Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

"Star Trek" Spin-Off Shows

I just thought of something! Sure, TNG, DS9, VOY, & ENT are Star Trek spin-off shows, but consider this...

Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek: The Next Generation - TOS Spin-Off

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - TNG Spin-Off

Star Trek: Voyager - DS9 Spin-Off

Star Trek: Enterprise - TOS Spin-Off

What do you think?

I just thought of something!  Sure, TNG, DS9, VOY, & ENT are Star Trek spin-off shows, but consider this...

Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek: The Next Generation - TOS Spin-Off

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - TNG Spin-Off

Star Trek: Voyager - DS9 Spin-Off

Star Trek: Enterprise - TOS Spin-Off

What do you think?

Maybe it's just me but I consider, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT all to be spinoffs of TOS..!

Click here.  Look for the TV show All in the Family.  Where it lists the spin-offs, it says one of the spin-offs was spun off a spin-off.  I thought this might apply to Trek as well. :bag:

I still feel that they are all spinoffs of TOS. That's where Star Trek all started from..TOS..But this is only my view..I'm biased for TOS.. :rolleyes: I'm interested what everybody else thinks..Maybe we should take a Poll?!

Well All in the Family got a spin-off in the form of The Jeffersons which got a spin-off in the form of Checking In, so couldn't one say that TOS was spun-off into TNG which was spun-off into DS9?

Your thinking does have a certain logic to it. But I still consider them all spinoffs of TOS..And I know I'm probably wrong but I think all of those shows like Maude, The Jeffersons and the others are spinoffs of All in the Family...Just my view..

I can agree that DS9 might be a spin off of TNG as TNG's Best of Both World's led into DS9, but why is VOY as spin off of DS9? There is no direct relationship between the two, except that Voyager visited DS9 in the first ep. Also, I can't see how ENT could be a spin off of TOS only. TOS comes later in the timeline from ENT, as do the other Star Treks. So ENT would really have to be a spin off of Star Trek itself. You couldn't narrow it down to just TOS, because you could still have ENT if TNG was the first Star Trek series. TOS has no direct relationship to it. As you've likely guessed, I feel that every series is just a spin off of Star Trek in general, but DS9 and Voyager because of their proximity in the timeline to TNG could be considered linked to TNG.

Here's how I see it:

TOS - Original series.

TNG - A century late, TOS spin-off.

DS9 - Miles O'Brien assigned to DS9, set in the TNG era, dealing with the Cardassians and Bajorrans, both races that first appeared on TNG. I consider this show to be a TNG spin-off.

VOY - First mission was to hunt down a missing Maquis ship with Janeway's chief of security on board as a spy. VOY started off with the "Starfleet/Maquis crew trying to get home" story, later dropping the ex-Maquis conflict. However, becuase VOY used the Maquis, you might could consider it a DS9 spin-off.

ENT - Set a century before TOS, has the most in common with TOS, so I see it as a TOS spin-off.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Actually, this might be more accurate:

TOS - Original Series

TNG - TOS Spin-off

DS9 - TNG Spin-off

VOY - TNG Spin-off

ENT - TOS Spin-off

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I can agree that DS9 might be a spin off of TNG as TNG's Best of Both World's led into DS9, but why is VOY as spin off of DS9? There is no direct relationship between the two, except that Voyager visited DS9 in the first ep.  Also, I can't see how ENT could be a spin off of TOS only.  TOS comes later in the timeline from ENT, as do the other Star Treks.  So ENT would really have to be a spin off of Star Trek itself.  You couldn't narrow it down to just TOS, because you could still have ENT if TNG was the first Star Trek series.  TOS has no direct relationship to it.  As you've likely guessed, I feel that every series is just a spin off of Star Trek in general, but DS9 and Voyager because of their proximity in the timeline to TNG could be considered linked to TNG.   

I think you're right. Really, becuase they don't have direct connections to each other, you could see them as being Star Trek spin-offs in general.

Something to consider. Each series has the Star Trek prefix, except one...

Star Trek

Star Trek:The Next Generation

Star Trek:Deep Space Nine

Star Trek:Voyeger

Star Trek:Enterprise

IMHO, that says it all.

