Sign in to follow this  
NordicBearskin

Which Science Fiction

Although I did see Star Trek TOS as a wee barin, the SF show tha glued me to my TV was called Sliders. Very cool show, all about dimension hopping and 'what if' scenarios.

Sliders site!

It was a really great show, although towards the end the producers got rid of the best characters and hired some 'sex appeal' young women. I quickly stopped watching.

However, the first three seasons were golden, sometimes rivaling Star Trek in quality. My fave episode is in the first season, where the premise is 'What if the USSR had won the Cold War?'. Another is where America is a still protectorate of the British Empire, (it still exits in this universe) and an interesting sidenote is that because in that timeline the British crushed the revolution, the other revolutions across the world (e.g. the French) never happened and the world is governed by a few imperialist empires. (I think it was Britain, France and China, setting a politcal atmosphere a bit like 1984) Meeting the American resistance cells for the first time is like :clap:

:clap:

Ahhhh, I could do this all day! :(

Stardate:213878.9

Quantum Leap got me hooked on Sci Fi.Still the only scifi show better than Star Trek IMHO

I remember Sliders.I loved that show.

The sci-fi that pulled me into science-fiction in general were the paperback novelizations of Rod Serling's "The Twilight Zone" and various compilations of sci-fi and horror stories published as "Alfred Hitchcock's Stories For Late At Night".Believe it or not,I was never very interested in television as a boy.There were a few shows I'd watch,like the animated Star Trek.But I always loved reading.Comics,paperbacks,magazines,anything.

Around the time Sliders was on,I also liked that sci-fi series "The Chronicle".Other sci-fi shows I liked were "Red Dwarf","Lexx",and "Firefly".

for me it was TOS, and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. to date the best one i would have to say is probably, now dont shoot me, STARGATE SG-1. it just has it all, humor sarcasim plot characterization, and everything else.

Not just TOS, but I discovered Isaac Asimov's "Nine Tomorrows" in my junior high school library in the eighth grade. I shared it with my sister, and we both became voracious sci-fi readers. I read Asimov, Clarke and others...she devoured Heinlein, and others.

The first sci-fi i saw was Dr Who then i got hooked on Battlestar Galactica and that strange series V the one with the lizards. Trek(in all forms) is my all time favourite it just took a little longer to find. :eek:

Never had the chance to watch Star Trek as a kid. My family used to eagerly await our weekly dose of 'Blake Seven' on the ABC. My first taste of sci-fi.

Then we moved on to 'Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy'.

All of my friends were addicted to 'V' but I never bothered to watch.

Then I discovered many sci-fi/fantasy books in our school library and lapped them up. Heinlein, McCaffrey, Beagle, Asimov.....

Saw my first dose of Star Trek when I was in high school..Voyage Home...my boyfriend was a big fan. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Since I've left home I have become addicted to Star Trek in all forms.:eek:

Also like Red Dwarf, Babylon 5 and Star Gate.

Edited by starsinmyeyes

TNG brought me the furthest into the world of science fiction. I really liked Quantum Leap when it was on and I can remember watching Battlestar Gallactica too. Does anyone remember the series Voyagers where a guy and kid time travel to "fix" history? It was only one for part of one season but I liked that one too.

Star Trek was the real show that hurled me in, but Sliders (ive been looking everywhere for this site!), Star Wars, Earth Final Conflict and Andromeda, Babylon 5, Crusade are all good!

If we are talking movies Star Wars was what got me hooked on the genre. If we are talking TV shows, Battlestar Gallactica and Buck Rogers are what kept me watching. I also should acknowledge there were a lot of movies when I was younger that were more for kids that I loved like E.T., Flight of the Navigator, The Last Starfighter, Explorers to name a few....

I really loved the show Sliders too. Great show!

Star Wars got me hooked on sci-fi and then Star Trek Voyager got me hooked on startrek. When I saw Voyager for the first time I was like. :laugh::laugh: B) lol

If we are talking movies Star Wars was what got me hooked on the genre. If we are talking TV shows, Battlestar Gallactica and Buck Rogers are what kept me watching. I also should acknowledge there were a lot of movies when I was younger that were more for kids that I loved like E.T., Flight of the Navigator, The Last Starfighter, Explorers to name a few....

I really loved the show Sliders too. Great show!

hey now that sounds like me. i still remember the day i went to see E.T. the first time in california. that was, is a great movie. and the last starfighter was great too, and exploers wasnt that the one where they built a spaceship out of junk parts, and i cant quite recall the flight of the navigator, i know i know it, but cant think of it. as far as tv shows, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA WAS IT, and buck rogers was excellent too, at least till the started being on the ship full time instead of earth. i cant wait to check out the new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. :dude:

explorers wasnt that the one where they built a spaceship out of junk parts, and i cant quite recall the flight of the navigator, i know i know it, but cant think of it

Yes, Explorers was about a kid( I think a few of the kids in the movie shared the dream) who dreamt about blueprints to build a starship

Click for Spoiler:

.B000003KCU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Flight of the Navigator was about a kid who gets abducted by aliens and returns home years later. I found this synopsis for you to explain it better:

A charming Disney fantasy which revolves around the extraordinary experiences of 12-year-old David Freeman (Cramer), who in 1978 falls into a ravine and is knocked unconscious. When he comes to, it's 1986; and while he is still 12 years old, his little brother is now his big brother.

The folks at NASA are convinced that there is a connection between David's disappearance and the recent discovery of an alien spacecraft. Using space-age technology, they discover heretofore-unseen star charts imprinted on the young boy's brain. Escaping from NASA, David is called to the spaceship that carried him away eight years earlier (it was trying to take him home when its computer malfunctioned). With David aboard, the spacecraft takes off, and Max, the Hal-like computer that operates the ship, uses the star charts in the boy's brain to plot its return voyage

Click for Spoiler:

47793.1020.A.jpg

It was fun looking this stuff up. I found another movie I liked D.A.R.Y.L. and Cloak and Dagger which I have talked about before on this site.Here some other movie posters, sorry if this is boring anyone, but i started the trip down memory lane and got carried away:

Click for Spoiler:

.630018370X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

B00000IQW3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hi there :(

The first science fiction show I remember watching was Dr. Who. It would come on at the same time each week night and my brother loved it. The music in the opening credits always scared me, so I made sure I wasn't in the room when that music was on. I enjoyed watching it, even though I was only six at the time and most of it probably went straight over my head :dude:

My brother also loved the Star Wars Trilogy (back when it was released for the first time) and my sister and I had to endure those movies countless times. I got so sick of it and I still don't like anything to do with Star Wars!

When I was older, I got into The X-Files and soon became an 'X-Phile'. Now I'm slowly becoming a Trekkie. It took me a bit longer to realise that Star Trek is such a fantastic show but now I'm hooked,

Madam Captain out!

explorers wasnt that the one where they built a spaceship out of junk parts, and i cant quite recall the flight of the navigator, i know i know it, but cant think of it

Yes, Explorers was about a kid( I think a few of the kids in the movie shared the dream) who dreamt about blueprints to build a starship

Click for Spoiler:

.B000003KCU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Flight of the Navigator was about a kid who gets abducted by aliens and returns home years later. I found this synopsis for you to explain it better:

A charming Disney fantasy which revolves around the extraordinary experiences of 12-year-old David Freeman (Cramer), who in 1978 falls into a ravine and is knocked unconscious. When he comes to, it's 1986; and while he is still 12 years old, his little brother is now his big brother.

The folks at NASA are convinced that there is a connection between David's disappearance and the recent discovery of an alien spacecraft. Using space-age technology, they discover heretofore-unseen star charts imprinted on the young boy's brain. Escaping from NASA, David is called to the spaceship that carried him away eight years earlier (it was trying to take him home when its computer malfunctioned). With David aboard, the spacecraft takes off, and Max, the Hal-like computer that operates the ship, uses the star charts in the boy's brain to plot its return voyage

Click for Spoiler:

47793.1020.A.jpg

It was fun looking this stuff up. I found another movie I liked D.A.R.Y.L. and Cloak and Dagger which I have talked about before on this site.Here some other movie posters, sorry if this is boring anyone, but i started the trip down memory lane and got carried away:

Click for Spoiler:

.630018370X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

B00000IQW3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

yep explorers is what i thought it was, that was a good movie. flight of the navigator the poster is familiar i remember that but iim not sure about actually seeing it. cload and daggar and daryl were also good flicks.