Sign in to follow this  
Sarah

Just A Quick Question

ok can any one answer this for me.......

I have been watching Enterprise and something has cought my eye.

the klingons. their facial ridges!! I dont know why but it bugs me.

If you watch tos they dont have the ridges then in ds9 Worf says something about the change and how it is imbarassing to talk about.

ok so here is my question....how come enterprise klingons look like tng + klingons if enterprise is befor kirk on the time line?

can any one help me understand? :wow:

Capt d, there is no real answer. No one really knows what explanation Worf kept secret ("Trials and Tribble-ations") about the TOS Klingons. Quote: "It is not to be discussed with outsiders." It is one of those "convienient" secrets they made up just so they could keep the entire Star Trek world continuous (I don't even think thats a word...) They put normal Klingons in Enterprise for the same reason.

The first Star Trek movie is set 2 1/2 years after TOS was cancelled, and the brief Klingon scene at the beginning has the new Klingon look.

The simple answer is: They couldn't afford they look they allways wanted till they made the first movie! :wow:

I remember reading something about this when enterprise first started, an interview with B+B or something... anyway they were asked why the Klingons were bumpy headed and they sad that they spent more time around the board table discussing this issue than anything else! In the end, it was a decision, they had to decide bumpy or smooth and they went with bumpy, purely because it received the most votes i guess...

i personally prefer the bumpy look and don't mind much about the whole issue of continuity. I mean, i have heard so many people (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) about it, mostly on the official ST '(I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)y' board (which i abandoned after i found this lovely and friendly one!) and amongst my group of friends and in the end i am just like 'Nevermind, it's only makeup it's the characters we are interested in watching...'

But i am not saying you are not allowed to be dismayed about the makeup, we all have different things that rattle us! Plus there are many theories about at the moment about genetic modification and toxic accidents or something. I'm sure that they will think up an adequate explanation by the time they really need one... maybe they will meet up with a smooth headed klingon at some point and the transition will be explained... It might also be that the 'pocket of space' idea that was explored in another thread about monsters might be right and there are 2 breeds of klingon and the smooth ones inhabit that pocket that TOS was travelling through... hmmm i think too much i fear!

:wow:

live long and prosper.

You go right on thinking too much and most important, keep posting your thoughts! ENT is a prequel to ST and I think the producers will someday pick up the ball and run with it to the end zone once and for all.

ok can any one answer this for me.......

I have been watching Enterprise and something has cought my eye. 

the klingons. their facial  ridges!!  I dont know why but it bugs me.

If you watch tos they dont have the ridges then in ds9 Worf  says something about the change and how it is imbarassing to talk about. 

ok so here is my question....how come enterprise klingons look like tng + klingons if enterprise is befor kirk on the time line?

can any one help me understand? :wow:

Its simply down to the fact that TOS never had the budget to create a recurring alien race that used too much make-up. The way I think about the issue is just to ignore it and focus on the quality of the script, which is the most important thing! :wow:

Its simply down to the fact that TOS never had the budget to create a recurring alien race that used too much make-up. The way I think about the issue is just to ignore it and focus on the quality of the script, which is the most important thing! :blink:

here here, i agree totally. it was just a budget issue. anyway makeup effect back in the 60s were probably about as bad as the special effects. RODENBURY probably had a lot more to worry about than makeup anyway, just getting the show produced and on the air took a lot for him. i think you just need to sit back, relax, and enjoy all that is star trek. anyway if you really look at it ENTERPRISES bridge is supposed to be older, and more anitquated thatn TOS, but its not, it looks hundreds of years more advanced than TOS. they work with what they have at hand, and what is most practical too.

I'm not sure i agree on that bridge design thought.. I think the NX-01 is the smallest and less advanced (which it of course should be). Just look at the crews and captains quarters and compare it to all the other Star Trek series. I think the design of the ships are very good if you look at it from a timeline perspective.

I'm not sure i agree on that bridge design thought.. I think the NX-01 is the smallest and less advanced (which it of course should be). Just look at the crews and captains quarters and compare it to all the other Star Trek series. I think the design of the ships are very good if you look at it from a timeline perspective.

So true. Archer's quarters could probably fit in Picard's closet.

Do you think it is time for some advancements to be made - not big ones, but improvements on sensors, etc. I recall T'Pol once saying that some Vulcan toys had more advanced sensors or something like that. With the different species they have met, some friendly, I wonder why they haven't incorporated more alien technology to improve the operations of the ship.

It might also be that the 'pocket of space' idea that was explored in another thread about monsters might be right and there are 2 breeds of klingon and the smooth ones inhabit that pocket that TOS was travelling through... hmmm i think too much i fear!

:blink:

live long and prosper.

2 breeds of Klingon? Nope! We saw some TOS Klingons with the "new" look in DS9! So, there goes that theory! ;)

Shouldn't a big question be: How did they go from smooth to bumpy'n cool in the 2 1/2 years between TOS & ST:TMP (timeline wise)?

I just let it go at TOS having a low budget. Besides, by the time they need to explain it, I'm sure they'll come up with something spiffy!

I guess one thing we can agree on is that the Klingons on TOS were the exception and not the rule. I agree that it was simply a matter of budget and make-up technology restraints. They simply didn't have the materials then like they have now.

The Kahless clone in TNG had ridges, Enterprise Klingons have ridges so for the TOS Klingons to not have ridges could be explained away as a "different breed" as suggested or maybe they weren't 100% Klingon. I know all of the 1/2 Klingon-1/2 other speicies we have seen have all had ridges (K'Ehleyr, B'Elanna, the one in Birthright) but maybe some don't.