Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Did Voyager Get It Too Easy?

Voyager, for a ship alone, always looked pristine. After every battle there was minor damage in that they never lost a nacelle (a la Relaint in Khan) or a major bulkhead. Would you have liked to have seen them struggle a bit more in the last seasons like in Year of Hell or the Equinox? A half dead crew struggling for survival years away from home really tugs at the heart strings. A blind Tuvok, a dead Seven: now that would have been drama. Never have I ever laughed or felt like crying at Voyager. I feel the actors were capable of more but the circumstances and the stories just never opened up the floodgates. Voyager was essentially a flying hotel throughout with lovely lighting and immaculate carpets. They always briefly got into trouble but you always new they would get out of it. Imagine if in season 4, a big chunk of Voyager was lost forever. That would have put a spin on the show making it darker and more dangerous. Voyager should have got home by the skin of their teeth and no more, with a heavy price to pay.

Guest Ktrek

I agree here Prometheus! I would have liked the show more if it had been a little more realistic. I know it's not generally good to kill your stars off but it sure adds to realism and heavy drama that the fans won't forget. Voyager coming through virtually unscathed is unrealistic for sure. I wish I had liked Voyager more than I do. I'm hoping that when it's released on DVD that I will look at the show differently. :wow:

Ktrek

All right on the money prometheus. Generously speaking, I would say there were perhaps 20 noteworthy episodes in all. Here is the stickler though, I will, most likely, buy every season! I'm insane for Trek! :wow:

I'm hoping that when it's released on DVD that I will look at the show differently.

ME TOO!

Everyone in the Delta Quadrent ended up hating the Voyager crew. They were always interfering with active wars and getting caught in the middle of them. But the Engineering staff always managed to make the ship look brand new. A little hard to believe, eh? :wow:

They had to ration food becausethe replicators supposedly used lots of power. I mean, that was how they tried to inject suffering into the show. How much power does a flippin replicater use anyway? I think having to eat Neelix's poo-poo eggs and stuff was a load of hoey. The amount of power used in phasers and lifts and stuff ,not to mention when Voyager kept getting taken over by aliens, would have made the power used replicating a bowl of soup negligible. And i thought dilithium crystals went on for ever?

I don't think they had it easy at all..It seemed that just because the ship was always proper that we assume it was easy for them. The mental anguish alone ( Am I being over dramatic) was enough to cuz un-ease..True, Janeway did float over Prime Directive enough.

I agree Voyager should have been the most dangorous show, yet compared to DS9 and TNG Voyager was a joy ride most of the time. I also feel kind of the same way about Enterprise. The NX-01 is the only Human ship out as far as it is, they don't have shields, they don't have good weapons, transporters are still a new thing, ect... In TOS and even in TNG people got killed all the time. It made sense because they were doing very dangourous things. Enterprise however just isn't neer as scary as it should be. It's still a good show, I just think they should make it a bit darker.

i definitely agree Prometheus..

Voyager just had it to got damn easy, the whole series had that feeling.. the most troublesome issue was Neelix spicy food..

And the most dangerous and fearsome enemy was...... THE KAZON?! Oh, now that is really frightening.. :laugh:

I never thought of that, but it's true, Prometheus! IF they had a tiny little scratch on them, and it was always gone by the next episode (or scene for that matter). Also, TNG had more people die than VOY, I think, and they were in safe federation space half the time...I don't think I'd be happy-smilie-face if members of the crew died, but I think I'd have been happy-understanding if they had. (I don't handle death too well, though. I was even sad when Seska died and man did she annoy me)

As far a s scratches being gone by the next week, I don't think we were seeing them in real time, more than a week had passed for them. Being healed within an episode, Dermal Regenerators. :D

I think people are neglecting the logicstics of Voyager.... think about all the knowledge the people have gained in the late (what was it, 23rd century) Picard and Kirk (not to mention Archer) all survived terrible fates in their quadrant. Although that Voyager was lost, they had the spirit and determinition of kicking it through the Delta Quadrant. I believe that they made terrific allies that helped them through the way and made some daring mission tasks.

Grit and determination can take you a long way. Add in a few doses of good luck and it was doable. As long as they would be able to keep their systems functioning they did have a chance.

Voyager was 24th century, BTW.

I do agree that Voyager had it a little easy. I mean they were a great crew, but in the time they spent in the Delta quadrant we should have seen more damage to the ship. At least they could have left damage for an episode or two until they could find a friendly race or a place to put in to dock to make the repairs.

Bump ;)

Watching Year of Hell on rerun and it is by far one of the best episodes of Voyager. THAT should have been what the pilot was like. The named Anorax is a bit funny though. Like jackets.

We needed a darker more dramatic realistic series called Voyager. Even the name could have been better. Voyager is a bit blah. They might as well have called it Challenger or something.

Storylines, for example, where a crew member has Cancer and knows he or she is going to die without ever getting to say goodbye to their loved ones. An episode where the crew are so hungry and working so hard to keep the ship going that they are bad tempered and fight. Maybe fly on the wall style like they did with Galactica ...

... or they should have just gone the whole cheesy hog and had a concussed Janeway wake up (bun and all) in the Badlands with her First Officer helping her up saying "are you all right mamn" and her croaking "I had the stangest dream ..." [ouch] ;)