Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Would You Prefer To Live On Ds9...

I'd prefer living on Deep Space Nine.The opportunities for meeting new people,and for shopping on the Prominade,or just hanging out with friends there would make it all worth it.On a starship you don't have a lot of options after your shift ends.You either go and sit in the lounge,walk through the arboretum,go to your quarters,or if your lucky and its your turn,spend an hour in the holodeck (boring).

And I know this makes no sense,but I am really claustrophobic and Deep Space Nine just seems so much more wide-open and roomy.I'd feel as if I were trapped on board a starship.

Although DS9 would be a GREAT place to live, I don't think I'd want to - mainly because, in an attack, it doesn't have quite the same maneuvering ability that a starship has. :thumbs: :blink:

Although DS9 would be a GREAT place to live, I don't think I'd want to - mainly because, in an attack, it doesn't have quite the same maneuvering ability that a starship has. :thumbs:  :blink:

You have a point.But then again,Deep Space Nine has ten times the firepower than an ordinary starship,so it hardly needs to run or evade.

Although DS9 would be a GREAT place to live, I don't think I'd want to - mainly because, in an attack, it doesn't have quite the same maneuvering ability that a starship has. :huh:  :wow:

You have a point.But then again,Deep Space Nine has ten times the firepower than an ordinary starship,so it hardly needs to run or evade.

I agree. DS9 did not need to run or evade and the advantage of the station over a starship is that the starship is always racing off to find trouble and the station waits for the trouble to come to them.

I have to say that I would prefer to live on DS9 than on a Starship. It seems to be my dream these days to live in a city in space which is what DS9 is..Yes, I know it'll never happen but it's fun to have dreams like that. :wow:

I haven't been to 'The Experience' yet..But, if I ever get there I know I will not want to leave..I'd probably try to find my quarters.. :blink:

You never know, it could happen. We could make a DS9 size space station now, but it would cost trillions and there would be no artificial gravity. I would like to live on DS9 even though I've never seen an episode from what I have read in the Star Trek Encyclopedia and heard from other sources I would love to live there.

Edited by Captain Holland

Hi there :eek:

I would like to live on a starship, preferably Voyager because it was smaller than the Enterprise. However, I would not like to be stuck on a ship that was lost in the Delta Quadrant or anywhere else where it was almost impossible to get home again. If I knew there was even a small risk that the ship was going to get lost somewhere or be destroyed, or there was a chance that I might die, I would think twice about going on the mission. I guess there is always that risk though so I think I would live on a starship if it wasn't going to be involved in any armed conflict.

Deep Space Nine would be a great place to live too. At least there would be no chance of the station getting lost somewhere. Also, its like a small city and everything that I need would be easily accessible. I could even do some 'trading' with Quark for stuff that wasn't easy to get elsewhere. If I needed to take a holiday, I could travel through the wormhole to where ever I wanted to go. There are pros and cons about living on DS9 and on a starship and there would be risks involved living in either place.

Linda

I would have to say Deep Space Nine.I know the Enterprise has a lounge and holodecks,but it would just be so much nicer to relax after work by having a few drinks at Quarks,then a game of darts with Bashir and O'Brien,or a little Dabo.Or,if you have more time and extra credits,a little holosuite action.

It would also be great seeing all the myriad species of the galaxy strolling along the promenade.That,and occasional day trips to Bajor.

Deep Space Nine has holodecks too, although Julian's 007 programs sound a bit too silly for me!! The Enterprise seemed to have easier access to holodecks, or at least we got to see the crew involved in them more than on DS9. I rather liked the astrometrics lab on Voyager, it was like a telescope with a big tv screen, minus the telescope. I loved how Seven could just push a few buttons and within nano seconds, she had an image of the nearest nebula or exploding star on the view screen.

I wish I had my own holodeck, transporter and replicator. Life would be so much easier with those, even if I had to choose one out of the three, I would be happy.

Linda

I'd want to live on a starship....a Cardassian starship,where I could be around like-minded sentients. :eek:

Even though,Terok Nor would feel cozy,too.Provided we made a few adjustments,such as penning in the Bajorans,dimming the lighting,and raising the heat a little.

I would choose the Enterprise you could have days of endless fun trying to persuade Picard to break the prime directive and wooshing off around the universe.Another plus point is it looks much cleaner and brighter i always wanted to take a can of spray polish to DS9. :eek:

Well I would love to live on a starship, as long as it wasn't going to get lost anywhere. Or be destroyed by some ferocious aliens.

The Enterprise or Voyager would be great starships to live on, although I would prefer Voyager because its smaller. I would want to visit the holodecks all the time but I don't think Picard or Janeway would allow people to be in there all the time. Maybe I could request to run diagnostics on the holodecks all the time. I would be able to sort of 'forget' to finish running the diagnostic and run a program aswell. This would also be a great opportunity to report 'apparent' malfunctions in the holodeck (when there isn't) because this would allow me to spend even more time in there :lol: I'm sure Janeway would realise, sooner or later and I would lose all my holodeck privelages. On the other hand, The Enterprise is a bigger ship and it would be harder for Picard to find out what I'm up to................. B)

I agree with you, it would be fun trying to persuade Picard to break the prime directive. Whooshing off around the universe appeals to me aswell, as long as the ship didn't get lost anywhere, with no chance of getting out!!

Linda

Did a mod bump this? It's up at the top of new posts and the last post was five years ago. :Hmmm...:

Personally, the Ent-D would be a lot more fun IMO for any bridge officer, and the only thing that I would find preferable about DS9 over Ent-D is the Promenade with the high ceilings...I might eventually feel boxed in on the Enterprise if it weren't for the holodecks, bridge, engineering, and the cargo/shuttle bays. As far as everything else, though...the two are pretty similar. They're huge, have menial tasks for the underlings, are at the forefront of the federation (DS9 at the frontlines and Ent-D as the flagship), and have a large population in comparison to most other space-born environments run by Starfleet (excluding starbases.)

Edited by Eratosthenes

Did a mod bump this? It's up at the top of new posts and the last post was five years ago. :Hmmm...:

Yeah, looked like a good topic to bring back to the top.

I dunno. After a bad experience with getting a physical from a lady doctor, I'd be more comfortable with Bashir. Still, constant visits from Kai Winn would probably irritate me, not to mention all the controls being in Cardassian, and that the station was always on the verge of falling apart, held together only by Miles O'Brien's spit and bailing wire, I'd probably go with the Enterprise D.

Ew sounds unpleasant. I've only ever gotten physicals by male doctors (not a choice, it just happened that way) and some of them were odd to say the least.....

I say DS9.

Every so often, Star Trek does a "leave the comfort zone" ep where the cast gets shipwrecked or kidnapped and have to survive somewhere hellish. The leading cause of these eps is being on a darn ship. We see the likelihood of that scenario drastically cut down when people live on a a station.

For sharing in the exploration of space-the Enterprise. Maybe i'd even get to sit in Ten-Forward, and have a cup of Joe with Will and Geordi, make friends with an accepting, open person like Data....but DS9 would be more secure, in some respects. Heck, I might get the Chief to let me join he and Julian-at least once-waging the Battle of Brittain, or slugging it out at the Alamo....and catch Odo do his morph thing once in a while!

I suppose one replicator on the Enterprise D was essentially the same as having a complete Mall. Remember Worf was agonising over a wedding gift at what was like an "industrial strength" replicator? Didn't he have to use some of his "credits" to do this? I cannpt recall. I presume that every crew member had credits or something which they could use to replicate stuff at this replicator (unlike the more domestic one in each crew quarters where it seems you could replicate as much food and small items as you like - eg, cups of tea, ice cream, cups. Maybe, in order to control energy consumption, each crew member was given these credits and each item was then valued in credits. And energy patterns for items (particularly larger, complex items) were only programmed into these "industrial sized" replicators.

I know that replicator use was particularly rationed on Voyager given the energy shortages in being so far from home and dillithium supplies. I recall Chakotay making Janeway a pocket watch using his rationed credits or something like that. I noted also from Voyager that they were able to replicate spare parts using some form of "industrial replicator".

Is shopping on line the new replicators? Or rather the equivalent of our time? Identify what you want, spend your credits and it will materialise - allbeit in the post or by delivery!

I'd rather walk round shops - therefore, to return to the original point, the Promenade is superior in this regard. The social element of shoppin gis much better. The ingenuity of Garak the tailor; the songs of the Klingon operatic at the Klingon restaurant; the fun of Dabo girls and potent mixes at the Ferengi Bar; etc etc. Much better than just spedning time by your glorified microwave come Argos catelogue!

On a starship you don't have a lot of options after your shift ends.You either go and sit in the lounge,walk through the arboretum,go to your quarters,or if your lucky and its your turn,spend an hour in the holodeck

Wouldn't the same apply to a space station though? Except there you have to pay for everything as well.

Even so I to would prefer Deep Space Nine in the long run. Always in close proximity to habitatble planet, and a fairly pleasant one at that.

But mostly what appeals compared with the Enterprise is that the station seems to be so much loftier with its open floors. High ceiling and not as much stuffy padding as they have on the Enterprise also favours the station. The same goes for a less rigid social structure. Plus they have Dabo girls and Argilian masage facilities and you won't find those on a starship.

Probably DS9. Whilst it could definitely do with a bit more lighting (really, one is liable to trip over and break their neck! :roflmao: ) it seems more secure and friendly. The Enterprise is always flying off into battle, or running into killer anomalys, so I think I'd feel a lot better living on DS9. Plus there are new people from all over the galaxy coming to the station every day, Quark's, holosuites. What else could you want?

Yeah, Deep Space Nine has the shops and social life. And in that respect it may be more fun. But I've never been one for getting out, going to bars, or shopping. Besides, the Enterprise is much brighter and friendlier! It doesn't get tied up in politics as much and you would get to visit so many placed and see so many things. I think it might be easier to make friends on a starship, too. And I'm sure there are more things to do than what they just showed on the show. People tend to go a little crazy when stuck in close quarters with no sun light and nothing to do. Remember they always had plays and concerts and poetry readings and things. I'll bet there were lots of clubs/associations and such. There was probably something going on every night. I'm sure they had sports/fitness facilites separate from the holodecks and maybe even a restaurant or cafeteria apart from Ten Forward. That ship is huge and almost like a city in its own right. Plus, remember, there were families on board that ship... kids even. I'm sure Starfleet provided many amenities for its officers and their families.

So I say Enterprise. :roflmao: