Sign in to follow this  
Tench745

Why Star Trek?

What is it about Star Trek that makes us love it? Could it be the well developed storylines? The fact that it is all military related? It's possible that it could be the physically possible technology. Why do you like Star Trek? I am not sure why I do.

Here's a list of elements, in no specific order, that made me a Star Trek fan.

Space ships that weren't flying saucers. :)

Aliens who weren't monsters. :lol:

Believable technology instead of usual stuff like "ray guns".

Sci-fi with a very serious tone and not afriad to poke fun at itself.

One of the few shows on TV that doesn't have to worry about "ending". All you need is a new ship or space station and a new crew. :)

That's all I can think of for now. :santa:

Oh, I forgot, while I'm not into the military, I love how Starfleet is a NAVY/NASA hybrid. They aren't just "soldies in space with big guns", but have actual missions, colonise worlds, explore nebulas and alien cultures, and so forth.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Ok, they might have saucer sections, but as a whole, the ships in any star trek series are much unlike a flying saucer. Flying saucers were riducluous. Where were the engines in those things? The were just silly. The ships in Star Trek have diffenent sections, visible engines etc. One section shaped like a disk doesn't make the enterprise a flying saucer.. I don't think.

I like Star Trek for the science fiction,

The technology,

The characters and their ideals,

and well, just about everything else about Star Trek.

Flying saucers were riducluous.  Where were the engines in those things?

Perhaps the technology of those inside the "flying saucers" is so far advanced that they don't need engines :)

Edited by Big_Steve

I like Trek because I liked SciFi (good scifi) - I like science and adventure but ST is more. Trek presents a view of the future where people have overcome much of petty human nature and strive for excellence in their lives. The enjoy the pursuit of knowledge, scientific discovery etc because they enjoy learning. What a rare concept in comtemporary America (don't know about other countries). I like the fact that Star Fleet officers live by principles and I've been a little disturbed by people that want to make the characters less honorable. I'm not sure I've understood what they meant.

I think it can be best summed up by the Neve Campbell character's statement to Tom Paris when they visited 20th century Earth. "You're different than the other guys I know, you care about something other than your own little life"

I like Star Trek for all the reasons that have been already mentioned. But probably what does it for me is how the future is portrayed. Such a wonderful optimistic future! Sure there are villains, wars and bad things happen. But we're there too. And we have gotten over our hangups, our prejudices and our greed..And what a wonderful future Star Trek does portray of us!!

Hi there and Merry Christmas from Australia!! :dude:

I love Star Trek for these reasons:

1. The world of Star Trek has women (and not just men) in high ranking positions, such as Captain.

2. Several different races of aliens, including humans, are able to work together successfully. I like the fact that Star Trek is very mulicultural, not only with different races within the human species but with other aliens aswell. Its also great to see that Tuvok (from Voyager) in a dark skinned Vulcan. Its like multiculturalism within multiculturalism (if that makes any sense!!)

3. It doesn't matter how far fetched something may seem in Star Trek, its the 24th century so anything is possible. However, most of the technology is based on real science, so it isn't so far fetched when you think about it. I really like the medical technology, such as hyposprays that can cure almost any illness and dermal generators. Replicators, transporters and holodecks are another reason why I love Star Trek so much.

4. The storylines cover many different issues and while they are mostly positive, some are quite contraversial. They also deal with issues that relate to everyday life - even though the characters are living in the 24th century, they still have to tackle challenges that we encounter today.

5. Star Trek has starships that can travel at warp speed and they can go anywhere in the universe (or multiverse). I also like the fact that in the 24th century, people are living on several planets in our solar system and on other planets in other solar systems too. They have even inhabited moons so its good to know that in 300 years, there will be no shortage of places to live!

Madam Captain out!!

I was thinking something similar to what spacetigger posted - the sheer optimism of that future, and the adventures of exploration. That and the technologies - nothing wrong with stuff to make it easier to be lazy :dude: (guess I wont be getting that replicator for my birthday :dude: ).

I guess I just love the idea of that whole living-and-working-on-an-incredible-looking-starship lifestyle.

You are right, it is easier to be lazy in the 24th century. Transporters are a good example of technology that makes people very lazy on starships (and space stations). I also love the fact that replicators not only produce objects and food instantaneously but they recycle stuff too.

Madam Captain out!!

There are many reasons why I love Star Trek but I think the most important one is that it is a show based in the future that involves everyday problems.

Also one important thing is of course the optimistic way of seeing mankinds future.

I was referring to all of the Star trek series, but I was saying that The NX-01 Entrprise is almost exactly a flying saucer.

OIC, yes, that's one thing I love about NX-01 Enterprise. It's a "flying saucer" kind of ship without being a plain saucer, along with the traditional "engines" and such aft of the main hull.

Furthermore, on why I like Trek: I'd have to say it's the basic idea of people in the future, explorring the galaxy on a high-tech starship idea. I think it's magnificant, and an excellent way to do wonderrous sci-fi stories. That's why I don't want to see heavy arcs in Trek if we have a ship setting, I'd rather have stand alones. I'm not opposed to heavy arcs as I loved DS9, I just think that if they're on a ship, it should be more of an episodic format with TNG & VOY-style arcs.

I like Star Trek for many of the reasons given above. UH pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I also like Star Trek because each episode has a message that can be found in situations seen today, such as racisum,hate, and intolerence. We all have things to learn while watching Star Trek.

i like the fact that a whole universe has been created; and just by using your imagination you can add to it too.

I think it can be best summed up by the Neve Campbell character's statement to Tom Paris when they visited 20th century Earth.  "You're different than the other guys I know, you care about something other than your own little life"

What Voyager episode was Neve Campbell in?

I think it can be best summed up by the Neve Campbell character's statement to Tom Paris when they visited 20th century Earth.  "You're different than the other guys I know, you care about something other than your own little life"

What Voyager episode was Neve Campbell in?

Apparently I have mistaken the actresses but I was certain at the time they had said it was Neve Campbell. Anyway the episode was Future's End (I&II)

I think that was Sara Silverman or something similar. In alot of tv/movies and does look a little like Neve.

It's not my first reason for liking Trek but I care for it because many don't. They have their "shows" (total crap) and I have mine. That may be totally illogical but it is a reason, you know what I mean?

I think one reason I like Star Trek is because my dad always had my family watch TNG when it was on. We'd order pizza, make milk-shakes, and watch TV as a family. My dad wasn't home very often, so it was one of the few fun things we did together. So, I always associated Star Trek with fun.

Now that I think about it, that's probably one reason for me as well. TNG was family time. I even once remember turning a couple of friends away at the door 'cause we were all getting ready to watch a new ep. (I could always hang out w/ 'em the next day B) )

I have to say that for me, it's the storylines. I also love the well developed characters. Their personalities are very evident in all episodes.

I like Star Trek for all the reasons that have been already mentioned. But probably what does it for me is how the future is portrayed. Such a wonderful optimistic future! Sure there are villains, wars and bad things happen. But we're there too. And we have gotten over our hangups, our prejudices and our greed..And what a wonderful future Star Trek does portray of us!!

That pretty much sums it up for me also. Plus I love a good space battle!

I have been a Star Trek fan since it's onset TOS. I remember when it first hit the air waves.........For me the fact that it is a series set way in the future; and that it has the elements of space and lots of technology.......these factors have very little to do with why it is so important to me......Star Trek has won my heart because it has brought together people from so many cultures. And has showed how they can work, live and play together in peace and harmony. It was the first program that I can remember that gave minorities TV roles that in my opinion were respectful. Each one of its series has continued to promote the coming together of different cultures. Each series still promotes peace, equality, respect, and resolving problems. I love the stories, the characters. The actors have been great......Long live Star Trek!!!!! B)