Sign in to follow this  
Delta

Avery Brooks as Sisko

Hi I was reading a Sci-Fi magazine and found an article about DS9 here's what it said:-

"A host of well known actors were up for the role of Commander Sisko including Candyman star and NG guest actor Tony Todd ( who could have been better than Avery Brooks) E.R's Eriq La Salle (who could have been better than Avery Brooks and Gary Graham (who, erm- you get the picture)"

I thought Avery Brooks was great as Sisko and had never considered other people didn't think he was very good i was wondering what everyone else thinks as this really annoyed me. :bow:

IMHO Avery Brooks as Sisko rules :biggrin:

i think that the introduction as a "black" man as the captain, showed that racism is irrelivant in the future....also, they played that really well in "Badda Bing Badda Bang" with Vics lounge.

No one else could replace Avery, espec. with his "emphasis" on some touchy issues (In The Pale Moonlight)

Sisko became my favorite of the Captains and Avery made that role.

As far as Raceism in the future and Badda Bing, I loved that episode but 400 years in the future I don't think there would be the same resentments that might be present today. I thought the episode would have been better if they had left that aspect (Sisko resenting Vics due to the era) out.

I thought the protrayal of not only raceism and sexism in Far Beyond The Stars was done in a much better and realistic way though.

true enough........but for the early 90's...it showed that acceptance would contyinue to grow in the future!

I can't imagine anyone playing Sisko other than Avery Brooks. He did a fantastic job with that character. I can't see why anyone would think otherwise. That annoys me too..But I guess we all have different opinions and different likes and dislikes..

Myself, I do not believe that anyone could have played the role the same way as Brooks. He made the role into a character that we all respected and cared about, and very few actors could have done the same.

Stardate:213926.9

Avery Brooks was awsome as Sisko.Whoever wrote that articel obvoiusly isnt a trekkie

Brooks rules. sisko became my favorite captain as well, and i always liked Brooks as HAWK in spencer for hire as well. there could never be a replacement for him as sisko

Casting Avery Brooks As Sisko Was Brilliant. His Performance Of The Character Is What Made Sisko My Favorite Star Trek Character Period.

Durning The 2nd or Maybe 3rd Season Of DS9, In A School History Class, We Watched Uncle Tom's Cabin,I Think That's It, With Avery Brooks As The Lead Role. He Was Great In It :blink:

For me Brooks as Sisko had me a little worried at first but very soon after seeing Emissary (more like during the teaser for Emissary) I saw that he was perfect for the role.

I think Brooks screen presens made easy to beleve that here was a man whos in charge. There was just somthing dynamic about him that make him such a pleashure to watch.

I am in total agreement with everyone here... Avery Brooks was fantastic as Ben Sisko and he is an extremly talented actor. I just love it when the writers make Avery play a deranged character (Dramatis Personae, Our Man Bashir...) he is just SO good at getting under the characters skin!

i have never heard of any of the actors mentioned in the article, but can't imagine anyone else being any where near as good as Avery Brooks. Sisko is my favourite star trek character and I thought Avery Brooks was superb. I wish rascism was a thing of the past, because that's where it belongs.

I totally agree that Avery Brooks did an amazing job. I loved how the character evolved from the Sector 001 type Starfleet officer, into the front lines battle hardened commander. His change in physical appearance (beard, shaved head) really devulged what was going on inside Sisko as his character evloved.

I also heard when they were casting the part that Danny Glover was offered the role, whether that's true or not, we all have seen they made the right choice.

:ph34r:

Avery Brooks was fantastic as Sisko. I especially loved his hypnotic voice, I could listen to that voice all day. I found his character to be quite indimidating and with his shaved head and beard, he looked rather scary. On the other hand, he was a devoted father to Jake and a great Commander/Captain. I think he held a great deal of respect for the everyone that worked on the station, especially Kira and Dax. I especially liked the way Sisko saw that Nog had the potential to get into the Starfleet Academy. To most people, Nog was just a trouble maker but Sisko knew that if he was given the opportunity, he could do almost anything.

Madam Captain out!!

I GOTTA SAY YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD. I LOVED SISCO, AND HIS DEEP, MELODIOUS VOICE. I WONDER IF HE CAN SING. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN MICHAEL DORN WITHOUT HIS 'WORF FACE' ON? MMM MMM, GOOD! NEVER SEE GUYS LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE, DO WE? BE STILL MY HEART.

Guest Guest
I GOTTA SAY YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD.  I LOVED SISCO, AND HIS DEEP, MELODIOUS VOICE.  I WONDER IF HE CAN SING.  HAVE YOU EVER SEEN MICHAEL DORN WITHOUT HIS 'WORF FACE' ON?  MMM MMM, GOOD!  NEVER SEE GUYS LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE, DO WE?  BE STILL MY HEART.

I have often wondered if Avery Brooks can sing. I think he would sound like Barry White or maybe even James Brown if he can sing. That would be very interesting to find out if he can actually sing, I might look him up on a search engine and see if I can find some information. I love his voice, it is very unique.

Yes, I have seen Michael Dorn without his 'Worf' face on. He is quite something to look at isn't he?? I envy him for being such a fantastic actor and yet he can do his shopping without being malled by fans. Alexander Siddig is another face that I could look at all day - mmmmmm!!! What about Vedek Barail (sp) he wasn't bad either. Deep Space Nine (and Star Trek in general) has some very attractive people in it - both male and female. Terry Farrell (Jadzia) and even Nana Visitor (Kira) - both of them could light up any room with their smiles. Chase Masterson (Leeta) was quite attractive too. I found her in an episode of ER last night.

Madam Captain out!!

I GOTTA SAY YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD.  I LOVED SISCO, AND HIS DEEP, MELODIOUS VOICE.  I WONDER IF HE CAN SING.  HAVE YOU EVER SEEN MICHAEL DORN WITHOUT HIS 'WORF FACE' ON?  MMM MMM, GOOD!  NEVER SEE GUYS LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE, DO WE?  BE STILL MY HEART.

I have often wondered if Avery Brooks can sing. I think he would sound like Barry White or maybe even James Brown if he can sing. That would be very interesting to find out if he can actually sing, I might look him up on a search engine and see if I can find some information. I love his voice, it is very unique.

Yes, I have seen Michael Dorn without his 'Worf' face on. He is quite something to look at isn't he?? I envy him for being such a fantastic actor and yet he can do his shopping without being malled by fans. Alexander Siddig is another face that I could look at all day - mmmmmm!!! What about Vedek Barail (sp) he wasn't bad either. Deep Space Nine (and Star Trek in general) has some very attractive people in it - both male and female. Terry Farrell (Jadzia) and even Nana Visitor (Kira) - both of them could light up any room with their smiles. Chase Masterson (Leeta) was quite attractive too. I found her in an episode of ER last night.

Madam Captain out!!

Oops!! I just replied to you post as an unregistered guest. I'm not sure how that happened.

Madam Captain out!!

You might suspect that I agree with you by looking at my avatar.

I cared for the character Ben Sisko from the very first episode of DS9, because he was in pain, and yet embarking on a new adventure both in terms of potential new exploration of the Gamma quadrant, and personally through his role as emissary.

I cannot imagine Eric Lasalle (sp..sorry) of ER in this role. Danny Glover, perhaps. Tony Todd...well I loved him in the Visitor, my favorite Star Trek episode. I think he could also have done the role.

But I think Avery Brooks made the character of Sisko alive for me from day one, and I think TPTB made a good choice to play the role.