Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Hawaii or Alaska in the NFL

What would you (NFL Fans) think of an Hawaiian ro Alaskan team in the NFL? I don't think it's a realistic possibility but it'd be interesting to see. The expense of travel to Hawaii would be tremendous but the NFL makes enough money that it wouldn't be a hardship on them.

Well,Hawai'i had a club in the old World Football League.I think the average football franchise makes so much money that the travel expenses could be handled fairly easily...but I'm not sure that Hawaiins would support an NFL franchise.Take the University of Hawai'i Rainbows.Unless the team is having a great year,they rarely sell out their stadium.

Alaska.Hmm.I don't know. ;)

I don't think Alaska has the population needed to support an NFL team. They would have to build an enclosed stadium as well since it does get a little cold up there. lol

Does Hawaii have the population base to support a team?

With the revenue sharing that the NFL has I don't think population support would be a problem as far as a team surviving is concerned. The NFL would make sure a team survived.

I don't ever think either of those places will get a team, but it'd be interesting to see games there. As for Alaska's cold, that's what Football's supposed to be. In the frozen tundra, snow all over the place. Steam coming off the tops of the players heads. Domes take an element away from what the game really is. I want to see a cold weather Super Bowl.

Stardate:213912.9

I'm not sure if either place has a big enough pop. base for a pro football team.Besides it would kinda hard for a team to have to fly out of Hawaii or Alaska all the time wouldn't it?

The Probowl in Hawaii doesnt even sell out. What makes you think an NFL team would? When the XFL was in its ONE season...which I did watch because I love football...I thought that Alaska and Hawaii needed teams if the league survived...It didnt, but these are the names I came up with for the XFL ONLY! The Honolulu Hellions, and the Anchorage Anger. What do you think?

I don't think they'd sell out, and don't really think they'd get a the kind of local support that would be needed. Truth be told if the NFL expands again it will be in L.A. and one other city, not sure where but I know this area (Hampton Roads, Va.) has tried in the past for a few different pro Sports.

This was more of a "Wouldn't it be interesting" kind of musing. I'd be more then shocked to see a team in any of the mentioned cities other then L.A.

VBG,

It is ironic that you bring this up. I have been playing Madden 2004 lately and I made a custom team in Alaska. It has an open stadium only because I love watching football played in snow.

Obviously, my vote is for Alaska. ;)