Sign in to follow this  
subcommanderbeavis

OMG...some people

I hope to God I never have to rent a home for myself again,EVER (and since I own my home,I shouldn't have to)...

I spent today checking out homes for rent in the Jonesboro Sun's classifieds for my friend Jorge.The attitudes of some of the real estate companies and private owners shocked me.Its as if people who smoke and pet owners have become the scum of the Earth,because the second they hear that you smoke or own a dog,that's it amigo,hit the road...

Jorge has great references,the guy works hard,makes good money...but none of that matters because he and hiw wife both smoke,and the family own 2 dogs (that they always keep outside),a pair of caged love birds,and two cats.Not a single solitary home listed in the paper would have them for those reasons :)

I know some folks rent a place and tear it up and the owners are worried about renting to folks like that,but this is ridiculous...

What's next?Homes reserved only for vegetarians?Homes only for people of certain religious beliefs?Or only for people with certain political or environmental viewpoints?

If I ever get a bigger home and decided to rent out this place,the only thing I'm concerned about is if the renter has my rent,has a good credit history...and that's about it,because I'd have home owners insurance for the rest.

Whats happening is descrimination against pet owners and smokers which should be illegal.

What's next?Homes reserved only for vegetarians?Homes only for people of certain religious beliefs?Or only for people with certain political or environmental viewpoints?

The way things seem to be going, it wouldn't surprise me.

We had the same problem a few years ago, but only the dog was a problem. I've seen kids do more damage to property than some pets! Luckily we were able to buy a mobile home, so now we can pretty much do what we want. The park owner doesn't want too many pets, but they aren't forbidden, and our neighbors smoke - but I can't say what!

I live in a rented house it really bugs me we are not allowed a dog or cat even though the letting agents inspect the house every 3 to 6 months. I respect the position of the land lord and their worry that an animal would mess up their house but it still sucks as i would love a little dog :)

Home owners concerns for their property aside,I think it is absurd that they should require so much from prospective renters.Security checks,credit reports (for everyone in the family,including the CHILDREN :) ),letters of reference,and a rental agreement with terms such as allowing snap inspections,and dictating that pets are not allowed,or no smokers (even if they smoke out of doors on the porch or in the yard....I actually saw that on a rental contract signed by my brother-in-law earlier this year!).

Even for the shabbiest of dwellings.

I do own two homes.One here in Santa Cruz,which I and my family live in,and another in Shaver Lake,California left to me by a late uncle.I don't rent the place,but if I did I'd be fine with a single credit check,and security check on the primary renter and terms such as pets must be kept out of doors (as for smoking,I could care less.I fancy the occasional pipe,myself).

The situation started me this past spring when I helped my brother-in-law relocate.I had no idea it was so difficult to rent now.When I first became engaged to my wife (we were both around 19-years old at the time),we found a beautiful little apartment for $250 a month,plus we paid our own utilities.We weren't put through anything more than a meeting with the landlord,a talk about the terms of renting the apartment,and paying our first and last months rent,plus a security deposit.We weren't forbidden from owning pets.or told not to smoke,or drink,etc.Thats the way it should be.

I agree that renting has become way to difficult. Myself I cannot rent anywhere in my name, because I am having a dispute with one of my previous landlords that wants to charge me for damage that was already there when I moved in. All of my landlords have stated that I always paid my rent on time, but I am pretty much blocked from renting anything in my own name.

I understand the sentiments being expressed here but insurance and liability issues aren't so easily put aside. If you're a male under age 25 you may be the safest driver in the world but you pay insurance based on how males under age 25 drive. The same reasoning applies to pet owners and smokers.

The truth is smoke does damage home furnishings - it decreases the life of carpets and drapes - not to mention increasing the risk of fire. The scent is difficult to remove limiting the rentability when the current tenant moves out.

Some places allow cats or small dogs with a pet deposit. I once went with a friend was looking at a potential home - the previous owners had been cat owners - I almost gagged when I walked in the door. I guess she thought she could get the odor out but I would have stopped looking right then.

Large dogs present an even greater liability issue. When you assume your own responsibility then you know how you care for your animals - but I wouldn't risk being sued in a wrongful death suit on how a stranger keeps his/her animal.

