Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Planet Archer 4

No, because this was mentioned in Yesterdays Enterprise, a TNG episode that was created long before Captain Archer's character was ever even conceived of. It is possible that they could turn it into a reference but that was not it's original intent. Don't take this the wrong way (I really mean no offence by it)but I have a hard time understanding why people try to see relationships between things when they are just coincidences.

No, because this was mentioned in Yesterdays Enterprise, a TNG episode that was created long before Captain Archer's character was ever even conceived of.  It is possible that they could turn it into a reference but that was not it's original intent.  Don't take this the wrong way (I really mean no offence by it)but I have a hard time understanding why people try to see relationships between things when they are just coincidences. 

Just a bit of fun. Im not stupid.... :biggrin:

It's Possible tptb had plans to create Archer way back when and slipped a reference in. I need to review the episode with a critical eye (or ear) to tell for sure though.

Of course that wasn't the original intent; it's our job as Trekkies to make these correlations in order to form greater continuity. :) Now that I've been reminded of that planet, I'll happily say it could have been named after Capt. Archer (Within Trek; big difference). As long as something doesn't go against canon Trek, it's entirely possible. Besides, who's to say the creators of ENT didn't go looking through the TNG archives in order to find a name for their new Captain? (probably not, but oh well)

It is possible that the PTB chose the name Archer for the captain because the name had been referred to in episodes. Whether the planet was named for Jonathan Archer or possibly his father would be interesting to know.

Would have been cool if they dug through some old archives and found that Archer was mentioned. But I'm afraid not even I can believe such a thing :spock:

Maybe they chose the name Archer for the character to reference the planet from "Yesterday's Enterprise" since so very little is known about it.

Maybe not, but what's wrong with theorizing?

In Nemesis one of the Federation ships in the group coming to aid Picard was named U.S.S. Archer after the famous 22nd century captain.

Edited by welfconfed

:) Not sure if someone have mentioned this, but maybe something happened on that planet, maybe he died there or something & they named it after him :dude:

as a redition to the story i mean, not its 1st intention.

You never really know where the real references stop and our wild guesses start. The scriptwriters are pretty smart people, I think sometimes they deliberately do things like this, just so we can all get together and discuss if its a coincidence or not

I just HAD to dig this one out and say. Told you so! :naughty:

Click For Spoiler
A post at the TrekBBS by Aatrek contains screen captures of the biographies of Sato and Archer as they appeared onscreen in the episode. The images reveal that Archer will become president of the United Federation of Planets in 2184, and that of the two planets that the Mirror Archer said were named after him, one is Archer IV from The Next Generation episode "Yesterday's Enterprise" while the other is in the Gamma Trianguli sector. The historian who called Captain Archer the "greatest explorer of the 22nd Century" is John Gill, later infamous as the Fuhrer of the planet Ekos from the original series episode "Patterns of Force."

And PS, I know it's not strictly cannon, but it's pretty close to being had a couple of screen shots made it on screen....

Edited by prometheus

I just HAD to dig this one out and say. Told you so! :thumbs:

Click For Spoiler

And PS, I know it's not strictly cannon, but it's pretty close to being had a couple of screen shots made it on screen....

322567[/snapback]

And it suggests that the writers of Enterprise were indeed making some effort to tie Enterprise in to the other series...to make connections, all along, contrary to the criticisms.

That's a possibility but not nesessarily true. I think that it was perhaps more likely that the Enterprise writers sifted back through old episodes looking for some references that could be related to the new series.