Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Big actors - Trek Premise

Would a big star studded Star Trek cast work? Captain Bruce Willis, Commander Lucy Lui, and Doctor Brad Pitt. No? Yes?

Edited by prometheus

I'd rather see established characters. Either a series-based crew, a mixed crew, or a mixture of characters from one series instead of the full regular cast. New characters just wouldn't do it for me. It'd be like going to see a Spider-man movie without Spider-man.

As for seeing celebrity actors in a Trek movie? Sure, I'd love to see one or two. Maybe one could be a villian, with the other being a "new member" of the crew, much like how we had Saviik in the 2nd and 3rd movie. However, if they're going to put a celebrity in the movie, I want one who can pull off a character that people will care about, and not be there as an icon.

Here are some celebrities which I believe could pull off a Trek character.

Tom Cruise

Arnold Swartz-whatever (in a cameo, since he's a Govenator, erm, Govenor now)

Mel Gibson - He could be a crazy tactical officer, reminiscent of the "Lethal Weapon" movies, or play a convincing doctor.

That's all I have for now.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I don't think most big-name actors could pull off Star Trek properly.

Could you imagine Schwarzenegger or Stalone as a Klingon?Or a Starfleet commander? :clap:

I actually liked the idea of a totally new cast. It would give an angle that has been used extremely sparingly in the Star Trek universe. Betrayal among the crew. Think about it. You have no characters to preserve. The first officer could be a Romulan agent, as opposed to when characters are just being accused of terrible things. It won't turn out all right. This is something that no movie, thus far, would have likely gotten away with. Some one like Mel Gibson would be cool as an officer, Steve Bushemi as a wacked out engineer, Edward Norton as the decietful tactical officer, ...and...yeah maybe Harrison Ford as our brave Captain of the U.S.S Millenium.

Well did you know that Edie Murphy was going to be on star trek 4 but then paramont thought that it was not good to have two of their cash cows in the same movie.

the one cash cow was star trek and at the time Murphy was the other and the funny thing instead of doing star trek 4 he did the golden child.

:eek: No kidding? I never knew that! Who would have Eddie been cast as, any idea?

he was going to be a teacher that was teaching his class about whales and he was playing their calls in his class and thats what they heard and not how it was in the movie but it was a very early draft. I don't rember what book I read all this in but if I find out I will post it here.

Having big name stars in a movie is no guarantee for success. All of the people mentioned have been a stinker or two (or more) in their careers. Unfortunately the movie snobs of the world who turn their noses down at anything Trek without ever having seen any of the series/movies probably wouldn't go no matter who was in the roles.

Yep, he's the crewman/officer on the Excelsior who wakes up Capt. Sulu near the end of the movie...I don't quite remember the circumstances...I need to watch that one again.

"I'll Be Back!" - Arnie to the Xindi, as a MACO...

"Anybody else wanna negotiate?" Willis as a Borg.... from the 5th element?!

"Watch this!" - Ford to Archer remember when he said that and the hyperdrive didnt work?

"Get off my plane!" - Ford to the Borg air force one?

"That is highly illogical" - C-3P0 as a Vulcan.

Edited by trekzone

Trekzone.. those were funny!

Anywho, for the most part I don't think big star belong in Star Trek. It would make it a bit more obvious that Star Trek is just a show and not a universe. But one star as a villain is fine! Villians should be eccentric (usually) and big actors can usually put that off.

For a spunky low grade security officer, I think Colin Farrel would do good. But only as a small part like Lt. Hawke. Probably best just to leave him out tho.

I think Tom Cruise would make a good villian.

Russell Crowe has always been good at large commanding roles. I think he'd make a good enemy or maybe an admiral?

Oh, I know who'd make a good captain... that guy who played Charles Xavier in X-Men... oh what was his name.

I dislike Vin Diesel, he can't act... but thats why he'd make a good short lived red shirt.

Oh Oh, and Steve Buscemi as some kooky/insane alien cameo! That guy could pull off a funny Star trek alien any day... cause he seems like an alien in real life...

Hmmm, so hard to think of a woman character... maybe thats why most characters are male in Star Trek... Oh I know... Sigorny weaver... ok thats a joke!

You know, after looking at these... I'm thinking... bad idea... except for that Xavier one!

As for seeing celebrity actors in a Trek movie?  Sure, I'd love to see one or two.  Maybe one could be a villian, with the other being a "new member" of the crew, much like how we had Saviik in the 2nd and 3rd movie.  However, if they're going to put a celebrity in the movie, I want one who can pull off a character that people will care about, and not be there as an icon.

Actually, Kirstie Alley wasn't a celebrity yet when she filmed TWOK. Lt. Saavik was her first movie role. Ms. Alley's career took off after landing the role of Rebecca Howe on a television series called "Cheers," and that TV series commitment is the reason Robin Curtis took over the role of Saavik in TSFS and TVH.

As for seeing celebrity actors in a Trek movie?  Sure, I'd love to see one or two.  Maybe one could be a villian, with the other being a "new member" of the crew, much like how we had Saviik in the 2nd and 3rd movie.  However, if they're going to put a celebrity in the movie, I want one who can pull off a character that people will care about, and not be there as an icon.[/color

Actually, Kirstie Alley wasn't a celebrity yet when she filmed TWOK. Lt. Saavik was her first movie role. Ms. Alley's career took off after landing the role of Rebecca Howe on a television series called "Cheers," and that TV series commitment is the reason Robin Curtis took over the role of Saavik in TSFS and TVH.

Actually, Kirstie Alley was allready a regular on Cheers when she played Saavik in ST-II. She was recast for ST-III becuase she was asking for too much money. As for Kistie Alley not yet being a celebrity when she did ST-II? This I knew, I was just using Saavik as an example of how a celebrity could be added to the enseble cast in the movies. :biggrin:

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

As for seeing celebrity actors in a Trek movie?  Sure, I'd love to see one or two.  Maybe one could be a villian, with the other being a "new member" of the crew, much like how we had Saviik in the 2nd and 3rd movie.  However, if they're going to put a celebrity in the movie, I want one who can pull off a character that people will care about, and not be there as an icon.[/color

Actually, Kirstie Alley was allready a regular on Cheers when she played Saavik in ST-II. She was recast for ST-III becuase she was asking for too much money. As for Kistie Alley not yet being a celebrity when she did ST-II? This I knew, I was just using Saavik as an example of how a celebrity could be added to the enseble cast in the movies. :biggrin:

TWOK was released in 1982 but Kirstie Alley didn't join the cast of Cheers until 1987. Cheers premiered in 1982.

I know I posted earlier in this thread that having a big name is no guarantee of success as even the biggest names have had box office duds.

I can't really think of any big name that I would like to see brought in for any role. I wouldn't want some "superstar" coming in and becoming the focus of the movie/publicity to the detriment of the Trek actors.

I've got to agree with Takara_Soong. For the most part, big name actors in Star Trek doesn't work. In most situations, for me anyway, it helps if the faces are more less unfamiliar (with ecseption to the main cast and crew). But it's not impossible though, and if some one with a real knowledge of Trek and an understanding of what they're doing can pull it off, like Malcolm McDowell in Generations and Neal McDonough in his minor role as Hawk in First contact.

I too agree. I don't want actors appearing on Trek only for the Job or the Money, I want them be there because they like or love Trek or, at the very least, be doing it because they love the character they are playing otherwise, they should ship out.

ooooooo!!! what about series 6 being about section 31:

we could have Kiefer Sutherland playing Jack Sloan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, Kirstie Alley was allready a regular on Cheers when she played Saavik in ST-II. She was recast for ST-III becuase she was asking for too much money. As for Kistie Alley not yet being a celebrity when she did ST-II? This I knew, I was just using Saavik as an example of how a celebrity could be added to the enseble cast in the movies. :lol:

TWOK was released in 1982 but Kirstie Alley didn't join the cast of Cheers until 1987. Cheers premiered in 1982.

I know I posted earlier in this thread that having a big name is no guarantee of success as even the biggest names have had box office duds.

I can't really think of any big name that I would like to see brought in for any role. I wouldn't want some "superstar" coming in and becoming the focus of the movie/publicity to the detriment of the Trek actors.

Ah, well, not a Cheers expert. :blink:

I too agree. I don't want actors appearing on Trek only for the Job or the Money, I want them be there because they like or love Trek or, at the very least, be doing it because they love the character they are playing otherwise, they should ship out.

Well, I don't care what their reasons are for playing the part, just as long as they do the best they can to portay the character. That's why I like Tom Cruise. Despite being a celebrity, he still does a darn good job as an actor! Same for Arnold Swartz-whatever.