As for smoking outdoors. I live in an apartment and I can't open my door or windows on the few days we have that are cool enough to do so because my neighbors are smoking away on the patio and the smoke comes right in. I want a place of my own so I can sit outside or open my windows and enjoy the sunlight. Some of you think it's a shame to discriminate but I think it's a shame to pay as much as I do for rent and not be able to go outside or open my windows.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Maybe it's becuase they don't want the rented homes, which you don't own, to smell like cigerratte smoke, have pee stains on the floor, smell like dog poo, and so forth?  It's possible ya know. :blink:

They don't want a smelly home or stains.Okay,I see your point.Then we shall have to ban all babies and children in general as well as pets.

Balderdash.

Pets can be kept outside,as I've said already.And smokers can be made to agree to smoke out of doors,also as I've already said.This is simple discrimination,nothing more.

Mark my words,it will get worse.Before long there will be whole lists of things renters can and cannot have or do.Simply because someone is renting your house does not entitle you to lord over them,and dictate their lives for them.

Banana's click here! :wow:

Click for Spoiler:

I'm glad your feeling better!Good to have you back posting!

Stardate:213877.6

Yeh thats pretty bad.Me and my family went through something similar.

A while back we were planning on moving so we were looking for places.We found this place that was perfect.My mom talked to the guy and things were settled out.Then he found out she had me.He went right off and said no cause the last people that were there thier teenage kids destroyed the place.So he wouldnt rent to us cause i was a teenage kid.

Is that stupid or what :blink:

Pets can be kept outside,as I've said already.And smokers can be made to agree to smoke out of doors,also as I've already said.This is simple discrimination,nothing more.

Mark my words,it will get worse.Before long there will be whole lists of things renters can and cannot have or do.Simply because someone is renting your house does not entitle you to lord over them,and dictate their lives for them.

I understand you're annoyed by this...but people have a right to protect their property. And there is alwasy another side to that "rights" coin - what about the rights of others in the community - not to kept up all night by barking dogs - not to have the paint and their cars scratched by neighbors cats....the right to have dinner on your patio without being choked by your neighbors cigarettes? And even people that smoke outside still risk starting fires.

Of course I live in a rural county - where owning a big dog is as common as breathing so we don't have a lot of restrictions.

And don't forget the world has changed since the implementation of the Homeland Security Act....background checks are a lot more prevalent, and renters are prime suspects anymore.

If we follow your logic,TUH,then we should have to get rid of everything that anybody may be annoyed by,including the sounds of children playing (I have an elderly neighbor who hates to hear kids playing,as its "too loud",in the middle of the day).I have several cats.They have never scratched the paint off of my car,or any neighbors car.As for smoking,here in California you have a better chance of getting cancer from simply breathing the toxis soup we call air,than inhaling second-hand smoke.

The Homeland Security Act is fine,but I don't see as how it applies to American citizens renting homes or apartments.

"Oh,my God!She has bad credit...send her to Guantanimo!She's a Taliban!" :blink:

If it bothers a person so much to rent their property out,maybe they ought not to rent,as that seems the safest course of action.Otherwise,buy insurance (Lord knows rents are so outrageously high nowadays that any variety of insurance should be affordable for the landlord or leasing company).

The Homeland Security Act is fine,but I don't see as how it applies to American citizens renting homes or apartments.

"Oh,my God!She has bad credit...send her to Guantanimo!She's a Taliban!" :blink:

Really? Many of the 9-11 highjackers rented apartments in Florida. Anything that indicates an intended short term stay...short lease periods, mobile phones versus having land lines installed etc are all "flags" - there was a list of these signs to look for. I was reading the other day about how hard it is to open a new checking account after the Homeland Security Act so all aspects of our lives are affected

The credit report is obviously to determine if you're at risk for not paying your rent not for homeland security.

And no I did not say we should get rid of annoying behavior but there is a big distinction between getting rid of annoying behavior and requiring someone else to assume liability for it. As I stated in my original post If you want to own a rottweiller - you can pay for the insurance and make sure you keep him secured...but you a property owner shouldn't be required to accept that liability particularly when you have no control over how the animal is kept.

I don't know where you live but it is almost impossible to get homeowners insurance in Florida to begin with. And if you do get it...you're only covered once and then you're dropped.

And yes people can get out of the rental business...that's just the point - if you try to force them to accept liability for certain types of activity they may decide it's easier not to rent. That will leave a lot of people without a place to live

As for my Logic - you're very concerned with the rights of smokers and dog owners - I was only pointing out that there other people with rights. And I have watched neighbors cats jump up on my car when I get home to sit on the warm hood - and scratch the hood.

:blink: another day...nothing.

I think I'm going to suggest my buddy just look for an apartment.

I hate these $#@!ing landlords we've been dealing with.I'd love to see them in the position their propective renters are in,and then see how high and mighty they act.I'd think less than a third of people could stand up to their ridiculous standards.

Oh well,f#@! 'em.

(and we wonder why poor people in certain countries string up landowners after a revolution occurs.)

That's the right attitute. No, I'm not being sarcastic. I'd never live in someone else's house just for these reasons. On the other hand, I'd also never rent my place out. I live in an apartment mainly because I don't want to deal with intrusive landlords. I remember looking at one place a few years back and the landlord asked me about my sexual behaviour because foreigners (I live in Japan) are just too noisy. He also questioned my ability to understand his culture. Well, I decided to pay the price and get an apartment (the price is basically 5 months rent that you'll likely never see again) just to avoid having to deal with him.

Basically, they can say whatever they want and there's nothing you can do about it. The only hope we have is to say no to their conditions. On the other hand, if I were renting a place, I'd insist on non-smokers and no pets (sooner or later, accidents happen).

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

My move from southern California to New Mexico was pure hell,thanks largely to the near impossibility of finding a home to rent (I could have had my pick of apartments,but I'm spoiled to living in a house).One house I fell in love with,but did not rent belonged to a woman who wanted to know about my religious beliefs.I had to be a Christian (I am),I couldn't smoke (I do),I couldn't drink (I do),I couldn't have "female" company that was not related to me,or my wife ( :blink: ,Yeah,right!),and I couldn't play certain types of music (basically all the kinds of music I love :wow: )...it was just so stupid,it was funny.

I eventually found a nice little 1-bedoom,1-bath in a respectable neighborhood...though the rent is steeper than I like.

I do feel that landlords are becoming a lot more discriminating.Their reasons?Well,I doubt the majority of them are purposely putting the thumbscrews to potential renters.Though I have met a few who seem to enjoy making unreasonable demands of their tenants,such as repeated walk-throughs of the property,etc.

I once lived in a flat that allowed pets,provided the renter paid a $25 per pet,per month additional rent.

When it all comes down to it,these homes are the owners' possessions and naturally they don't want them destroyed by careless tenants.Insurance is fine,but its always preferable to not have to repair your property in the first place.

If we must blame someone,blame the horrible tenants who through their destructive actions have brought all of us to this state of affairs in the first place.

im a homeowner, and i love it.if i move to VA i dread probably haveing to rent before i can buy again. a buddy of mine owns rental property, and i used to bust his b**ls but as time went on i found out why he is the way he is. at least in ny being a LL is hell. the LL has no rights while the tenant has all the rights. i do agree that saying you cant drink cant listen to music cant do a lot of things is ridiculous. the smoking i can kinda see, but still is out there. but on the other hand at least in ny the LL has to really look out for himself becaue if you get in, its hell to get you out if your destroying the place. its kind of a damned if you do damned if you dont kind of thing. no easy sollution, but the credit check is rather daft. even people with less than perfect credit need a place to live. and what about those that have bad credit only due to a bad time in their life, such as a job loss, gee thats not too common now a days.

Maybe it's becuase they don't want the rented homes, which you don't own, to smell like cigerratte smoke, have pee stains on the floor, smell like dog poo, and so forth?  It's possible ya know. :wow:

They don't want a smelly home or stains.Okay,I see your point.Then we shall have to ban all babies and children in general as well as pets.

Balderdash.

Banana's click here! :wow:

Click for Spoiler:

It's not discrimination. How can one be sure a smoker will smoke inside? Besides, you can tell your kids not to scribble on the walls, you can't tell your dog not to pee on the carpet. Gosh, I'm so tired of people yelling "discrimination!" at the drop of a hat. :blink:

we had to rent a house when we had our house built and i have to agree with property owners who wont allow smoking. the last people to use the house had smoked andit turned out that i had a horrible reaction to the smok, giving me constant asthma attacks for the two years we lived there.

Well, look at it from the side of the person who is renting out the property.

