Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

"New Frontier"

I'm not into STAR TREK books due to their being multiple series and movies. However, I've heard plent of praise for the New Frontier book series. With this said, I might get them. Can anyone tell me how many there are and if I can still get the first ones? If I decide to get them, I'd like to start with the first book.

:rolleyes: I thought you were strickly against all non-canon material but I'll share what I have about them... Our son read the first year or two of them and he raved about them, always trying to get me to try them, telling me they were worth it.

I'm sorry, he's very busy at College and I already have a request submitted to him for finding Novel stardates regarding a different members request thread. Perhaps a websearch would net you good results in that area... Or waiting until a big NF fan finds this thread.

Well if I remeber correctly, you dislike Cmdr Shelby... she is in those books as far as I know.

I began to read the first book, but because I often drop a book I never finished it. It did have promise tho!

And I dislike many of the books as well because they always mix the series together! I can believe it if it happens in one book, but when you read 5 books about how Scotty returned to duty to save the Enterprise E or D for some reason... it losses it's believeability fast!

I think the books are great. I always call them star trek with a twist as it is a little different than a normal star trek book. But that is normal for the author Peter David. I think their is about 17 or 18 out but I do believe you can still get them but you might have to order the first couple of them as they won't be on the shelf but if you just want to try them out just go to your local libary and if they don't have them they can get them from another one. Some of the books are from some of the all shows sets like the captains table and double helix but even if you read just the new frontier books from that set I don't think that you will be lost. Well I hope I helped a little with my rambles I just like the books I hope you do to.

Hey Captain, my son is here now and has agreed to give you info and personal feelings regarding this topic. The following is in his own words...

According to the official star trek books website (found here) there are 12 books in the regular New Frontier series. In addition to this, there are 3 or so other New Frontier books that have come out recently... and then there is the Gateways novel that features the crew of the Excalibur, and then there's the Captain's Table novel... whew... so many.

If you want to start at number one, be advised that the first four are quite small (about 150 pages each) and they have released them all in one hardbound volume. I recommend you pick up the collection... it'll save you money, and by the time you're finished reading the first book, you won't want to wait to look around for the next one.

One of the greatest things about these books are that they give you a feeling unlike any of the other series. I guess you can say they are most like what the wonder and amazement of exploration that the original series would have if it were in the Next Gen time. The characters are remarkable, and as you go through the series, there are quite a few juicy secrets you learn about each one. Also, expect some notable "guest appearances" from Picard, Spock, and even Q in ways that will really amaze you.

I highly recommend these books. Peter David's books have almost always kept me more than interested, and this series gave him a chance to take off his gloves and truly delve into a cast of characters that he could do anything with. Because he wasn't limited to having every book end the way it started, with all the loose threads tied up and everything going right, he's able to tell a richer story.

One thing's for certain with these books... prepare to be surprised. Not only surprised by the quality of writing, or the characterizations, but also by the amazing (and sometimes unbelievable) things that happen. It's a true roller coaster ride in book form.

[end quote]

I love the New Frontier books! I recommend them highly. They feature characters from TNG like Commander Shelby and Lt. Robin Lefler, and every now and again Capt. Picard or Will Riker show up. I have read them all and enjoyed the stories very much!

I am halfway into the second New Frontier book, and I love it!

I bought one large book that contain all the first 4 new frontier books, there are many more but the first are "one story".. (Sorry I am so terrible at explaining in english).

You should really buy them and try them. I ordered my book on the internet for about $15 (and it's hardcover, not paperback).

I've been a New Frontier fan since book one, hence my screen name. I've just finished the two new books as well, Gods Above and Stone and Anvil. It took only one week to finish them both. These are great books and I always recommend them to anyone who wants to read about more than just the usual characters. You're gonna love Captain Calhoun.

I LOVE the Final Foruntier seris. READ IT!

I just knew you would be here and say that T'Son. By the way, do you have the NF books you were missing yet? (Yes, I am only acting out of desire to borrow them. :laugh: J/K). And why did you say "final" instead of "new?" I know what you meant though. :laugh:

I agree with T'Son.