibly never be invented. Notice I used the word, "may". I still have faith in humanity to able tackle and solve just about any problem but this one could be beyond us.

Hi xenexian! It is good to see you.

One funny thing is that because quantum mechanics is so confusing and thus people misinterpret it so much is that when a group and myself were working on a lab and to the fact tat because almost everyone had there own idea on how the quantum world works everyone had a different interpretation of the lab! So in fact most people it seems even if you study it and remember and the facts don’t seem to understand it. I myself have had misconnections about it, but I think I cleared them up (and luckily I had them correct in the lab, but I did have a some facts wrong . . . and hopefully I cleared those wrong facts up). But like I said quantum mechancis is not easy and it has been said if you have not had troubles trying to understand it, then you have not understood it in the first place (which is very true)

Master Q

I think this has to deal with the very foundation of space-time and the core structure of the universe. (And quite possibly spirituality too!)

I think that there might very well be a sort of universe-wide connectivity (which, as the name implies, connects anything to everything) which makes the entire universe like a super-network. If you could tap into this network, it would be essentially be becoming one with the universe, and through this you would know everything about the universe and be able to completely control the universe. This actually sounds a lot like God or Q to me. This connectivity - because you are the universe - would allow you to know anything and everything about the universe. This, I believe is the only way we could ever bypass the uncertainty principal.

Thoughts?