Star Trek: The Animated Series

#16 The Jihad

Ji1.jpg

Written by: Stephen Kandel

Directed by: Hal Sutherland

Airdate: Jan. 12, 1974

Stardate: 5683.1

Synopsis

Kirk and Spock join a party of aliens to search for and recover a priceless artifact, the loss of which may cause a galactic holy war; but they soon learn that one of the party is a saboteur.

Ji04.jpg

Guest Characters:

Tchar James Doohan

Sord James Doohan

Em/3/Green David Gerrold

Lara Majel Barrett

Vedalan Majel Barrett

Ji07.jpg

Notes:

Jihad is an Arabic word which means holy war.

This episode's author Stephen Kandel wrote another animated STAR TREK episode "Mudd's Passion". He also wrote the two Harry Mudd episodes of the Original STAR TREK series, "Mudd's Women" and "I, Mudd."

The character of Tchar was an eight-foot tall birdlike alien who was shown flying in the episode. Tchar would have been impossible to do in a live action series, as written. This is a good example of the animated STAR TREK series being able to show us interesting non-humanoid aliens.

Ji03.jpg

Four starships were seen in orbit of Vedala. The ships were drawings reused from "The Time Trap." The ships presumably belonged to Tchar, Sord, Lara and Em/3/Green.

Ji02.jpg

That was a great episode! I enjoy the idea behind it.

I'm a big fan of TAS and one of my favroite sites is: http://www.startrekanimated.com . You can find anything on TAS there....

even listen to the episodes on line.

Yesteryear, is probably the best of the episodes made. :dude:

I haven’t seen any of the TAS series and it appears that you have seen all of it (or much of it). I’m interested in hearing your take on TAS - What makes TAS so special? How does the episodes compare (in storyline, chemistry, ...)?

Thanks for the link and welcome to StarTrekFans.net

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

That was a great episode! I enjoy the idea behind it.

I'm a big fan of TAS and one of my favroite sites is: http://www.startrekanimated.com . You can find anything on TAS there....

even listen to the episodes on line.

Yesteryear, is probably the best of the episodes made. :dude:

I haven’t seen any of the TAS series and it appears that you have seen all of it (or much of it). I’m interested in hearing your take on TAS - What makes TAS so special? How does the episodes compare (in storyline, chemistry, ...)?

Thanks for the link and welcome to StarTrekFans.net

Master Q

I watched all of TAS when they were first broadcast on TV. It's been too long since I've seen them so I really can't remember what made them special. Well, I do have 1 thought. At the time they were the only new Trek available for us! It was broadcast in the void between the end of TOS and the release of ST:TMP..All we had back then was Fan Fiction, Books and dreams of Star Trek returning. It also was before the Internet as we know it! Sounds like the dark ages compared to today doesn't it? We have so many different Treks to choose from now. 10 Theatrical movies and 5 TV series and we even have a new Trek series to support!..We are so lucky..I just hope it can continue..

I would love to be able to watch TAS again. I know they aren't on DVD, but are they available in another form somewhere?

Yeah I would imagine that it felt special for being the only Star Trek out there

And no internet? [MQ runs around screaming :laugh: ]

Master Q