Sign in to follow this  
Sirius

Q Theory

I was watching the TOS episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" with my youngest daughter early this morning,and she raised a question.

Could the Q be the members of the S.S. Valiants crew,mutated into near omnipotent beings,like Dr.Dehner and Gary Mitchell?

I told her that I rather doubted it,as the Valiant was destroyed and only one member of its crew displayed the hyper-ESP abilities apparent in Mitchell and Dehner.

But I thought I'd post the theory and see what you all thought.

Aren't the question kids raise while watching Trek great! :huh:

I too doubt they are as she thought them to be but I sometimes wonder about their origins; are they a naturally occurring species or did they (as Q suggested but could have been lying) evolve from a lower form, was it because of some drug or could the gift of immortality been given as a punishment? I really don't know and whatever the truth, I doubt they want us to know it.

I know that books are not cannon but in Q squared by Peter David it was actually Q that was giving them their powers as at the time Q had been hurt and he was only thought.

I think the Q have existed since the beggining of the universe. I think this was mentioned in a Voyager ep. Q was concerned that HUMANS had the potential to evolve into a Q like being as well. Thats what you were talking about I think.

I can't say as I've ever really considered that possibility,sirius.

:) I think I'm with you,though.I'm pretty sure the Valiant's recorder marker said that the entire crew were blown to smithereens,and only a single crewmember survived the passage through the barrier to evolve into whatever gary mitchell turned into.