Sign in to follow this  
poguemahone

Least Favourite Character

I almost forgot the man I would like to disassemble and examine for a brain - Commander Bruce Maddox. I so despise that man!!! :)

Since we are sort of venting here, there are times when Geordi really bugged me too. He at times came off as a "know it all". Picard would be looking at Data to ask a question and Geordi would jump in. Remember in Power Play when he and Ro are in the Jeffries Tube talking to Picard and Crusher and he interrupts Crusher to tell her something she had already figured out. Or in The Loss when Data is telling Picard and Riker about the plan he and Troi came up with to get away from the cosmic string and Geordi jumps in "Data's right". Well of course Data's right!!! At times Geordi really is the Cliff Clavin of TNG.

Believe me DSBS, if you KNEW my coworker you'd want to throw something at him too! The part of him that I kinda think is Riker-esque is that he flirts with all the women, including me. He kinda thinks that he is God's gift to women, married, single, younger or much older. . .he does not care he thinks he's a stud. He hates this and I DID tell this to his face. . .THE SIGHT AND SOUND OF HIM MAKES ME WANT TO THROW UP! He is also has bizarre mood swings (yes this is a GUY here!) hes happy and saccharine one moment and then full of depression and mild anger  the next! I sometimes wish I could run screaming out of the building just to get away from him!

Lol, stop! hehehe....I know, I hate those guys too, and there's nothing you can do or say to get them off their high horses.

OK, DSBS, I shall stop. Oh, and soong_girl I decided not to mention Bruce "I got a chip on my shoulder, and a bug up my b**t" Maddox on the grounds that I could easily make Captain in reguards to posts about why I'd like to see this guy tortured! I hate him! He said he wanted to study Data, when we all know he'd wind up murdering him! Plus, I am desperately trying not to swear while I am writing this! AND NO I DON'T THINK HE"D HAVE A BRAIN! :) :) :) :lol: There are no lights on upstais and he definately has no heart! OK, I think I'll go scream now!

I know I'm gonna get killed for this: I hated Maddox too, but not as much as everyone else seems to. Obviously I don't like people who make snap judgements, especially before they've even met teh person, but I don't think he was that bad. And, like everyone else, he did reconsider in the end.

Least Favorites by Series.

TOS: Chekov. I like Walter Koenig. But the character was completely unneccesary and added nothing to any episode he was in.

TNG and DS9: Keiko O'Brien. What a shrew. The actress playing her had no chemistry with Colm Meaney. Honest to god I was rooting for him to get it on with Kira during the whole pregnancy story line on DS9.

VOY: Not a huge Neelix fan. But as far as deleted for all time? The Kazon. Brilliant Klingon's with sunburns, and bad hair dos.

ENT: Honestly? Porthos could go and I wouldn't shed a tear.

I know I'm gonna get killed for this: I hated Maddox too, but not as much as everyone else seems to. Obviously I don't like people who make snap judgements, especially before they've even met teh person, but I don't think he was that bad. And, like everyone else, he did reconsider in the end.

No, not killed, never that and don't worry about us yelling at you (at least I promise I won't) Because you have the right to how you feel, sister!

But for me it's. . . :D :) :) :lol: :) :) when it comes to Maddox!

Notice how once he met Data he changed his mind? If only everyone in the world would give everyone else a chance before judging them (Maddox did, however, end up calling Data "he". And didn't Data, in Data's Day - which I've only seen once - say was sending a report to Maddox? or was that Haftel? Now I'm confused...)

Notice how once he met Data he changed his mind? If only everyone in the world would give everyone else a chance before judging them (Maddox did, however, end up calling Data "he". And didn't Data, in Data's Day - which I've only seen once - say was sending a report to Maddox? or was that Haftel? Now I'm confused...)

You were correct the first time. Also of some interest to Data fans might be Immortal Coil, in which Commander Maddox makes an appearence.

I absolutely love Immortal Coil, and Yes It IS a MUST READ for any fan of Data. Any of my sisters read it yet? If you haven't you just gotta!

I've read it (6 times, I'm ashamed to say, lol). Best Star Trek TNG Book I've read yet. Lives of Dax is also good, though.

And can anyone recommend Data books? They all have him in them, but not too often as the main character (I'm still looking for Metamorphosis)

I've read it (6 times, I'm ashamed to say, lol). Best Star Trek TNG Book I've read yet. Lives of Dax is also good, though.

And can anyone recommend Data books? They all have him in them, but not too often as the main character (I'm still looking for Metamorphosis)

I had Metamorphosis when it first came out, and somehow it was lost. . .but, about five years ago I was at a used book store in my hometown and lucky for me I found a single copy of it! Spartacus is another good one, it deals with a race of androids that are fleeing their creators.

And only 6 reads of Immortal Coil? Hey, don't be ashamed, I certainly am not. . .I have read it more than 20 times since I got it. To the point of I was caught in my Linear Algebra class reading the book instead of paying attention (HEY THE STORY IS THAT GOOD!!)

Metamorphosis is good but you must be prepared to make allowances for the fact that it was written during the early days of the show and some things hadn't been firmed up, so some things will seem out of character.

Other Data related books that I liked include, Perchance To Dream, and Spartacus.

Yes and there is a big plotline in the story that I will not give away in case anyone hasn't read it. But, it is a definately interesting scenario!

I hated Kes! I don't know why but she really got on my nerves. I think it was because she seemed really fake, if that makes sence to anyone.

I actually quite liked Kes. She did well for a nice character. You know, usually the interesting ones have troubled pasts, interesting flaws (or they're just perfect, like Data), but she had almost no problems, and still managed to be interesting.

As for Immortal Coil - it had a great, very complicated plot and character development and it WAS ALL ABOUT DATA!! (and Rhea, who liked Data and said such nice things about him, awww :unsure: )

I actually quite liked Kes. She did well for a nice character. You know, usually the interesting ones have troubled pasts, interesting flaws (or they're just perfect, like Data), but she had almost no problems, and still managed to be interesting.

As for Immortal Coil - it had a great, very complicated plot and character development and it WAS ALL ABOUT DATA!! (and Rhea, who liked Data and said such nice things about him, awww  :unsure: )

Yes, but that is EXACTLY why I liked Immortal Coil SOOO much! Rhea was a rather interesting character too.

She was. And I thought it was...good that he ended up falling in love with an android. Anyone else and he would have out-lived them, and that would have ben devastating for him. I didn't like that she left in the end. I mean, I know she had to because it's a book, but I thought her reason for leaving was kind of thin.

She was. And I thought it was...good that he ended up falling in love with an android. Anyone else and he would have out-lived them, and that would have ben devastating for him. I didn't like that she left in the end. I mean, I know she had to because it's a book, but I thought her reason for leaving was kind of thin.

Yes, I thought that it was predictable that she would leave him, since it was a novel, but, geez. . .He's already lost Tasha, and Jenna, and in this book. . .Rhea. That is so sad, just when he starts to figure love out. . .the girl is out the door.

I know, poor guy. Aside from the girl friends, his daughter dies, he has to "kill" his brother, his father and mother died, he NEVER gets promoted, and he dies in Nemesis. If I think of anything else, I'll add it in.

And he still manages to be...Data

I haven't read the book you are talking about but I don't think Data would have to be involved with another android. There are species in the Star Trek world that have very long life spans. Remember when Guinan joked about her father being more than 700 years old in Rascals.

I haven't read the book you are talking about but I don't think Data would have to be involved with another android.  There are species in the Star Trek world that have very long life spans.  Remember when Guinan joked about her father being more than 700 years old in Rascals.

No, I don't think he particularly has to be involved with an android either. But, that was the case in this book, which by the way you should check out.

I never said he HAD to...I just thought it was good that it was someone who would live as long as he SHOULD

I never said he HAD to...I just thought it was good that it was someone who would live as long as he SHOULD

hey, dsbs. .don't worry I wasn't saying you said he HAD to, I was glad too, to see that he had fallen in love with someone who had as long of a life span. I still didn't like that she essentially "dumped" him, that was soooo wrong.

Exactly. And she didn't seem to have much of a reason, which I guess is my biggest problem.

My, we've gotten a little off-topic...this used to be about our least favourite characters. And yet we still manage to get back to Data, lol :unsure:

Exactly. And she didn't seem to have much of a reason, which I guess is my biggest problem.

My, we've gotten a little off-topic...this used to be about our least favourite characters. And yet we still manage to get back to Data, lol :)

:lol: :lol: :unsure: :) How can we resist that? We ARE Soongs after all!

Has anyone here read Lives of Dax? It's a really good book - almost as good as immortal coil...

And yes, we are soongs - I think we need a slogan or something :lol:

My gosh is this a long thread!

Ok, i read Coil and hated it! I did not like the "in love with another android" thing and killing Data's mother off at the beginning. I thought they were mean to Geordi and Flint was...too much.

Ok, least fav char...Chakotay. never liked him. and i hated them putting 7 with him. SHe could do SOOOO much better then him!

I hated the EMH too, but he was funny. they did the "Hologram rights" thing way too much and it was stupid. Android rights makes sence, but hologram rights? they are light, for god sakes!

and then lest and least ties...Maddox and Haftel. I hope they have long painful deaths and that Data gets to watch. LOL Sorry, feeling agressive there.

I don't think Data would want to watch. And lets forget about Immortal Coil - everyone's entitled to an opinion.

I didn;t like Chakotay much, but I thought he was perfect for Janeway (who I did like) if she didn't get to marry Marc.

7 could have ended up with Harry or, prefereably, the Doctor, and everythign could have been good. Oh well. Luckily, with the way that episode ended, anything could happen.

I don't think he would want to watch either, and he'd probably ask why we are torturing the two idiots. He knows what they did towards him and his daughter, but I don't think he'd go for us torturing Haftel and Maddox! Darn, that is a really good idea too(giving Maddox and Haftel a bit of their own medicine, I mean).