Star Trek

IMHO, that says it all.

My sentiments as well. Captain, if you have a point to make, cut the guessing game & just out with it man.

Well, there's no guessing game, I've allready come out with it.

TNG & ENT seem to be derived directly from TOS, making them TOS spin-offs, while DS9 & VOY seem to be derived from TNG, making them TNG spin-offs. :rolleyes:

That's it CJLP? No more discussion? How about this....

There would have been no DS9 or VOY without TOS..!

Star Trek

IMHO, that says it all.

Correction, I meant to say "suffix" not "prefix". Sorry about that :rolleyes: Wait a minute, I don't mean that either, what the heck am I trying to say, LOL!

Edited by Big_Steve

Well, there's no guessing game, I've allready come out with it.

TNG & ENT seem to be derived directly from TOS, making them TOS spin-offs, while DS9 & VOY seem to be derived from TNG, making them TNG spin-offs. :rolleyes:

That's it CJLP? No more discussion? How about this....

There would have been no DS9 or VOY without TOS..!

Yes, but "Checking In" is a spin-off of "The Jeffersons" which is a spin-off of "All in the Family", so why can't DS9 be a spin-off of TNG which is a spin-off of TOS?

so why can't DS9 be a spin-off of TNG which is a spin-off of TOS?

If that's what you want to call it then, :rolleyes: who's stopping you?

Edited by Alterego

I don't know Capt, saying it like that seems to be intended to take TOS out of the equation and I can't (no, won't) do that.

Edited by Alterego

i dont even like tos (the series not the movies) and i still think that they are all tos spin-offs. without it, there would be no trek as we know it today.

I can agree that DS9 might be a spin off of TNG as TNG's Best of Both World's led into DS9, but why is VOY as spin off of DS9? There is no direct relationship between the two, except that Voyager visited DS9 in the first ep.  Also, I can't see how ENT could be a spin off of TOS only.  TOS comes later in the timeline from ENT, as do the other Star Treks.  So ENT would really have to be a spin off of Star Trek itself.  You couldn't narrow it down to just TOS, because you could still have ENT if TNG was the first Star Trek series.  TOS has no direct relationship to it.  As you've likely guessed, I feel that every series is just a spin off of Star Trek in general, but DS9 and Voyager because of their proximity in the timeline to TNG could be considered linked to TNG.   

I think you're right. Really, becuase they don't have direct connections to each other, you could see them as being Star Trek spin-offs in general.

In my opinion, TOS is Star Trek, so all the shows produced after TOS are TOS spin-offs.

Well, the way I see it, the show a spin-off is based on would be the show it's spun off of. For example, DS9 takes elements from TNG and tells it's own story. DS9 doesn't take TOS elements, but rather TNG elements, thus I'd see it as a TNG spin-off.

Well, the way I see it, the show a spin-off is based on would be the show it's spun off of.  For example, DS9 takes elements from TNG and tells it's own story.  DS9 doesn't take TOS elements, but rather TNG elements, thus I'd see it as a TNG spin-off.

Yes, but they are all spun off of TOS..! They are all Star Trek and Star Trek is TOS..Let's face it CJLP..We'll never agree on this.. :rolleyes:

say that I could see how DS9 was a TNG spin off. It is the others that I find have no connection to anything in specific. Except for TNG cause it came after TOS and thus HAD to be based on it. How is Voyager based on TNG, and how is Enterprise based on TOS?

Except for TNG cause it came after TOS and thus HAD to be based on it. How is Voyager based on TNG, and how is Enterprise based on TOS?

What??? How could it possibly be based on anything else? lol. We all must forget temporal time lines a moment and think in the reality of today. It is all based on Star Trek!

The opening credits of every episode of every series begins with: Based on Star Trek created by Gene Roddenberry, with the exception of Star Trek, which simply states: Created By Gene Roddenberry.

Edited by Big_Steve

Well, how do ya explain "Checking In" being a spin-off of "The Jeffersons" being a spin-off of "All in the Family", eh? :rolleyes:

Because the other trek series are not spin-offs, they are an appendium to the original Star Trek. Sequels and prequels.

Edited by Big_Steve