Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

DS9 Movie Idea

I just thought of something. Assuming Movie #11 is a DS9 centerred movie, how about Sisko returning in a mirror-universe story. Maybe he joined the Prophets to learn how to battle the Pah-wraiths in the mirror universe in which they control the wormhole with the Prophets trapped on Bajor? I think this would make an excellent idea for #11. So, what do you DS9 fans think? Also, do you think it would do as well with Trek fans who didn't watch DS9 and the regular movie goers?

Well just by the general look of it, you have an okay episode of DS9. The question is how are non-fans going to react. The movies thus far have been pretty universal about explaining things and keeping from re-explaining things so that they aren't totally lost. The cross-over universe, and the pah-wrathes, and the prophets, and everything else could be bad enough to confuse even a good number of Trek fans.

I'm not all "in-the-know" about DS9, and I had no prob keeping up with the Pah-Wraith/Mirror-universe stories.

All we'd need is a quick little prolouge, like at the beginning of DS9's pilot, explaining how the series ended. The mirror-universe really wouldn't need explaining, just say it's a new one that they haven't visited.

I think it'd be fiarly easy to follow. :blink:

I'm not all "in-the-know" about DS9, and I had no prob keeping up with the Pah-Wraith/Mirror-universe stories.

All we'd need is a quick little prolouge, like at the beginning of DS9's pilot, explaining how the series ended.  The mirror-universe really wouldn't need explaining, just say it's a new one that they haven't visited.

I think it'd be fiarly easy to follow. :blink:

I think this kind of movie would be harder for "non-fans" to follow then a Dominion or Founders based story. I thought the Mirror Universe episodes were ok but they were never a favorite of mine.

But I do think you just made my point that a short prologue bringing everyone "up to date" would do away with any confusion that anyone might have had because of DS9's "continuing story" format.

As much as I want a DS9 movie though I also kind of doubt one will be made. The last TNG based movie wasn't a big enough hit and I don't think Paramount will have the courage to take a bold step. DS9 didn't really fit into what some of TPTB thought Star Trek should be so those same "PTB" will look past the fact that in many of the industries minds DS9 was the best Trek series of them all and (not counting TOS) was the only series left unresolved.

I think it's a great idea for a movie but I also agree with VGB that it would be a lot easier for them to make a Domain/Founder story. Even with a prologue there are too many people out there who would never pick up on the concept of the mirror universe. That is people among the mass movie viewing public and not people of the loyal star trek universe. Which unfortunatly is what the big wigs seem to want movies to be made for, which is why we probably won't get a DS9 movie :blink:

All this being said...

If there really is an alternat universe I would like to believe that in it there is a DS9 movie already in production and that it will be coming out really soon!

I think it's a great idea for a movie but I also agree with VGB that it would be a lot easier for them to make a Domain/Founder story. Even with a prologue there are too many people out there who would never pick up on the concept of the mirror universe. That is people among the mass movie viewing public and not people of the loyal star trek universe. Which unfortunatly is what the big wigs seem to want movies to be made for, which is why we probably won't get a DS9 movie  :blink:

All this being said...

If there really is an alternat universe I would like to believe that in it there is a DS9 movie already in production and that it will be coming out really soon!

Well, I myself think the Dominion story arc has been played out. I want something fresh and origianl.

I agree that the Mirror universe would be a little hard for non fans to follow. I myself have a friend that I am trying to induct into the world of Trek and I often have to stop an episode and explain back story for him to understand what is going on, and the Mirror universe episodes have been particulary confusing to him.

Well, I myself think the Dominion story arc has been played out. I want something fresh and origianl.

If you aren't "in-the-know" how can you say the Dominion story is "played out"? The Mirror Universe is more of an obscure story that might be interesting for a Trek fan to watch but likely wouldn't gain much interest from the general movie fans.

The Dominion/Founder story though has a great villain with the Jem'Hadar, and they can have the Federation come to the rescue of the now defeated Founders who are in danger of the Jem'Hadar destroying their "fallen gods".

