Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Daedalus

This was the latest in the Enterprise novels. I admit I enjoyed the fact that Trip was the main character but I also found the story more compelling than some. Has anyone else read it yet?

The bummer is the story is continued to a sequel "Daedalus' Children" so I'm left with a cliff hanger.

I have read every one of the few Enterprise novels written...

I liked "What Price Honor?" by Dave Stern...where Malcom was the main character. I thought it was decently written. However, "Daedalus" has an ok story...but the writing just seemed to ruin it for me.

It seemed like every spot that Dave lost train of thought for Trip...he would have him say some kind of "earth idiom" that the space aliens don't understand...

Of course I see Trip easily doing that...but not over and over again as portrayed by Stern.

The prior Enterprise novel "SuraksSoul" by Dillard was almost equally as bad...

Yes, I took the name before the book was released -- "slaps self in head." :dude:

We'll just have to see if Daedalus' Children is the same way. I like the story, but I think it could have been told better.

I wasn't that impressed by Daedalus. It seemed passionless and whether you like Trip or not, you'd have to agree he's not passionless. There is more passion in Stern's acknowledgements page than in the whole rest of the book!

After waiting so long it was a little galling to get a story with a beginning and a middle...

Click for Spoiler:

Spoiler for the book and Stigma episode

But, for me, what killed it was that Stern clearly has no idea of who Trip is! This is the guy who wouldn't sleep with Feezel (sp?) Phlox, despite her husband pimping her onto him. He said: "I was brought up to believe it's wrong to sleep with another man's wife. I don't think I'll ever change my mind about that."

Sooo, in Daedalus, Trip sleeps with another man's wife! Not just once but many times! And not only is it done in the face of her husband, but the inference is it's okay cause the guy is mentally deficient after he was tortured.

I mean.... :dude:

That's not Trip, not in any universe!

Edited by Trinneergirl

I wasn't that impressed by Daedalus.  It seemed passionless and whether you like Trip or not, you'd have to agree he's not passionless.  There is more passion in Stern's acknowledgements page than in the whole rest of the book!

After waiting so long it was a little galling to get a story with a beginning and a middle...

Click for Spoiler:

Spoiler for the book and Stigma episode

But, for me, what killed it was that Stern clearly has no idea of who Trip is!  This is the guy who wouldn't sleep with Feezel (sp?) Phlox, despite her husband pimping her onto him.  He said: "I was brought up to believe it's wrong to sleep with another man's wife.  I don't think I'll ever change my mind about that."

Sooo, in Daedalus, Trip sleeps with another man's wife!  Not just once but many times!  And not only is it done in the face of her husband, but the inference is it's okay cause the guy is mentally deficient after he was tortured.

I mean.... :dude:

That's not Trip, not in any universe!

That is an excellent point - I guess I just liked

Click for Spoiler:

the alternate universe and overlooked some of the finer details. But you are correct that is totally out of character. I haven't read all of the ENT books but I wasn't impressed with the others I did read

I'm just reading it and I have to say I like it. At present I'm in the middle of the book and I can't hardly wait to go on.

Til now I can recognize Trip in the book. The story is thrilling, Trip cares about Hoshi, the ship, his friends. And he sees his responsibilty and is carefull with giving technology away. The thing with Trand, well that hasn't happened yet - for me.