Sign in to follow this  
gul_nodrog

Delta Quadrant and Sisko

I was just thinking about an episode of Voyager (can't remember the name or the season). Janeway and Company encounter a species with the technology to get Voyager out of the Delta Quadrant and back home (or at least within spitting distance). The species want to make a trade for some type of technology that Voyager has, but Janeway won't do it ... I guess because of the prime directive or some other such nonsense.

Now, if Benjamin Sisko had been commanding Voyager and was presented with the same opportunity, I don't think he'd have let a little thing like the prime directive get in his way. He would have done what he had to do to get his crew back home and dealt with his conscience later.

Personally, I'm with Sisko on this. I liked Janeway o.k., but she was more than a little self-righteous and too much by the book. Sisko was more in the mold of Kirk and Picard ... there are times when you have to sleep with the devil and the ends DO justify the means.

by the book is ok......however - Janeway was using an obselete book.

Sisko, oooo boy! he wouldve come home, faced the music and 2 years later be back in command!

I was just thinking about an episode of Voyager (can't remember the name or the season).  Janeway and Company encounter a species with the technology to get Voyager out of the Delta Quadrant and back home (or at least within spitting distance).  The species want to make a trade for some type of technology that Voyager has, but Janeway won't do it ... I guess because of the prime directive or some other such nonsense.

Now, if Benjamin Sisko had been commanding Voyager and was presented with the same opportunity, I don't think he'd have let a little thing like the prime directive get in his way.  He would have done what he had to do to get his crew back home and dealt with his conscience later.

Personally, I'm with Sisko on this.  I liked Janeway o.k., but she was more than a little self-righteous and too much by the book.  Sisko was more in the mold of Kirk and Picard ... there are times when you have to sleep with the devil and the ends DO justify the means.

i think your referring to the void where they are stuck in a sublayer of subspace...the trade is for weapons for food and deuterium... but still idont think sisko would have done it...after all its only food and power vs other lives...

Frankly, I think it's the other way around. Picard lives by the book! So does Sisko. Janeway is the one that is hippocritical. She doesn't live by the book or even her own ideals.

I don't think that Sisko would have made the trade. I honestly believe that he was by the book enough to not compromise the fundamental directives of the federation.

I don't think that Sisko would have made the trade.  I honestly believe that he was by the book enough to not compromise the fundamental directives of the federation.

Man, I'm fresh off the "In the Pale Moonlight" wagon ... Sisko certainly did a little sleeping with the devil in that one. That's what made me think about this whole situation in the first place. He wasn't exactly worried about going by the book in that particular situation.

I disagree with:

...there are times when you have to sleep with the devil and the ends DO justify the means.

Obeying the Prime Directive does not make one weak, but rathre protects alien societies, sometimes at a personal cost. However, there are times when the Prime Directive can be broken or doesn't apply.

I disagree with:
...there are times when you have to sleep with the devil and the ends DO justify the means.

Obeying the Prime Directive does not make one weak, but rathre protects alien societies, sometimes at a personal cost. However, there are times when the Prime Directive can be broken or doesn't apply.

Trust me, I know they'd never let me into Starfleet. They'd weed me out on the initial application for questionable moral fiber. Oh, well, there's always government work.

I was just thinking about an episode of Voyager (can't remember the name or the season).  Janeway and Company encounter a species with the technology to get Voyager out of the Delta Quadrant and back home (or at least within spitting distance).  The species want to make a trade for some type of technology that Voyager has, but Janeway won't do it ... I guess because of the prime directive or some other such nonsense.

Now, if Benjamin Sisko had been commanding Voyager and was presented with the same opportunity, I don't think he'd have let a little thing like the prime directive get in his way.  He would have done what he had to do to get his crew back home and dealt with his conscience later.

Personally, I'm with Sisko on this.  I liked Janeway o.k., but she was more than a little self-righteous and too much by the book.  Sisko was more in the mold of Kirk and Picard ... there are times when you have to sleep with the devil and the ends DO justify the means.

i think your referring to the void where they are stuck in a sublayer of subspace...the trade is for weapons for food and deuterium... but still idont think sisko would have done it...after all its only food and power vs other lives...

99122[/snapback]

I don't think he'd have traded weapons either.

I don't think that Sisko would have made the trade.  I honestly believe that he was by the book enough to not compromise the fundamental directives of the federation.

Man, I'm fresh off the "In the Pale Moonlight" wagon ... Sisko certainly did a little sleeping with the devil in that one. That's what made me think about this whole situation in the first place. He wasn't exactly worried about going by the book in that particular situation.

99184[/snapback]

Sisko wasn't always "by the book", but in "ITPML" he did tell Garak that he's have to get Starfleet approval for their plan but it wasn't "by the book" to even suggest the plan to Starfleet. I feel that Sisko is more "realistic" then Picard in many respects.

Now if you want to look at not going "by the book" watch "For the Uniform", now that's not following "the book" lol

99122[/snapback]

I don't think he'd have traded weapons either.

99184[/snapback]

Sisko wasn't always "by the book", but in "ITPML" he did tell Garak that he's have to get Starfleet approval for their plan but it wasn't "by the book" to even suggest the plan to Starfleet. I feel that Sisko is more "realistic" then Picard in many respects.

Now if you want to look at not going "by the book" watch "For the Uniform", now that's not following "the book" lol

359558[/snapback]

sisko had a hard time weighing the cost of a thief and a senators life over the safety of the alpha quadrant... so i still dont think he would trade photon torpedoes and antimattter pods for some 24th century gas and cookies..