I just see more potential in a Dominion story then a Mirror story.

im with you the mirror universe would be difficult for most to absorb. as far as a simple explanation CJLP, its not that simple. most people i watch movies, or shows with have a HARD time picking up on simple things, im constantly hearing, what, why, where, when, and any number of other questions. so something that in depth would also be lost dut to the general public not being familiar with the regular cast, in the right universe, much less the significance of the mirror universe. not a bad idea for an eppy, but not quite for a movie.

"The crew have enterred a "mirror universe", a reallity just like ours, but different."

How is that hard for a non-DS9 fan to understand?

Well,hypothecitcally, if I were in charge of doing this script I would want to find a way to introduce the parrallel universe, that doesn't make the audience (trekkers and non-trek fans alike)feel like they're in 1st grade. I would have reservations about having a sequence where the theory of the Mirror-universe laid out and explained to a new character in the movie. Unless in was crafted extremely carefully, it would likely fall apart. Thing about when Geordi, explained what the Theloron(sp) energy woulpd due to the Enterprise, in Nemisis.

And then there is the question of why the prophets are concerned about the pah-wraiths in a parrallel universe.

im with you the mirror universe would be difficult for most to absorb. as far as a simple explanation CJLP, its not that simple. most people i watch movies, or shows with have a HARD time picking up on simple things, im constantly hearing, what, why, where, when, and any number of other questions. so something that in depth would also be lost dut to the general public not being familiar with the regular cast, in the right universe, much less the significance of the mirror universe. not a bad idea for an eppy, but not quite for a movie.

Well, I'm used to people who can actually keep up with a movie. <_<

i wish most people i watched movies with were that able to understand. :blink: oh well

i wish most people i watched movies with were that able to understand. :) oh well

The only movie I've watched with friends, where they got confused, was The Time Machine, and their only confusion was the time perriod. I guess they blinked when the camera pans in on the device that shows the date. :blink:

"The crew have enterred a "mirror universe", a reallity just like ours, but different."

How is that hard for a non-DS9 fan to understand?

I have no problem understanding it myself but then again I'm a die hard star trek fan. For us things like the mirror universe, clones, and time travel make as much sense as brushing our teeth in the morning. However to the NON-SCI-FI type these concepts are very confusing. The number of people I know who told me that movies like "Total Recall", "12 Monkeys," "fight Club," and even "The Matrix" were really hard to follow makes me believe that a mirror universe story wouldn't go over well. I had no problem following these movies, but that's just how my brain works. We're talking about the people who think of Independance Day and Armagadon as GERAT sci-fi movies. It's sad but the mess public can only handle thinking so much in one movie.

Edited by Tank

You guys need to give people creditt and assume they're not stupid, I'm not saying you think they're stupid. I've got friends who aren't sci-fi fans, but can keep up with sci-fi movies without getting confused. I myself prefer an intelligent and complicated sci-fi movie, not a dumbed down action movie. <_<

You guys need to give people creditt and assume they're not stupid, I'm not saying you think they're stupid.  I've got friends who aren't sci-fi fans, but can keep up with sci-fi movies without getting confused.  I myself prefer an intelligent and complicated sci-fi movie, not a dumbed down action movie. <_<

I can see your point, but you have to keep in mind that any movies that are made have to be geared toward the general public in order to survive, and that your friends are apparently not indicative of the general public. I know alot of people that would not be able to follow the story without giving alot of background information that would cause the movie to be boring for most of them, thus meaning that the movie would not be recommended to thier friends thus causing the movie to fail.

I just don't see why a DS9 "mirror universe" movie would be hard to fallow. All of the DS9 mirror universe episodes were, mostly, stand alone and easy to fallow. I believe the same would apply for a DS9 movie. If there is a DS9 movie, perhaps it would be better to do the "mirror universe" idea as a sequal instead of the first DS9 movie?

You guys need to give people creditt and assume they're not stupid, I'm not saying you think they're stupid.  I've got friends who aren't sci-fi fans, but can keep up with sci-fi movies without getting confused.  I myself prefer an intelligent and complicated sci-fi movie, not a dumbed down action movie. <_<

If I remember correctly haven't you been saying that one reason a DS9 movie wouldn't be likely was because of it's "arc" driven style and that because of that general audiences wouldn't be able to pick up and follow the story?

I just don't think it would work to make a movie from a somewhat obscure arc plot that only ran about 3 or 4 episodes in a 7 year span. Not for general audiences anyway. It would be great for DS9 fans, but not non-fans.

If I remember correctly haven't you been saying that one reason a DS9 movie wouldn't be likely was because of it's "arc" driven style and that because of that general audiences wouldn't be able to pick up and follow the story?

I just don't think it would work to make a movie from a somewhat obscure arc plot that only ran about 3 or 4 episodes in a 7 year span. Not for general audiences anyway. It would be great for DS9 fans, but not non-fans.

Why would it be a problem for non-fans? Heck, if they have the right writers, then they should be able to write a movie, so people who never saw DS9, could thoroughly enjoy it.

Why would it be a problem for non-fans? Heck, if they have the right writers, then they should be able to write a movie, so people who never saw DS9, could thoroughly enjoy it.

My question though is, haven't you been saying all along that a DS9 movie was less likely because of DS9's "Arc driven" format, and that it would be harder for fans to follow along? If that's the case for a DS9 movie in general then what changed your mind in favor of a specific arc like the Mirror Universe to become a movie?

I don't consider the mirror-universe episodes to be an arc, but rather self contained stories.  This is why I think a "mirror-universe" story could work better than continuing an existing story.

The Mirror Universe isn't an Arc? What do you consider an arc?

First DS9 Mirror Universe Episode was "Crossover" in season 2. We learn that the TOS episode altered the whole direction of that universe and Humans were enslaved and forced to work in the ore mines and on Terok Nor.

In the second episode "Through the Looking Glass" from season 3 Smiley (O'Brien) abducts Sisko because they need help killing or kidnapping Jennifer Sisko because she is working for the Alliance.

In the Third episode "Shattered Mirror" Jennifer Sisko comes to our side to lure Jake into the mirror Universe so they can blackmail Cpt. Sisko into making their Defiant work and they can defend Terok Nor, which they captured from the Alliance.

And in the last episode "The Emperor's New Cloak" the Grand Nagus is held hostage to force Quark into giving the Alliance a cloaking device so they can destroy the Terrans.

I don't know about anyone else but to me that's an Arc.

The 4th mirror universe episode is a different mirror universe episode, because in the 3rd, the Klingons have cloaks, while they don't in the 4th.

That's a minor story point, the overall theme of the DS9 mirror universe is an Arc. It follows the same general story plot, doesn't it? Out of curiosity, have you seen all of the Mirror Universe Episodes?

Also, where in Shattered Mirror do you see a cloak? They don't have one, cloaking technology doesn't exist in the Mirror Universe. That's why Quark had to steal Martok's and take it to them.

I was under the impression that several ships had cloaks in "SHaterred Mirror".  Been years since I've seen the episode.

I just watched the episode a couple weeks ago and saw no Cloaks, I'll re-watch it tonight to be 100% sure but at this point I'm 95% sure there are no cloaks. If there were then "The Emperors New Cloak" would have been a major blunder episode.

But cloak or no cloak, the Mirror Universe in general was a mini-arc within DS9. A movie could be done on it but I don't believe it would make for an overall successful movie with the general public.

man i really wish i could get the ds9 seasons on dvd, well after i start working again. that sounds great i think i remember 1 or 2 of those but not all four.

You guys need to give people creditt and assume they're not stupid, I'm not saying you think they're stupid.  I've got friends who aren't sci-fi fans, but can keep up with sci-fi movies without getting confused.  I myself prefer an intelligent and complicated sci-fi movie, not a dumbed down action movie. :clap:

I think Tommy Lee Jones put it best in Men In Black when he said "A person is smart. People are stupid." (or something like that). I'm sure that you have friends that could follow the movie just fine but I'm afrade that might not apply to "most" people. It's just the sad truth of the world...

I for one agree with you that an intellegent movie would be better then a dumbedown action flick.