Sign in to follow this  
MaQuIs_PrInCeSs

Harry Still An Ensign

Ach I think there was no point because he would still have had to do the same job and so forth. The only benefit he would've had would have been the ability to boss others lower than him about. Also, if you promote him, you'll have to promote all of them and after 20 years there would be about 8 Captains!!!!!

:andorian: Hey! With all that Spork said, do any of ya think that it was Harry after all that made it back to Earth? Or maybe that was a CLONE!!!!! :theking:

Ach I think there was no point because he would still have had to do the same job and so forth. The only benefit he would've had would have been the ability to boss others lower than him about. Also, if you promote him, you'll have to promote all of them and after 20 years there would be about 8 Captains!!!!!

I agree that there would have been little point in promoting him, due to his having to do the same job anyway. I mean why give someone a new shiny title when they are still going to be doing the same job.

I think the guy shoulda been promoted just so he coulda felt better about himself..it is a sign of respect and accomplishment.

I think the guy shoulda been promoted just so he coulda felt better about himself..it is a sign of respect and accomplishment.

I can see your point, but a token promotion would have ultimately made him feel worse about himself. But by waiting until he returned to the Alpha quadrant and letting starfleet do the promotion directly that is a sign of definite accomplishment that he could be proud of.

Harry should have received at least a field promotion to Jr. Lieutenant. Once he got back to the Alpha quadrant his rank would probably have been confirmed. I think Nog's promotion in DS9 was a cobat promotion. Star Fleet was loosing so many junior officers several spots opened up. Of course he deserved one anyway.

ok, before I get killed for this, I've been a trekkie for a relatively short time (not even a year) - what's a field promotion?

ok, before I get killed for this, I've been a trekkie for a relatively short time (not even a year) - what's a field promotion?

A field promotion is one that isn't quite official. That means, Star Fleet command hasn't approved it yet. They used this a lot on Voyager. For example:

The Marquis: They were all given rank, but not all of them had been through the academy.

Tom Paris: He was kicked out of the academy, so he was never officially a Fleet officer. But Janeway gave him a temporary rank of Lt. so that he could be her pilot.

So yeah, it's just an unofficial, temporary rank.

:rolleyes:

Click for Spoiler:

In the newest Voyager novel "Homecoming", Harry gets promoted along with Vorik and Lyssa Cambell. I know the book isn't canon, but it still answers that question. Paris and Torres both became Lt. Commanders, and Janeway to Admiral as well.

Well, i think the important in this is that Harry is a senior officer..

You can't have promotion when no one is departed.

Well, it might have deserved to be lieutenant tho.. But would it change something to his tasks and status?

Poor Harry was always too nice for his own good. If he'd a cracked a few skulls, he'd have moved real quick, works for Klingons I think it would've worked for Harry. :martok:

Hardly, he was just to busy falling in love with, holgrams, 7, and some twins, wasn't it? Couldn't keep his mind on his duties. :martok:

"No, no, I think it's great. She's not dead, she's not borg, and she's not a hologram" lol. yeah... I donno. I always thought he acted more like a leutenant, because he was a senior officer. He also actually made some choices on the show, and did stuff. But yeah, should have been promoted.

HK, Assuming you make every promotion right off the bat, Harry Kim would have been damned hear a Lieutenant Commander by the end, NOT a Captain. and Garret Wang was never really thrilled about Kim not getting promoted. he said in a Convention Story that he once met a former Naval Officer named Harry Kim, who recieved his commission the year Voyager started. he said "Hey, we're both Ensign Kim! we are alike!" the guy said "Not really, I got promoted"

I don't think he was promoted because there was no position for him to be promoted to.... the only person who ever got promoted was tom paris (mabe the doctorbut that doesn't count) and tome paris got demoted later~

Actually, Tuvok got promoted. as for why Kim never got promoted? Well, from the sounds of it, Berman doesn't much care for Garret Wang.

Blame it all on B&B!!!!!!! Just do it for they are the devils of this world!!!!!!

?stone_vulcan? knows all, listen and heed his wise words of wisiness

thank you lol!! im flattered but the way i look at it is that there wasnt enough positions tom was demoted then got his rank bak.. so that doesnt count.. no one with a higher rank than harry died..... or mysteriously vanished *shifts eyes and looks guilty* Kim should have been promoted but i just cant see him as lt kim.. like common you kinda view him as a child.. then when he becomes a lt he suddenly gets older... Also he has the nightwatch... so thats kinda like a promotion.. isnt it?

He wasn't even the real Harry Kim. The real one died in an early episode. What they had left with was an alternate universe Harry Kim. Alternate universe people aren't eligible for promotion.....lol.

btw.....I wonder if Harry ever told his parents that he wasn't the same Harry they gave birth to?

Technically, it was a duplication, not an alternate universe. Who's to say that the surviving Voyager wasn't the copy, and Kim the real one?