I remember one time, my family owned a house. We had to move away for a while because of my father's job, but we knew we were going to come back in a few years. Instead of selling our house and then coming back and looking for a new one, we decided to rent it for the few years that we were gone.

Of course we didn't want people who smoked. I don't like the smell of smoke and it really would have made the house smell bad. I would have hated to come back home to a smoke-smelling house.

And we didn't want people who had pets because... my mom's allergic to cats. I'm allergic to cats. My sister is allergic to cats and dogs and just about anything else. Plus, she has asthma. And no amount of vacuuming and shampooing gets rid of hair and dander and all that. It's not just the problem with animals that can potentially mess up property. It's also that some people are allergic to animals.

I don't want to be constantly sneezing and sick just because I live in a house with a smoke smell and cat hair. I get enough illnesses during the course of a year without that.

I'm sorry your friend is having such trouble finding a house, and I hope he is able to find one. But before you point and accuse of discrimination, try looking at the situation from all sides.

There is another group of people who are discriminated against by landlords...single mothers. I know this because I experienced it first hand when my son was little. One particular story sticks in my mind even though it happened over 20 years ago. My son was just a baby at the time, less than a year old, and I was looking for an apartment of my own because at the time I was staying with my mom. I found an ad in the newspaper for a two bedroom flat that was reasonably priced and was nearby to where my friends and family lived. It was also on a bus line, which was important to me because at the time I didn't have a car. I called the number in the ad and spoke to a man who told me the apartment was still available and invited me to come take a look. My sister agreed to drive me and off we went. I arrived less than 15 minutes after completing the phone call. I was greeted by the landlord, who saw me standing there with my son in my arms, and immediately asked "Where's your husband?" I was a little taken aback by the question, but I politely explained that I was an unmarried mother with a job and I would be renting the apartment for my son and myself only. His response? "The apartment has been rented!" I explained that I had spoken to him less than 15 minutes earlier and was told that it was indeed available, but he refused to listen. He cut me off and ushered me out the door rather rudely. The apartment was indeed NOT rented at the time, this gentleman simply didn't want to rent to a single mother but wouldn't admit it because he knew that it was against the law to discriminate against me for that reason. What an (Ignore me, I'm using profanity)!!

There is another group of people who are discriminated against by landlords...single mothers.  I know this because I experienced it first hand when my son was little.  One particular story sticks in my mind even though it happened over 20 years ago.  My son was just a baby at the time, less than a year old, and I was looking for an apartment of my own because at the time I was staying with my mom.  I found an ad in the newspaper for a two bedroom flat that was reasonably priced and was nearby to where my friends and family lived.  It was also on a bus line, which was important to me because at the time I didn't have a car.  I called the number in the ad and spoke to a man who told me the apartment was still available and invited me to come take a look.  My sister agreed to drive me and off we went.  I arrived less than 15 minutes after completing the phone call.  I was greeted by the landlord, who saw me standing there with my son in my arms, and immediately asked "Where's your husband?"  I was a little taken aback by the question, but I politely explained that I was an unmarried mother with a job and I would be renting the apartment for my son and myself only.  His response?  "The apartment has been rented!"  I explained that I had spoken to him less than 15 minutes earlier and was told that it was indeed available, but he refused to listen.  He cut me off and ushered me out the door rather rudely.  The apartment was indeed NOT rented at the time, this gentleman simply didn't want to rent to a single mother but wouldn't admit it because he knew that it was against the law to discriminate against me for that reason.  What an (Ignore me, I'm using profanity)!!

If what he did was illegal, why did you not report him? Also, no need for profanity, as there is a whole dictionary worth of discriptive words to describe how you feel.

Hi there :clap:

I agree with you completely. A friend of mine had a really hard time looking for a place to rent because she owned one cat and two ducks. She smoked aswell but she didn't mention that, as she smokes outside all the time and she didn't think it was worth mentioning. She had to give her ducks and cat to another friend to look after while she was looking for a house to rent, as she had to find somewhere to live while she was looking for something suitable (which was a tiny, one bedroom flat) Eventually, she found a great house and the real estate agent let her have her pets there too.

