Sign in to follow this  
Gotabite

Favorite Christmas Memories

Being that Christmas is almost upon us, I bet many like myself are reflecting back on special Christmas memories.........I was wondering if we could share some of them..........For me Christmas hasn't been the same since my Father passed, and more recently since my mother became ill.......Yes, I have my son, and a special someone too......But memories from my childhood when my sisters and I, still clad in our pajamas, rushed into the den on Christmas morning to see what "Santa" had left during the night............This will always be a fresh memory in my mind............The live Christmas tree that Dad always waited until the last moment to decorate..........the simplicity of the times, and just, recalling what great pains were taken to make us happy and make it a family event...........These are memories I will forever cherish. <_<

I just cherish it when I was younger and still believed in Santa Clause. It made Christmas so much more magical. It was always so amazing. I still love Christmas, but I never seem to forget how magical it used to be when I had the mind of a child.

I just cherish it when I was younger and still believed in Santa Clause. It made Christmas so much more magical. It was always so amazing. I still love Christmas, but I never seem to forget how magical it used to be when I had the mind of a child.

Ditto!!

i miss the christmases from my childhood as well. i loved going over to grams house the huge tree, and all the family. i loved it, and i miss it. every year since 1988 has also been a good christmas, after my early childhood, my christmases at home werent all that spectacular for a few reasons, and lisa made all of them great since we've been together, this year were still spending christmas togther, but it wont be the same, and if we dont make it, but i have the memories. i also hope to find somehow to enjoy christmas from here after, im sure i will.

Yes my own childhood Christmas memories are great but I have to say the best Christmases were the years when both our kids

[seperated by 10 years] did the 'waiting up for Santa' bit, try as they might they

somehow could never stay awake long enough to see him. :)

I don't really have any happy childhood memories of Christmas. It happens - many people have had far worse experiences.

As an adult I have spent Christmas with a lot of people over the years - roommates would bring me home; there would be church dinners for singles etc. Some Christmasses I have spent alone. I was trying today to remember if any one was any different and I thought about this.

I don't remember the exact year but I had spent Christmas day with a roommate's family. That evening we volunteered to go to the home of a friend of her family's. This young couple had just had twins a couple of days before Christmas and both were exhausted from caring for the new little ones. These were tiny babies - less than five pounds. My roommie and I each claimed our little charge and the couple went off for a much needed night's rest. It was quite cold - a lot of snow on the ground and the little ones needed to stay warm - I don't know how much I slept because I got up several times to tend to "my" little charge.

I never saw the little ones after that - I heard some updates at first then they moved to another state and then I did. I still remember my little guy's name. They are probably in their late teens now but ever so often I remember tending that teeny little baby on that cold Christmas night.

I remember one Christmas when the four older children conspired to keep the youngest one believing in Santa Claus for one more Christmas. I can't remember the year it was, just that he was old enough to no longer believe, and all his friends had teased him mercilessly for still believing. We were trying to think of how to convince him to hold onto his belief, and even had a scheme where we were going to wake him in the middle of the night and show him Santa's sled speeding away. We were going to hang a mobile-like image in the window and keep him at a distance, just let him get a glimpse. It was a really dumb scheme! Of course we did not successfully carry it out----we did not even wake up! But because his siblings insisted that Santa really did come, my youngest brother had one more expectant Christmas. He tended to believe us more than his friends. Afterwards, someone, probably Mom or dad, told him the truth, and the all of us were moved into the real world of giving. The fantasy was over for all of us.

Favorite Christmas?

Had to be the year we spent it in Northern Michigan.

Skiing and sledding, but no Christmas tree. This was the last time we were all together as kids, before my much older brother moved away to get his graduate degree. :waaaa:

Like a lot of people, my favorite Christmases were the ones from when I was young enough to still believe in Santa and before my parents' divorce. I remember one year my sister, like most little girls do at some point in their lives, asked for a pony for Christmas. In the morning she was up at... it was probably around six or something, shouting "it came it came!" My parents had gotten her a rather large rocking horse, since our yard was far too small to fit anything bigger than a small dog. That was a very special Christmas. Unfortunately, Christmas does not feel the same anymore, partly the normal growing up of kids, and mostly because of my parents' divorce.

Christmas for me growing up was never a big deal for me. My family always did the big Christmas especially after my youngest brother, still older than me though, got a good paying job. I just always felt that it was being done more for show than any other reason. The one Christmas that stands out as being different is when my oldest brother spent Christmas with us after he had been out of our lives for several years. As always there ended up being a huge fight, but the fact that my oldest brother and my father just took me off to the side and made sure that I was kept out of it, made me feel better than any other year because I was finally being pulled away from the fighting that happens at my family home every holiday.

For several years after I moved away from home I did not go back for holidays. The last couple years I have made it a point to be there to try to mend some of the rift that has developed between me and my youngest brother and to be there to help my dad pull my niece and nephews aside in the event that my brother and his wife start fighting again, so that they can know that they have someone that does not want them to have to see that on Christmas.

Last year was a great Christmas memory!! Starting with five days before, my little niece was born into the world on December 20, 2004 at about 4:35 AM EST. And having her at our house on Christmas day is a day I soon will not forget!!!

And this year will be great too!! Being as she is now 1 year old today (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :assimilated: ) and her being here enjoying Christmas will be wonderful!!!!

Edited by Yillara_Skye

i have three that i want to share.

one of my favorites happened four years ago. we were living in house that we were renting. we had one that we were getting remodeled. we expected to be moved in by christmas so we got our tree and put it up in that house. well we didn't get moved in by christmas so on christmas morning we woke up and drove over to the house that was getting worked on. it was kind of weird. it made for a few good laughs too. i probably won't forget that one.

another memory was when i was younger and it was just me and my sister whose a year younger. have the christmas tree had ghostbuster stuff underneath and the other half had my sister's care bears stuff. that was cool.

one last one. was the year went outside on christmas and found a barbie in her box on the ground in the backyard. my sister and i got excited saying santa dropped it from the sleigh.

tm :assimilated: