Sign in to follow this  
removed

Time Travel

It's taken me a few days to read through all of this. But it was very interesting. Is this still a discussion on time travel? Heh.

I used to think about time travel a lot. At one time, I wrote down all of my theories, but I don't know where they are now. Most of them contradicted each other, anyway. 0.o

Here's the current one: Time travel is, most likely, impossible. Because the present is the present, and there is nothing but the present. There is no past, there is no future. There are things that happened in the past that we remember, and things that will happen in the future, but the future and the past... don't really exist. All that exists is the present, the now. Once a second goes by, you can never go back to that second. It's like blowing up a building. Once it's gone, it's gone, and you can't go up the the eleventh story anymore.

Anyway, I'll probably believe something different tomorrow. ^-^;;

I have two questions though, if anyone wants to answer them.

1. Say we have space craft that can travel near the speed of light. Not at the speed of light and not faster, but near. Say about .9c. That's pretty close. Time slows down the closer you get to c. So, you take this craft and fly in it at .9c for a long time while many many years pass by outside. You finish your flight and slow down and go back down to Earth. You yourself haven't aged very much, but Earth and the people on it have. Do I have this right? Could this happen? And if so, would it be considered time travel?

2. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, right? What about this? You have a turntable and a laser attached to the end shining out at some distant mountains. There is a little red spot on those mountains... that's the laser light. Now you spin the turn table. The spot travels faster than the laser on the turn table because it's farther out and has to cover more distance in the same amount of time. Say that the mountains are so far away, that the spot would have to travel faster than the speed of light. Is this possible?

For #1:Yes, that is right - traveling near the speed of light causes time dialation, but that is not time travel. (If I remember correctly, it is actually the acceleration and deceleration to and from the near-lightspeed speed that generates the dialation)

For #2:The spot might appear to travel faster than the speed of light, but the spot is not an actual object. It would just be an illusion.

thxs 4 replay u truly are the data of these forum

ok how about this question u know when your in a plane or train that travels say 400mph and your walk up or down the plane or train (inside of course ;) ) at say 1mph u are actually travelling at 401mph and this way it is alot easily to travel at 401mph then to get out and run, now using this theory couldn't we adopt the same kind of method for space travel? (or cheating 2 get to light speed using a hell of a lot ships in ships)

...........................maybe i just being stupid again ;)

thxs 4 replay u truly are the data of these forum

ok how about this question u know when your in a plane or train that travels say 400mph and your walk up or down the plane or train (inside of course  ;) ) at say 1mph u are actually travelling at 401mph and this way it is alot easily to travel at 401mph then to get out  and run, now using this theory couldn't we adopt the same kind of method for space travel? (or cheating 2 get to light speed using a hell of a lot ships in ships)

...........................maybe i just being stupid again  ;)

Because we are really now getting off of the topic of time travel and more into a topic of “FTL” I’m going to make a new topic about this and address this there. If thats all right

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

From the set or rules that relativity lays out you can not travel back in time before the “time machine” was created. (Relativity prevents this)

If you would like me to elaborate more, then please say so. (I'll be more then happy to)

Master Q

First of all, I will merge this with the previous Time Travel Thread, and any other comments should be made there.

Also, I think for most time machines - like wormholes - you cannot travel any farther back than when it was created. Theoretically, if time is a dimension - and similar to a space dimension, you could step out of the timeline into a "timeless" exterior realm. This would allow you to travel to any point in time where (or more accurately when) the universe existed.

Time travel to the future would also have to be possible if travel to the past was, because time would have to be understood as a constant; which means that all of time past, present and future exists all at once. B)

Ktrek

These have always been my thoughts as well.

This subject as always fascinated me. B) I much prefer this subject to space travel...it's mind blowing.

Time travel would be dangerous if it got into the wrong hands, on the other hand I would love to go back just to be an observer. You could rewrite history as it really was.

...on the other hand I would love to go back just to be an observer. You could rewrite history as it really was.

Unless time falls under "Resetable Time":

4. Resetable Time - When you travel back in time, you "reset" the future - all the decisions and chance events reset. So, for instance, you travel back to World War II to historically observe it, right? To you great amazement Germany Wins! This could happen because the decisions of the pilots and troops and commanders are reset and perhaps this time Germany fights better! This is obviousy really bad! Time travel is very dangerous!

Then even observing could drastically alter the timeline!

...on the other hand I would love to go back just to be an observer. You could rewrite history as it really was.

4. Resetable Time - When you travel back in time, you "reset" the future - all the decisions and chance events reset. So, for instance, you travel back to World War II to historically observe it, right? To you great amazement Germany Wins! This could happen because the decisions of the pilots and troops and commanders are reset and perhaps this time Germany fights better! This is obviousy really bad! Time travel is very dangerous!

Where did you find Resetable Time ? Is that your theory?

Where did you find Resetable Time ? Is that your theory?

It is just one of the many concepts I posted here. I did not invent them.

Are we getting into parallel universes now ? How do we know the Germans they didn't win in the alternative universe ?

Parallel universes is really off the topic of time travel. (Well it can be connected and reasoned as another obstacle that would prevent time travel, but that’s another story)

Anyways, sometimes when we think about time travel we kind of go off into philosophy and not real physics. Philosophy takes a big part in anything. Even in classical physics and in those days when people we building up that physics beliefs on philosophies always came up (to a certain degree). Time travel is no exception and with time travel there is even more philosophical discussion you can go into. Things like “free will”, but when one thinks of “free will” in physics terms and in the idea of the time-line. A physicist will answer “there is no such thing as free will”. Philosophically thinking of time travel I believe someone could put a very good (and possible true) argument. Because the time line is set in the future and the past from dimension (the forth dimension), then someone might say that this reasoning prevents time traveling from occurring. To a certain aspect this must be true, but I do not think that it’s completely true. Simultaneity is a very big factor when one must consider the ideas of time travel. Special (and general) relativity proves that simultaneity occurs. Even if the simultaneity could never really be a variable in today’s world the variable is there and then of course when we look at the casual structure of the universe then we can really show the dilations of simultaneity occur. This of course is a very large factor one must think about.

(For the general question of parallel universes I addressed that point in the latest edition of Star Trek & Physics Weekly)

Master Q

Edited by master_q

Time Travel

Real Time Experiments

In a laboratory in the United States, the first real attempts to travel through time are being planned. A professor at the University of Connecticut at Storrs, Dr. Ronald Mallett, has been obsessed with the notion of time travel since he was just a child.

His life's goal is founded in his past, when as a boy, he first read H.G. Wells' science fiction novel The Time Machine, which suggested the prospect of returning to the past to save his father who died at just 33, when Mallet was 10.

Now he believes he has found a way to make time travel possible - on a circulating beam of light. He is working on a project to move sub-atomic particles forward through time using lasers; if he succeeds, it will be a milestone in science and will open the door to the possibility of a machine that will transport people into the future.

Mallett has acquired scholarly fame recently with his published theories on time travel. Time is relative to space and velocity. This concept is difficult to grasp, but it has been supported by experiment. Travelling close to the speed of light will slow a clock, even an atomic clock. Likewise, a clock outside our atmosphere, far from any gravitational pull, will run faster than a clock on earth. Therefore, if an artificial gravitational force were created, time travel would, in theory, be possible.

Dr Mallet completed his doctorate in general physics with the title "Quantum Theory in a (3+!) de Sitter Universe" at Pennsylvania State University, and has published in the areas of the classic and quantum theory of black holes, relativistic astrophysics, and quantum cosmology. Currently, he teaches as a full professor at the University of Connecticut. He explains to us that his work on gravitational theory in based on "the exact solution to the Einstein field equations," and that the "solution has been used to study the Hawking radiation of evaporating black holes."

His research interests are gravitational theory, based on an exact solution of the Einstein field equations, which combines the effect of mass loss due to radiation with the de Sitter inflationary geometry. That solution has been used to study the Hawking radiation of evaporating black holes, as well as the effect of radiation from the shells surrounding false vacuum bubbles on the evolution of these bubbles.

The evolution of false vacuum bubbles is an important topic in the study of the very early history of the universe. Ongoing investigations address topics in quantum cosmology - the application of quantum mechanics to the universe as a whole. The quantum evolution of the universe is usually described by the Wheeler-deWitt equation. The probability density associated with the wave function of this equation is, however, not positive definite. A new wave equation for the wave function of the universe, in which this problem is removed, has been found. This result suggests that the universe may have been created with two possible states.

If this is true, then it looks like Dr Mallet may well be the person to explore both states.

Does any one know of any theoretical theories of how time travel is possible PLZ PLZ PLZ no longer then one screen full of info i want idiots guide not techno crap thnx

The faster you go the further in time you go.

Apparently if you spin round a large object anti-clockwise REALLY fast, that takes you back in time, by nano seconds.

I'm hoping to try, keyword - try, to invent a time machine in the future. I plan on getting books on physics and so forth, and learn as much as I can. Sure, our genious scientists can't figure it out, but then again... some of our best inventions were invented in some scientist's lab. :dude:

If nothing else, it'll be a fun hobby. :laugh:

Guest Viper

Time will speed up for you the faster you go. This has been proven using atomic clocks and jet planes. In the experiment an atomic clock was left stationary and another placed on plane, both clocks were started at the exact same moment. When the plane landed the clock on the plane was found to be a few billionths of second faster that the one left stationary. Using this discovery the “twin” theory was put forward. In this theory we have a set of twins, we will call them Betty and Wendy both aged 20, Wendy will stay on Earth and Betty will blast off into space at almost the speed of light (the speed of light not actually being achievable according to Einstein’s theory of relativity). Betty will travel at the speed of light for 20 Earth years but because time is running faster for her she will only experience 7 years. When she finishes her round trip she will arrive back on Earth and Wendy will be 40 while Betty is 27. Betty has traveled forward in time by 13 years.

Time travel theories usually involve faster than light travel, according to Einstein’s theories this is impossible. But what if you were in a ship 100 000km long and that ship was traveling at 299 000km/sec (300 000km/sec being the speed of light). So far theoretically possible, but what would happen if you them jumped in car aboard the space ship and drive at 2000km/sec, you would be traveling at 301 000km/sec, 1000km/sec faster than the speed of light.

Well there are many different theories that you can go back in time. You can go back in time if a parallel universe is created when you go back or if everything is destiny and the past, present and future is already planned out.

I'm hoping to try, keyword - try, to invent a time machine in the future.  I plan on getting books on physics and so forth, and learn as much as I can.  Sure, our genious scientists can't figure it out, but then again...  some of our best inventions were invented in some scientist's lab. :)

If nothing else, it'll be a fun hobby. :clap:

When you do invent your time machine,Captain.Take me with you.Sounds like fun.Hopefully the forces within the space-time continuum won't annihilate us.

the Vulcan Science Derectorate has concluded that time travel is impossible.

The Vulcans, in my view then, are very narrow-minded. Time-travel to the future is just needing to go near the speed of light or go near a high-gravity area and get out. Time-travel into the past is harder, but there is many theoretical ways time-travel into the past or two-way time-travel can be done.

:dude: :) :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::dude::dude:

doctorwho42avengers@hotmail.com

'Ah. Yes, well, it's going to take us a little while to get back,' murmered the Doctor, collecting a steaming mug from Fitz. 'The TARDIS is worn out. After all she's been through, it's the least you would expect.' He sipped and mmed. 'And it's harder work going back in time than going forward.' 'Why?' The Doctor regarded Anji as though the answer was obvious. 'Because it's uphill.' -"Doctor Who: Anachrophobia" written by Jonathan Morris

GREAT resource: Gott's book, Time Travel In Einstein's Universe.

It covers lots of things, including string theory.

And it's readable, even with the charts & diagrams.

Apparently if you spin round a large object anti-clockwise REALLY fast, that takes you back in time, by nano seconds.

I don't mean to be rude but that is incorrect.

Spinning does not send you backward it time. Traveling faster than someone else (like Viper said) will create time dialation but will never allow you to travel backwards in time.

I would really reccomend reading the previous topic:

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=758&st=0