I also rent a flat with my housemate. We find that we are contanstly being 'spied on' not only by the propery manager at the real estate agent but by other people that live in the complex. The flat we live in is part of a strata title, with about 15 other flats within the same area. There are a group of people that are in charge of the strata, they make all the decisions about maintenance etc. The property manager turns up at our place occassionally, without calling us first and she sends maintenance people over (we have requested them to fix things) without calling us to tell us when they will be coming over. This is rather annoying and frustrating. Its also a bit scary to see strange guys wandering around outside, when we don't know who they are. The other scary detail is once, when a maintenance person came over to fix something inside the unit, they borrowed the key from the property manager (this is allowed, as the real estate agent have a spare set of keys). Anyhoo, this maintenance person accidently, or maybe purposefully took the key away and didn't return it to the property manager. Now we have the added worry that some nutcase has our key and could let himself in at anytime.

Then there are older people living in the complex that seem to have nothing better to do than to 'police' the area. Don't get me wrong, this is great as they can tell when strange people are hanging around the place. However, they can go a bit over the top. For example, just yesterday some people were visiting the lady that lives opposite me. They had parked behind the lady's car so I couldn't get my car into my car port. This didn't really bother me, as all I had to do was ask the people to move their car but some old guy living on the other side of the complex thought this wasn't on. He even rang me at home (and he knew my name, even though I haven't seen him before) although I wasn't home then. When I got home, he told me to 'have a go' at those people for parking there. How ridiculous!! For one thing, that lady is really sick and her family have been dropping in to see if she is okay. And I think its a bit petty to be complaining about this sort of thing. Its as if he has nothing better to do.

Another thing that really ticks us off is the amount of rules the strata have made up about living in the complex. Things like 'no boxes to be kept in carports'. I got a letter from the strata telling me to get rid of the boxes in my carport. Then I noticed the guys next door had EVERYTHING imaginable in their car port - boxes, pieces of wood and an exercise bike, among other things (and a car too) My housemate and I lovingly refer to the strata people as 'The Box Police'. Other stuff too like home owners in the complex needing permission from the strata to do any home improvements. It reminds me of one of those planned communities, where every house has to have the same coloured mailbox (although not as bad........yet)

I could go on and on but I will stop there,

Linda

There is another group of people who are discriminated against by landlords...single mothers.  I know this because I experienced it first hand when my son was little.  One particular story sticks in my mind even though it happened over 20 years ago.  My son was just a baby at the time, less than a year old, and I was looking for an apartment of my own because at the time I was staying with my mom.  I found an ad in the newspaper for a two bedroom flat that was reasonably priced and was nearby to where my friends and family lived.  It was also on a bus line, which was important to me because at the time I didn't have a car.  I called the number in the ad and spoke to a man who told me the apartment was still available and invited me to come take a look.  My sister agreed to drive me and off we went.  I arrived less than 15 minutes after completing the phone call.  I was greeted by the landlord, who saw me standing there with my son in my arms, and immediately asked "Where's your husband?"  I was a little taken aback by the question, but I politely explained that I was an unmarried mother with a job and I would be renting the apartment for my son and myself only.  His response?  "The apartment has been rented!"  I explained that I had spoken to him less than 15 minutes earlier and was told that it was indeed available, but he refused to listen.  He cut me off and ushered me out the door rather rudely.  The apartment was indeed NOT rented at the time, this gentleman simply didn't want to rent to a single mother but wouldn't admit it because he knew that it was against the law to discriminate against me for that reason.  What an (Ignore me, I'm using profanity)!!

If what he did was illegal, why did you not report him? Also, no need for profanity, as there is a whole dictionary worth of discriptive words to describe how you feel.

Hi there :clap:

I don't mind if you use profanity in your post, that was the best way to describe the guy you were talking about and in my own opinion, he did sound like an a$$hole (I didn't use profanity, I just implied it :clap: )

You are right, single mothers are discrimiated against when they are looking for a place to rent. I think even these days, its very difficult for single mums to find suitable places to rent. If I owned a home and I was renting it out, I wouldn't really worry about the habits of the tenants (as long as they didn't do drugs) as long as they paid the rent on time and the kept the place neat and tidy (and they didn't trash the place). Children wouldn't be a problem either, or single parent families. As for smoking, I would prefer non-smokers but if the people were smokers, they would have to agree to smoke outside AT ALL TIMES. I would also allow pets (to be kept outside aswell).

I'm allowed to have one cat in my flat (I rent with my housemte) and I had to pay a pet bond of $100. That was just a once off payment but any damage the cat does to the place, I have to pay for myself. I would love to get another cat but its not allowed. Dogs are not allowed in my flat either. I think the next place I rent isn't going to have much garden (or no garden at all). Im sick of having to maintain a garden that doesn't even belong to me and forking out money to buy fertiliser for the plants. At least I don't have to do any mowing (that is all done by a contract mowing service, free of charge for me) Rent inspections annoy me too. We get them every three months and its a full on inspection. We have to clean EVERYTHING thoroughly, as if we would be moving out of the place. Its not enough to just clean stuff normally, the place has to be absolutely spotless. Even then, the property manager still finds something that isn't cleaned to her liking or some 'extra' weeds that are growing though the pavement.

Overall, I'm just sick of renting but I don't have the finances to buy my own home yet. I guess I'm lucky to be living in a city where rental properties are easy to come by and relatively cheap, while still being in resptable areas.

Linda

Maybe it's becuase they don't want the rented homes, which you don't own, to smell like cigerratte smoke, have pee stains on the floor, smell like dog poo, and so forth?  It's possible ya know. :clap:

Balderdash.

Banana's click here! :(

Click for Spoiler:

It's not discrimination. How can one be sure a smoker will smoke inside? Besides, you can tell your kids not to scribble on the walls, you can't tell your dog not to pee on the carpet. Gosh, I'm so tired of people yelling "discrimination!" at the drop of a hat. :clap:

I agee with you completely!! My housemate and I feel like our lives are being dictated by our propery manager. The landlord is fantastic, he doesn't really care about the flat being a bit of a mess when he comes to visit (which isn't very often as he lives in another city). By mess, I mean a few clothes on the bathroom floor, a pile of papers on the table and a few dishes in the sink. We keep the place clean and tidy, although I'm the most unorganised person in the world (my housemate has more organisational skills in her little toe) it does appear that we look after the place quite well. However, the property manager and the real estate agency in general are a different story. Its like they can't leave us alone. My housemate told me that out of all the places she has rented, she has never come across a real estate agency like the ones we have now.

Linda

I can see both sides. However the owner makes the rules. The house we own live in now was rented before we bought it and the people trashed it. Everything in the house was broken seriously. From the way the doors where hung to the mailbox to the fact that the cooler was messed up so when you turned it on water got inside the walls. Nothing in that house worked and we had to replace everything. Quite costly.

Also I dont like smell of smoke and wouldnt like my house to smell like it.

However animals are great.

The problem as I see it is that landlords are becoming entirely too invasive of their tenants privacy,and also too nitpicky about their properties.If they're worried about people smoking in or trashing their homes,they shouldn't rent them.

What?You don't think a prospective tenant can't lie and say they don't smoke,and then smoke up a cloud once the landlord is gone?And I'd challenge anyone here to walk into My house and tell me if anybody smokes here.Saying that the odor of smoke remains in a home forever is a lot of BS!If you properly clean and freshen your homes,NO smell can remain permanently fixed in place.

In another 10-years landlords will be telling people whether or not they can have sex in their homes,the way things are going.

Its ridiculous.

Everytime I encounter anyone who supports the idiotic rules most landlords force their tenants to live by,Communism makes more and more sense to me. :clap:

The problem as I see it is that landlords are becoming entirely too invasive of their tenants privacy,and also too nitpicky about their properties.If they're worried about people smoking in or trashing their homes,they shouldn't rent them.

What?You don't think a prospective tenant can't lie and say they don't smoke,and then smoke up a cloud once the landlord is gone?And I'd challenge anyone here to walk into My house and tell me if anybody smokes here.Saying that the odor of smoke remains in a home forever is a lot of BS!If you properly clean and freshen your homes,NO smell can remain permanently fixed in place.

In another 10-years landlords will be telling people whether or not they can have sex in their homes,the way things are going.

Its ridiculous.

Everytime I encounter anyone who supports the idiotic rules most landlords force their tenants to live by,Communism makes more and more sense to me. :clap:

Actually, you can't get rid of the smell of smoke that easilly. I know from experrience.

(No, I never smoked, but the home I live in used to be the home of a smoker.)

Well,as a smoker of 20-years I have some experience with this subject as well,Captain.The smell of smoke can be removed without great difficulty.Pet dander and the smell of pet urine and poo,now that's something else altogether...

:clap: